Shot placement with .223

Toomuchon

FNG
So I’m trying to optimise my hunting game, am an interested in specific shot placement that achieves the best results on game (fastest incapacitation). What do you guys with lots of data find is the best placement? Looking at you here @Formidilosus
Is there a favourite location to put the bullet into, or is it just anywhere the lungs. Anecdotally over here guys tend to like the high shoulder shot.
I’m now down to a .223 and 22 CM, not that I think that really makes a difference….

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
So I’m trying to optimise my hunting game, am an interested in specific shot placement that achieves the best results on game (fastest incapacitation). What do you guys with lots of data find is the best placement? Looking at you here @Formidilosus
Is there a favourite location to put the bullet into, or is it just anywhere the lungs. Anecdotally over here guys tend to like the high shoulder shot.
I’m now down to a .223 and 22 CM, not that I think that really makes a difference….

If you actually want the fastest incapacitation, then you must disrupt the CNS. So yes, the “high shoulder” shot will do it. When I want something to go no where after the shot, I put the bullet where the neck meets the body, slightly above center, or the forward portion of the chest. Both offer extremely high rates of instant drops, but due offer some room around the edges for slight misses/ which the high shoulder does not.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What does that shot do better or more consistently than a high shoulder @Formidilosus? Cool topic OP. I like the visuals and need to look at my shot placement more.

“High shoulder” often results in a bullet that goes over the spine. The animal is stunned, drops, but then gets up and runs off with a non fatal wound. The base of the neck/scapula shot that I showed gives some margin in all directions, but stops animals consistently.

atmat

WKR
Interesting. I’ve always been a boiler room guy and have had good results with, cup and core, monos, and bonded bullets when shooting behind the shoulder crease. I see where your shot placement will certainly anchor the animal if hit in the indicated red circles you’ve drawn. This is your point of aim every time? Quartering to and away?
I don’t think that’s his preferred shot except for when he needs an animal to stop immediately.

You’ll lose quite a bit of meat there compared to a boiler room shot — especially with heavily fragmenting bullets.

SDHNTR

WKR
Just shoot the animal where you are supposed to. Rarely in the field do you get an optimized situation where you can precisely place the bullet in a predetermined location. You’re overthinking this. Just focus on making a good shot and put it where it belongs.

“High shoulder” often results in a bullet that goes over the spine. The animal is stunned, drops, but then gets up and runs off with a non fatal wound. The base of the neck/scapula shot that I showed gives some margin in all directions, but stops animals consistently.
I had an extreme case of this happen 3 years ago. I hit a fallow doe at about 500m from memory with a 156gr Berger from a 6.5PRC. The animal dropped instantly. We had to navigate some terrain to approach the animal, so it was >15min until we walked up on it. As I approached it, it jumped to its feet and I could see a 2-3in exit wound high on the off side as it disappeared in the scrub. I searched the area where it dropped and found a 1in diameter shard of bone in a small pool of blood. They're tenacious creatures.