Different bullets for cow elk

mtnbound

WKR

KsRancher

WKR
My opinion probably will be frowned upon. But if we are talking 100-200yds. I am shooting her in the head with whatever gun/bullet combo is the most accurate.

Are we really suggesting a bunch of pea shooters for a guy who said he wants an elk to drop in its tracks? You guys make me shake my head.

These days everyone wants to shoot the lightest thing they can. Why don’t you shoot the most deadly gun you can handle instead. Cut off the man bun, get rid of the electric vehicle and try thinking old-school for a change. Laugh at me now, but think of me when that elk is on the other side of the fence.

Cows and does were put on this world to shoot with whatever you want - grab that old rifle that never sees action, or that big pistola passed down from great gramps
A 6mm limited expansion bullet doesn’t work all that well on elk, so it’s good you’re not doing that. Hundreds of elk are killed off haystacks every year by ranch kids and ratty old 243 rifles with Tasco scopes shooting cheap Corloct ammo, so you’ll be fine.
Cows and Does are here for the same reasons bucks and bulls are here and they die the same way with same cartridges when the goal is take them as cleanly as possible. Should not be any difference on choice of cartridge or shot placement.

A cow means meat hunt right?
High shoulder shot = lost meat.
I’d put the first in the boiler room
Rack and repeat as desired.
What is the hunt called when hunting bulls?

What’s the point of shooting a cow if ur just going to blow up shoulder meat and everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's not a good shot on a bull either... but makes for great pics of damage.

CMF

WKR
If you're worried about your elk getting onto private after you shoot, I'd use a bigger bullet/gun and shoot for the shoulder to put it down.
yep, that's why I love my 45-70, sitting on the edge of private and dropping them(MS whitetails...)

Ron.C

WKR
"Just wondering opinions between a 7RM with 140 ttsx and a 6CM with 108 eldm?"

Normally I'd say whichever you shoot best and shoot heart lungs (I just hate ruining shoulder meat). But since your concern is keeping it from getting to the adjacent private property, I'd go with the bigger of the two, the 7mm 140 ttsx.

Regardless of shot placement, the bigger rifle should dump more energy into the elk and do more damage

I think the perfect situation is you get a quartering away shot and can put it through the lungs into the offside shoulder.

Regarding head shots, no better way to turn the switch off then to put a bullet in the brain. I won't be a hypocrite and say I have never taken one, but the margin for error is so small.

good luck

Last edited:

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Regarding head shots, no better way to turn the switch off then to put a bullet in the brain. But the margin for error is so small.
50 cal when you need a bigger margin for error.:D

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

I lied.

I could have but didn't. It's just my nature.

Are we really suggesting a bunch of pea shooters for a guy who said he wants an elk to drop in its tracks? You guys make me shake my head.

These days everyone wants to shoot the lightest thing they can. Why don’t you shoot the most deadly gun you can handle instead. Cut off the man bun, get rid of the electric vehicle and try thinking old-school for a change. Laugh at me now, but think of me when that elk is on the other side of the fence.

Agree, I don’t understand it, you want to drop
The elk so the idea is to shoot the smallest caliber legal so you can make rushed follow up shots if needed? Here take this tack hammer and go re roof this house, it won’t be as good and quick as a roofing hammer but you can swing it way more times with less effort. Clients ask me all the time my caliber selection for elk. Sure it comes down to things like what can you shoot accurately, what gun don’t you flinch with etc. I’m 5’10” 140 lbs and I’m shooting a 338 mag, why well it’s fun and I know I’m dumping good energy and bullets into an animal to make clean ethical kills, I have a little more margin for error on not so perfect shots if needed, I used to hunt with my 270 elk out to 350 yards and could out 3 shots in a 3” circle at that distance did it drop them? Rarely it took them a minute but they didn’t move just stood there dieing. 338 can do the same but I see a little more shock with hits. If I have to dump them where they stand otherwise I’m in trouble, I’d rather have a big gun to do it than a little gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Are we really suggesting a bunch of pea shooters for a guy who said he wants an elk to drop in its tracks? You guys make me shake my head..
A "pea shooter" yet folks are worried about meat loss.....quite the dichotomy....

The only thing that will guarantee an animal to "drop in its tracks" is a cns hit. No matter the bullet or cartridge.

waspocrew

WKR
338 is obviously not necessary for a cow. If really concerned about it running off to private, then high shoulder or base of neck to anchor it.

338 Win is a pretty versatile cartridge, and I agree the larger expanded frontal diameter is a noticeable difference in animal reaction at impact. IMO, yes it's a great choice for a cow. A lead cow will go 500 lbs, not small and the same material makes their flesh and bones as a bull that may weigh another 100-150 lbs. From what is reported here, folks are scared crapless by the smaller is better/all you need mantra to squeeze off a shot from anything larger than a 6mm. Yes, it recoils more but I can't ever recall feeling recoil in the field when I look back on the shot with any rifle from a 243 Win to a 270 Win to a 300 Win or the 35 Whelen/AI.

The 35 Whelen/AI gives even more frontal diameter (.75" expanded frontal diameter across the sharp petals which are like a boat prop making a cavity in the water, only spinning at 180,000 rpm) and similar ballistics to the 338 Win out to 350-400 yds when loaded with modern powders and a 200 TTSX at 2940 fps. Works great for cow elk, bull elk, mule deer and whitetails.

Last edited:

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
From what is reported here, folks are scared crapless by the smaller is better/all you need mantra to squeeze off a shot from anything larger than a 6mm. Yes, it recoils more but I can't ever recall feeling recoil in the field when I look back on the shot with any rifle
I grew up shooting slugs out of a a 12 ga double bbl ithaca starting at 12 years old. I doubt it weighs 6 pounds.
I shot a 7mm wby mag and 300 win mag until a couple years ago when I was introduced to the 223. I turn 69 in a week. I'm not at all afraid of recoil.

The proven fact is everyone shoots more accurately with a lower recoiling rifle,
not to mention practice more, ability to spot the shot and quick reacquisition of the target/animal for a quick follow up if necessary ( or wanted "just because")

I don't recall anyone saying they're scared of recoil.

I was using that term loosely, but I don't doubt there are folks that would be hesitant to shoot something based on what they've heard. No heartburn received or intended, just small calibers are highly promoted and I do think they compromise ability for different shot angles and thus shot opportunities regardless of bullet.

I practice with smaller cased/caliber rifles to keep myself into tune. Putting 10-15 rounds through my hunting rifle going into each season is minuscule and doesn't compromise with respect to shooting accurately in the field. I can count on three fingers in 30+ big game animals how many needed more than one shot. Those three needed a follow up because of a bullet not landing where I thought it would. That's called "my bad" (maybe the Leupold scope (lol intended))? I'd venture to guess there are plenty of small caliber shooters who have had similar needs for follow up shots shooting much more consistent glass than I... My experience includes hard quartering toward and away shots on elk (none of those were the ones needing a follow up).

With that, I can't verify/contribute to better shooting with smaller calibers in the field as my experience is not outside of what anyone shooting any caliber on a decent number of big game animals has experienced based on posts read throughout the forum.

OP
N

Northof51

FNG
I don’t consider the 7RM a hard recoiling rifle even with 160’s but I do know I practice more and more effectively having the 6. It wouldn’t really bother me to grab either, just interesting to hear experiences and opinions of placement with each