Disregard politics or people what’s the worst state to live in?

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Florida. I lived in Southwest Florida for 3 years. It’s flatter than Kansas. Unless you have private land there are minimal hunting opportunities, slightly better freshwater fishing opportunities. The ocean fishing was being decimated by the red tide. The weather is unpleasant for 10 months out of the year. The mountain biking suck, the camping sucks, etc.

The only way I’d move back was if I had a one year contract for so much money I’d never have to work another day in my life.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Florida. I lived in Southwest Florida for 3 years. It’s flatter than Kansas. Unless you have private land there are minimal hunting opportunities, slightly better freshwater fishing opportunities. The ocean fishing was being decimated by the red tide. The weather is unpleasant for 10 months out of the year. The mountain biking suck, the camping sucks, etc.

The only way I’d move back was if I had a one year contract for so much money I’d never have to work another day in my life.
So, let me see if I have it right, You don't like Florida

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
So, let me see if I have it right, You don't like Florida
Correct! But if you like Florida that’s okay with me. I met a lot of people who absolutely loved it. Northern Florida or the Keys may have been a much better experience too.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last fall I stayed a night in Wheat Ridge to get some traditional archery coaching at rmsgear. I found a Holiday Inn online that was in every close proximity to the store, so I booked it. When my wife and I got there we were shocked. Large numbers of homeless, tweaky looking people were everywhere in that neighborhood 😬. We were pretty nervous that our recently purchased truck might get broken into overnight. Luckily we didn't have any problems. This taught me an important lesson to always read the reviews before booking a hotel, because a number of people in the reviews section commented on all the junkies in the area.
Oh the stories I have of the area :eek:.

Earp

FNG
I had to spend a few months in Las Vegas for work, and I think Nevada has to be one of the worst states to live in.

Everything about the Front Range blows.

Closer to Kansas or Nebraska than the real/wild CO.

cck311

FNG
I'm from the plains and have lived all over the west and Alaska. I live in Vermont now. My partner has lived all over and has lived in a few other countries. It's by far the shittiest place we've ever lived in general and how the people are to anyone they haven't known since childhood. It's also more expensive here in general than DC, Hawaii, and NYC. We've lived in some of those and that's from comparing with friends over the phone who live in those places right now. As far as hunting goes, poaching is very rampant here and it's just not good. The fishing is pretty good.

Being from the plains, there is a level of arrogance and ignorance in Vermont that just rubs me the wrong way. The culture is to half ass stuff. I'm liberal as shit, but I have stories about dealing with Sander's staffers that are just horrid. Next level incompetence. Everything is half assed here. You know what people say about folks from Texas and how they think it's the best and say stupid shit about that? Well, people here are actually like that. It's amazing.

I think we'd dig it some if we were vacationing. It's the most xenophobic and NIMBY place we've ever lived. If it wasn't for tourism, the state would be the poorest in the country. I can't wait to move. The people here have been sniffing their own farts too long. I grew up on a ranch and have worked in some of the most remote areas of the US. My partner lived in the Alaska bush a few years. Do you know what it's like to have some asshole who's never travelled outside of a 200 mile circle tell you that you have no idea what rural means and you'll have to learn now that you've moved to Vermont? It's weird. At our first apartment, our neighbor bragged to me that she'd never left the state the first time I met her. WTF.

The best way I can describe it is we have all the inconveniences of city life as well as rural life. But absolutely none of the benefits. On top of that, the people in general are super entitled and arrogant. Plus they are assholes if they haven't known you for 5 generations. They try to take advantage of you, steal from you, etc.

SWFLhntr

Lil-Rokslider

God, I wish there were a few million more people like you!

cck311

FNG
Agreed. This state is beautiful, tons of stuff to do, but certain things have ruined it over the years. I'd love to leave but don't know where to go.
I think for most people when you look at it from all angles, the grass doesn't really get greener on the other.side. I'm getting fed up with what Utah is turning into, but when I think about everything that makes a place a great place to live I can't get motivated to go anywhere else. If you got family, a career, and a home wherever you are you might as well stay.