Diy carbon pole

Lukeyn

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking about spending $45 to make my own carbon fiber tipi pole. Not sure on the od. size to use yet, but 4 tubes would be 80 inches. Buy two at 20 mm I'd. And two at 20mm od and see if they slide inside one another.

5 × Kayak Paddle Tent Pole Push Button Spring Snap Clip Locking Tube Pin (single pin(solid), 9mm) Amazon.com : 5 x Kayak Paddle Tent Pole Push Button Spring Snap Clip Locking Tube Pin (single pin(solid), 9mm) : Sports & Outdoors

ARRIS 20mm x 22mm x 500mm 22mm Outer Dia. 3K Roll Wrapped 100% Carbon Fiber Tube Matt Surface (2 PCS) Amazon.com: ARRIS 20mm x 22mm x 500mm 22mm Outer Dia. 3K Roll Wrapped 100% Carbon Fiber Tube Matt Surface (2 PCS): Industrial & Scientific

ARRIS 3K Roll Wrapped 100% Pure Carbon Fiber Tube 18mm x 20mm x 500mm(2PCS) Glossy Surface Amazon.com: ARRIS 3K Roll Wrapped 100% Pure Carbon Fiber Tube 18mm x 20mm x 500mm(2PCS) Glossy Surface: Industrial & Scientific

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about spending $45 to make my own carbon fiber tipi pole. Not sure on the od. size to use yet, but 4 tubes would be 80 inches. Buy two at 20 mm I'd. And two at 20mm od and see if they slide inside one another.

5 × Kayak Paddle Tent Pole Push Button Spring Snap Clip Locking Tube Pin (single pin(solid), 9mm) Amazon.com : 5 x Kayak Paddle Tent Pole Push Button Spring Snap Clip Locking Tube Pin (single pin(solid), 9mm) : Sports & Outdoors

ARRIS 20mm x 22mm x 500mm 22mm Outer Dia. 3K Roll Wrapped 100% Carbon Fiber Tube Matt Surface (2 PCS) Amazon.com: ARRIS 20mm x 22mm x 500mm 22mm Outer Dia. 3K Roll Wrapped 100% Carbon Fiber Tube Matt Surface (2 PCS): Industrial & Scientific

ARRIS 3K Roll Wrapped 100% Pure Carbon Fiber Tube 18mm x 20mm x 500mm(2PCS) Glossy Surface Amazon.com: ARRIS 3K Roll Wrapped 100% Pure Carbon Fiber Tube 18mm x 20mm x 500mm(2PCS) Glossy Surface: Industrial & Scientific

Cool. Curious to see the result of your efforts. Thanks !

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Very cool idea! Please post results once you've put it together. I've wanted one of these for my Tut but never felt like I could justify the cost to myself, and had some concern over losing my investment in high winds. But I'd be a player at $45 for sure.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Hope it works out, then I can use your idea to build my own for my cimarron. I always liked the lighter pole but the cost of carbon vs the Rei pole was to much of a savings for a couple oz’s

How did it turn out?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I made some with carbon tubes available on ebay (mostly advertised for drone building)

I have two sizes. The larger diameter one is made with 4 sections of 16mmOD x 14mmID Tube and 6" sections of 14mmOD x 12mm ID tubes for the joints.

The smaller is 12mmOD x 10mmID for the main pole with 10mmOD x 8MM ID joints.

The joints are glued in to one side and they just slide together like a tent pole(mine don't have shock cord)

I ordered small rubber feet for the end and I made and adjustable extension for the smaller one with scraps of pole and a worm gear hose clamp that adds a 1/2oz but I don't use it.

The big one weights 5.6 OZ and the small one weights 3.7oz both are 64" for use with my SO LBO.

The small one works but I have absolute confidence in the larger one and have used it many times in good winds.

This is the type of material I used.
3k Carbon Fiber Tube 10mm 12mm 16mm 20mm 25mm 30mm X 500MM Glossy US | eBay

I'll post some pics tonight.

thanks,
Chase

Here are some pictures:

001f2150c7fafecf0187eda64a880254.jpg

The ends of a joint:
01a09016d66fd22443c73aa5a8cc21cd.jpg

16716cf24dc477af00cacd22af0e2da6.jpg

c74a87eb54c2c7a655a8d0d6df4aec65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Panther City’s design. I bought a used SO 6 man w/ carbon pole and the holes for the metal snaps are significantly egg shaped from use. Not sure what all it’s been through but I’ve considered going to a local scrap yard to look for ti tubing to replace it because I really don’t want a spear through my tipi on a stormy night miles from the truck. My vacation/hunting time is worth the investment in gear that will last.

My carbon tubes arrived, fast shipping considering they came from China.
Not what I expected, pretty thin... But I'll test them out. I am going to try gorilla epoxy to glue the smaller pieces in.

Make sure that the internal ferrules/sleeves are fairly thick walled because that will be the first place to fail if not. In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to go a little overboard on the ferrules, the very small wt. penalty is well worth it IMO.

Too late now ha, I bought the same larger ones as mentioned above but I'll be testing it next weekend.

Back