DIY Hawaii axis deer hunt

JNDEER

WKR
Hey guys, just got back from Maui, I did do a Diy public land hunt out there. Hunted for one day only, and I can tell you I shot a MONSTER axis buck, but there is a lot more to the story unfortunately. I am going to have to do a full write up and start a thread on this one. It was a WILD RIDE.
Don’t hold out man- out with the pics- you can follow it up with a story later

WBrim

WKR
Hey guys, just got back from Maui, I did do a Diy public land hunt out there. Hunted for one day only, and I can tell you I shot a MONSTER axis buck, but there is a lot more to the story unfortunately. I am going to have to do a full write up and start a thread on this one. It was a WILD RIDE.
Let’s see it!

I wouldnt plan on it. I got lucky and hunted it right when a certain area opened back up so the deer had moved back in. I know people that had previously hunted the same area for 30 years and never seen an axis, and it sounds like it is back to them being on private for the most part.

Yea i saw a couple does early spring which gave me hope but it has been pounded every day since and I have seen way less animals the last couple of times I went there and gave up. You would look on the sign in sheet and there would be 20-30 names for one day and maybe a goat taken so it makes sense with the pressure that it is becoming a barren wasteland again. Anything that was in there got shot and anything that didn't probably moved out to adjacent private.

diverc18

FNG
Was up there earlier last week and saw a couple people manage to find some deer. 2 does and a buck were taken according to the sign in sheet. They are doing some construction in the unit and looks like they are also putting a high fence around the entire unit which sucks to see. Still get plenty goats up there though.

blue62

FNG
Was up there earlier last week and saw a couple people manage to find some deer. 2 does and a buck were taken according to the sign in sheet. They are doing some construction in the unit and looks like they are also putting a high fence around the entire unit which sucks to see. Still get plenty goats up there though.
High fence where?

Anyone know why the 2024 state hunt limits just reset to a single either sex deer?

I haven’t seen much sign of a dwindling population on Lanai, so wondering what is driving this.

dv808

FNG
Anyone know why the 2024 state hunt limits just reset to a single either sex deer?

I haven’t seen much sign of a dwindling population on Lanai, so wondering what is driving this.
It is dwindling. Lucky there's even a hunt next year.

Sent from my XQ-BC62 using Tapatalk

Yeah I think it’s down. I saw the harvest numbers the week I was there for the state hunt this April, and it wasn’t much considering the number of hunters.

I’ve been lucky then as I just hadn’t observed that. I figured that was the case though given the amended announcement. But no mention of that in the mammendment.

I saw the same numbers for the state hunt in June, but hunted Pulama side and we saw plenty deer, but no large herds. The numbers I have seen since I started hunting Lanai in 2021 has been steady, but it’s never matched the numbers my Maui hunting buddies show me!

I hunted Pulama one day as well on top of the two days of the state hunt, that’s where I shot the one buck I got on the trip. I also saw a decent amount of deer in groups of 1-3 down there.

All the locals I talked to there in Lanai lament the days gone by, but idk for sure. Maui is for sure insane, it’s just such a shame they treat the deer there as outfitter only, and for premium prices too.

Jens22

FNG
Lanai does a yearly public axis hunt. 100% draw for archery. Near 100% for rifle.

I PM’d you my number to chat if you like. You can hunt private on lanai too for reasonably cheap year around.

hunting out here is awesome. Highly recommend it.
I am trying to plan this as we speak, can I ask you a few questions?