Dishonest taxidermist

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
Last guy I used did an outstanding job but took 2+ years to get.
His excuse was all the deer heads he had to do and that they were his "bread and butter".
As if my money (around $3700) was no good.

IdahoBeav

WKR
Last guy I used did an outstanding job but took 2+ years to get.
His excuse was all the deer heads he had to do and that they were his "bread and butter".
As if my money (around $3700) was no good.
That doesn't necessarily mean that your business isn't as important. It could mean that the deer heads are his routine and general work, and your work requires a higher level of care.

There are a lot of taxidermists out there that are part time. It will take them a lot longer to get the work done because it’s easy to get burned out working all day at your normal job then every night and weekend in the taxidermy shop. They start taking more and
More time off from the shop until they are forced to get things done. Other shops are full time and have high turnover rates so the owner can get swamped and behind really fast. If that happens then the owner needs to be honest and upfront and return phone calls. If that’s the case then just stay in touch and if the taxidermist is good and honest then the work will be done. Don’t make him/her rush through it. Some of the best also only take in a certain amount of work that they know they can finish within a years time. I didn’t mount anything in the fall. Just worked on euros, turning, fleshing, and salting capes. Mounted everything in the spring and summer. Sometimes took me longer because I also had to run the meat plant as well.

The best thing is do your due diligence just like you would with an outfitter, meat processor, attorney, doctors, etc. there bad ones in every profession out there and really good ones.

knehrke

FNG
I had a taxidermist pass away while my mount was in their care. The estate lawyers advised my that I would have access to their workshop for a one-week period, albeit along with everyone else. I guess I wasn't fast enough, because somebody grabbed my mount. I now have a steelhead on the wall of my office that was "left-over" after all of the customers took what was theirs (and apparently what was mine, too - since they didn't attempt to verify authenticity). This of course is an unlikely scenario, but makes an amusing story twenty years later.

rcb2000

WKR
I think you just need to find a reputable taxidermist,,, not some dude that changes locations.

I go to Rapalee taxidermy in Virginia, this is a family run business open for 50 years. When you see that guys drop off African stuff, you know it’s a good sign.

OP
DeerCatcherUT/CO

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
I think you just need to find a reputable taxidermist,,, not some dude that changes locations.

I go to Rapalee taxidermy in Virginia, this is a family run business open for 50 years. When you see that guys drop off African stuff, you know it’s a good sign.

That’s nice. A little too far away for me unfortunately. I think I’m done with shoulder mounts until I break 200” though. I’ll be lucky to get my 190 back and I’ll just do my own euros from now on. This has been too rough on me

I’ll also add that if he is telling you it’s still drying then that actually could be the case. The other option is that he is telling you that to give him some time to actually mount your deer. I would definitely keep in touch with him on a regular basis but keep it professional and civil. If he completely stops all contact even texting then there is a problem. He could be ticked off for whatever reason and decided to mount your deer when he feels like it which is a crappy attitude to have. Some more advice from a former taxidermist is also to never ever pay the full price up front. Only pay the required deposit and then set money aside for the remainder of the bill until the mount is done. Or make a few payments here and there and keep a record of your payments. Withhold the full payment until the mount is done. I never minded when customers wanted to keep their antlers until it’s ready to mount. I would call them to bring them back usually within the week when I was going to mount their animal. This helps to avoid any problems of theft, broken antlers, fires, etc. By theft I mean if someone breaks in and steals antlers which does happen.

I’ve had a few difficult customers over the years that insisted on me going above and beyond just for them and then refuse to pay for my extra time and attention. Arguing with me over specific hair patterns on their animal then showing me a picture which actually always helped me by showing the customer that the hair patterns on their mount are correct. I had to rebuild a broken tine on an elk that was missing maybe 1 1/2” that the customer accused me of breaking. When he showed me a picture it was indeed broken before it was brought to me. I still fixed it no charge. There are a lot more stories I have from both the taxidermy side and meat processing side. I have always been honest and up front with everyone. Some mounts took me longer than I initially promised and had to admit that it was my fault because of whatever reason.

I hope it works out for you.

OP
DeerCatcherUT/CO

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll also add that if he is telling you it’s still drying then that actually could be the case. The other option is that he is telling you that to give him some time to actually mount your deer. I would definitely keep in touch with him on a regular basis but keep it professional and civil. If he completely stops all contact even texting then there is a problem. He could be ticked off for whatever reason and decided to mount your deer when he feels like it which is a crappy attitude to have. Some more advice from a former taxidermist is also to never ever pay the full price up front. Only pay the required deposit and then set money aside for the remainder of the bill until the mount is done. Or make a few payments here and there and keep a record of your payments. Withhold the full payment until the mount is done. I never minded when customers wanted to keep their antlers until it’s ready to mount. I would call them to bring them back usually within the week when I was going to mount their animal. This helps to avoid any problems of theft, broken antlers, fires, etc. By theft I mean if someone breaks in and steals antlers which does happen.

I’ve had a few difficult customers over the years that insisted on me going above and beyond just for them and then refuse to pay for my extra time and attention. Arguing with me over specific hair patterns on their animal then showing me a picture which actually always helped me by showing the customer that the hair patterns on their mount are correct. I had to rebuild a broken tine on an elk that was missing maybe 1 1/2” that the customer accused me of breaking. When he showed me a picture it was indeed broken before it was brought to me. I still fixed it no charge. There are a lot more stories I have from both the taxidermy side and meat processing side. I have always been honest and up front with everyone. Some mounts took me longer than I initially promised and had to admit that it was my fault because of whatever reason.

I hope it works out for you.
Yes that’s what I thought I was doing. I kept the antlers at my house for almost a year when he told me he was ready to put it on the mannequin, meaning the cape was tanned and it should be (in my mind) another month and a half (2 weeks to mount and a month to dry) and that was a year ago. I paid him the remainder at that time. When he called me back after a dozen emails and failed calls, he said he would rush it and get it done and I told him to please not rush it, I would rather wait a little longer for a good mount. My problem is it’s been two and a half months since he said it would be done and he says it’s still drying. Definitely done with taxidermists from now on. Euros look good enough for me.

WCB

WKR
Amazing how many guys have shitty experiences with Taxis....luckily my taxi is a good family friend my dad has know for 40 ish years. Even then I have brought stuff to other taxis and never had a problem. Of course I did a bit of asking and research about them before bringing stuff to them.

Like some others my number 1 recommendation with big game is keep the antlers and horns at home until the taxi needs them. Guys wait 10 years or more at times to draw a tag. Shoot the animal and withing a day or two leave the horns/antlers for 1-2 or more years with someone. Most the time now I do a diy euro until my taxi calls for the horns. Cap the skull at that point and bring them to him. Max 1month he has them and then back to my house mounted.

I would simply show up to his place during business hours and ask to see the progress or ask him to give you your animals back and refund and you will take them somewhere else. Plain and simple.

I’m a commercial taxidermist 8months out of the year. I’ll say this taxidermist are a lot like mechanics. I’ve been both. There’s guys you want working on your stuff and there are guys I wouldn’t let anywhere near my stuff. This unfortunately sounds like something shady happened. Maybe he lost them in the move and wont admit the loss yet. May not ever admit to anything. Sorry to hear it.

It’s not uncommon for clients to ask to keep their antlers or euro until it’s time to put the mount together. Often I’m left waiting for the client to bring the antlers back which pushes you back in line. I work in a decent size shop, hundreds of antlers, rarely does something get misplaced or completely lost but it does happen.

Yes that’s what I thought I was doing. I kept the antlers at my house for almost a year when he told me he was ready to put it on the mannequin, meaning the cape was tanned and it should be (in my mind) another month and a half (2 weeks to mount and a month to dry) and that was a year ago. I paid him the remainder at that time. When he called me back after a dozen emails and failed calls, he said he would rush it and get it done and I told him to please not rush it, I would rather wait a little longer for a good mount. My problem is it’s been two and a half months since he said it would be done and he says it’s still drying. Definitely done with taxidermists from now on. Euros look good enough for me.
You definitely have a problem here. Once he said he was ready for the antlers then the mount should have been completely done within a month. That includes mounting, drying, finish work, and finally painting.

Don’t give up on all taxidermists because of a bad experience with one. There are a lot of good ones out there. There was a taxi in my state that did the same thing to one of my customers. Promised the mount in a year, then 2, then finally finished after 2 1/2 years. Ended up getting the court and LE involved to get his mount. Picks it up and immediately sees that’s it’s not his antlers on his mount. Made him take the antlers off and a name is written on the skull cap of who it belongs to. Found his hidden in some obscure back room. Brought it to me and I mounted it for him with a replacement cape. The taxidermist ended up being an alcoholic that hid it well. Going through a messy divorce and stealing antlers and trying to make a buck off of them. He ended up with a lot of fines he had to pay. Extreme example here.

Fujicon

FNG
Lots of negative in this thread. All that negative reflects a lot of reality. I feel for every one of you who got screwed by a bad taxidermist that chose to be an unethical low-life. However...

Perhaps this thread is an opportunity to follow in the footsteps of rcb2000 above and share the names of reputable taxidermists, and where they're located, who have done the job right without the screw. Anyone else willing to share their good experience?

OP
DeerCatcherUT/CO

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of negative in this thread. All that negative reflects a lot of reality. I feel for every one of you who got screwed by a bad taxidermist that chose to be an unethical low-life. However...

Perhaps this thread is an opportunity to follow in the footsteps of rcb2000 above and share the names of reputable taxidermists, and where they're located, who have done the job right without the screw. Anyone else willing to share their good experience?
No. Please don’t hijack my thread. The thread is an opportunity to talk about what happened to me and this specific shop I’m dealing with if you have experience with him or this situation. I don’t need to hear about positive experiences, lol I can see them in diners and sporting goods stores all across the country

OP
DeerCatcherUT/CO

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
You definitely have a problem here. Once he said he was ready for the antlers then the mount should have been completely done within a month. That includes mounting, drying, finish work, and finally painting.

Don’t give up on all taxidermists because of a bad experience with one. There are a lot of good ones out there. There was a taxi in my state that did the same thing to one of my customers. Promised the mount in a year, then 2, then finally finished after 2 1/2 years. Ended up getting the court and LE involved to get his mount. Picks it up and immediately sees that’s it’s not his antlers on his mount. Made him take the antlers off and a name is written on the skull cap of who it belongs to. Found his hidden in some obscure back room. Brought it to me and I mounted it for him with a replacement cape. The taxidermist ended up being an alcoholic that hid it well. Going through a messy divorce and stealing antlers and trying to make a buck off of them. He ended up with a lot of fines he had to pay. Extreme example here.
He better not try that with me. The buck that he has of mine is worth me getting a felony if I can get it back