Different bullets for cow elk

Northof51

FNG
I know each bullet will work fine for elk but I’ve got a chance to hunt a fairly small chunk of land with private at 100 yards.
Just wondering opinions between a 7RM with 140 ttsx and a 6CM with 108 eldm?
I’ve only had deer and pronghorn with the 6cm and they were pretty quick kills but definitely not a tip over type deal. And also seen bulls travel with double lung from the ttsx

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
If you're worried about your elk getting onto private after you shoot, I'd use a bigger bullet/gun and shoot for the shoulder to put it down.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Match bullets in the ribs kill quickest and if you don’t hit muscle, they seem to hump up and don’t run. I have a sample size of only a handful of bulls and one cow. The cow I hit just stood there until she fell over. The bulls didn’t make it more than 20 yards.

And, if you get a quick second shot, the 6cm is easiest.

If you go for a shoulder shot, you can almost guarantee they run. It’s a natural reflex, like the bullet is a lion biting it.

wapitibob

WKR
Bang flop usually requires a cns disruption; high shoulder. I’ve shot multiple cow elk with 140/143 tsx and hammers from a 7 stw, and neither went far. A heavy for caliber Berger and high shoulder would be my choice.

This thread covers shot placement in relation to your inquiry. Id use either, whichever you are more likely to hit where you need to.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
Just shoot the shoulder and you should be good. Only bummer is you'll lose a little bit of meat.

Tmac

WKR
Last couple years, I’ve dropped elk immediately with a 130 TTSX and a high shoulder shot, near drop (went 10’) with a 175 partition that took out the plumbing on top of heart and lungs. My grands just drt’d two cows with a 77TMK and 140gr Trophy Tip, both turned the lungs into goo with no apparent heart damage. Ranges were 25 - 120 yards. My son made a classic lung shot on a cow at over 300 last year with a 140 Accubond, cow went 25 feet.

With your two choices, I'd use the 108TMK. At 100 yards it will really liquify the chest cavity and should be slightly more likely to drop the cow at the shot. The 140 TTSX out of a 7mm RM is going to be moving at 100 too and should result in a very quick kill. A high shoulder shot is not risk free, but highly effective as a cns hit when executed correctly. I’ve also had real good fast results with a shot about where the neck and chest meet, not quite 1/2 up the body. Then probably the best high percentage play is a fragmenting bullet in the heart/lungs, drops them fast, which takes us back to the 108TMK.

OP
N

Northof51

FNG
Thanks for the replies, the 223 shot placement thread was helpful. I’ll most likely take the 6 because it definitely messes stuff up inside . I’ll just be really picky on placement