Diet

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
When it comes to counting calories.... Calories are just that, calories.

You can eat two twinkies and have 600 calories
or you can eat a chicken breast salad and have 600 calories

Calories are calories. Yes you may obtain your calories in the twinkies from sugar and corn syrup, but they are still calories. Your body will still burn them. You may not feel as good, but in the end calories are calories.

Something I Like about a program or app for counting calories (I use myfitnesspal now, but have previously used others including one by livestrong.com) is that in addition to calories, the program keeps track of carb/fat/protein as well as vitamins and minerals and grams or sugar etc. so it becomes easier to see where your calories are coming from (I.e. if they are all coming from fat or sugar, which is something I try to avoid)...

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It all starts with calories as far as managing weight, but then the food choices need to be looked at if health is to be obtained (and if you are eating junk, it's hard to stay low on calories.).

ohhiitznik, you are right about the calories but the chicken salad is health promoting (low in sat fat, high in fiber, more filling).

As soon as I can break away from work here, we're going to get into the food choices.

For those of you that want to apply some of this, the version of the equation I used above can be personalized by this calculation to determine your daily calorie needs AT REST (which is what we always start with)

Men = 12 calories per pound of body weight per day; so just multimply your body weight by 12. EX: 190 pounds x 12 = 2280/day

Women = 11 calories per pound of body weight per day; so just multiply your body weight by 11. EX: 150 pounds x 11 = 1650/day

This will get you close enough to start. The only way to get it closer is to have your metabolism tested, which runs about $50 on a Metachek machine (If you're in SE Idaho, we have one here).

The number calculated is your resting metabolic rate (different than your Basal Metabolic Rate which is lower) and includes sedentary activites like driving, eating, sitting at desk, etc.

If you are very active, either in purposed exercise or job, like DEW is, then you ADD those calories to the calculated number. Then you have how many calories it takes to MAINTAIN your weight.

Once we have that number, we build in a 250 - 1000 calorie deficit (the range is because people are highly variable in what they can handle, some more, some less) and eat that much less. If you are not exercising already, then we add exercise calories in and count them as a deficit.

More later.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
great point Becca on the other nutrition components. It all starts with calories, but to acheive optimum health, we need good food choices that supply the right carbs, lean protien, fruits/vegetables, whole grains, and the healthy fats (there is such a thing) and the ever important Water. We'll get into that soon.

Last edited:
OP
D

DEW

Lil-Rokslider
ERobby Ive got on myfitnesspal.com and entered my info for yesterday, WOW quite eye opening. It will take a little time to get your info logged but I think after a bit it will only take a few minutes to enter your info. Was surfing around on the site and saw a Fitbit ultra tracker,are these things just a gimmick or are they a useful tool? Thanks for the help.. For eveyone following this thread myfitnesspal.com is free and if your serious about this topic I think its gonna help out alot and hopefully keep me motivated..

Last edited:

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
bnsafe asked a great question.

ohhiitznik answered it correctly....sorta.

Robby did mention this up earlier. 2400 calories of whatever. This is a GREAT start.

At this stage of the game if Dew just keeps the calories in line gains will be made. Starting to incoroprate the RIGHT foods especially at the right time will really start making the body swap! This is the part of training I LOVE. Anybody can hop in the gym....feeding the body the right fuel at the right time is body manipulation at its finest.

Becca Sparkpeople and Fitday.com are other choices for calorie counting.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Robby Ive got on myfitnesspal.com and entered my info for yesterday, WOW quite eye opening. It will take a little time to get your info logged but I think after a bit it will only take a few minutes to enter your info. Was surfing around on the site and saw a Fitbit ultra tracker,are these things just a gimmick or are they a useful tool? Thanks for the help.. For eveyone following this thread wyfitnesspal.com is free and if your serious about this topic I think its gonna help out alot and hopefully keep me motivated..

Robby, not trying to hijack your thread..just adding some tidbits here and there.

Dew check out Bodybugg by Apex Fitness. Great for giving you a close count on your calorie burn per day. I have a LOT of customers who are using them and they work great. Price has gotten very affordable also.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
No worries Les, thanks for the help -and the bodybuggs or gruves are a great way to count expended calories both metabolism and activity. Can't vouch for the Fitbit.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
DEW, OK, here we go on the healthy eating part. Keeping the calories in check is first and foremost (really watch the weekends- it gets harder for most then), but now I want to introduce five steps to eating better. I'll introduce one at a time, maybe everyfew days. Most research on human behavior says humans do best by setting up small goals they can achieve that build toward the ultimate goal (for you, weight loss of 20+ pounds, lower cholesterol), so DON'T overwhelm yourself with these steps. Take them one at a time and they are more likely to become habit. Congratulate yourself everytime one step becomes a habit. I think you'll find the steps to eating healthy are pretty simple, especially compared to the work of calorie tracking, but ultimately they support lower calorie eating so tracking gets more effective.

The information comes from the National Institutes of Health's (our tax dollars at work) landmark DASH (dietary alternatives to stop hypertension) study that showed diets high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and low in fat and meat could not only reduce blood pressure, but cancer, diabetes, and overweight.

Step One: Getting enough water.

Water is an essentail nutrient many people overlook. Proper water intake has been show to reduce heart disease, breast, colon, and bladder cancer, and is helpful in losing weight.

You need between 64 and 96 ounces per day of pure water AT REST. For every hour of light intensity exercise, you need an additional 16 ounces at your body weight of 200 pounds. So you are looking at likely over 100 ounces (a gallon is 128 ounces) of water per day with your job. More in warm weather. As long as you're not eating refined & processed foods, which lack water, about 20% of water needs are met by food intake, but shoot for the 100 ounces per day.

Some people try to meet water needs with juice, milk, pop, but all those have calories in them, so you can only have them occassionaly. Pure water is the best. It takes work and planning to drink that much water (I'm at 80 ounces so far today) and you will pee way more than you're used to. Urinating 3 times per day seems normal, but is not. You should urintate 2-3 times that much, so 6-9 times per day. You can tell when you are getting enough water if your urine is clear.

Try to have all your water in by 6 pm or you'll be cussing me all night. Start your day by drinking 16 ounces of water before coffee, breakfast, whatever.

Till next time!

Last edited:

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Water is an essentail nutrient many people overlook....You should urintate 2-3 times that much, so 6-9 times per day. You can tell when you are getting enough water if your urine is clear.

This whole thread is great info/encouragement, but the quote above made my day. I drink a lot of water (though prob still not quite enough?!) and take a lot of flak because it seems like I have to pee almost hourly. Especially on long rides by car/plane/snowmobile, or while backpacking a heavy load it seems like all I hear is "AGAIN?!? but you just went!" Feeling vindicated now, thanks Robby :)

Foldem

WKR
Robby, one question for you on the water intake. When I drink the amount of water you are mentioning I get cold and get headaches. Can you overdo it and lose your electrolytes?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Kevin, possibly, BUT, since most people we work with are overweight, they are overnourished so to speak and don't usually have problems with electrolytes. I see way too many overweight people kill themselves to burn 500 calories then drink 200+ of it back in Gatorade or Rokstars.

I find electrolytes are more important when working with lean athletes, but I'm not an expert in that area- Les, what's your take?

Also Kevin, try drinking your water warmer (not warm, but warmer). If you're drinking it while sedentary, you will get cold. I get cold at my desk drinking water if I'm there for a while, but it's better than the alternative: dehydration! and many people are dehydrated and don't know it.

Also, for the headaches, if it's not the cold water that is causing it, try drinking it slower. 100 ounces per day is only about 10 ounces per hour if you want to be done by about 5pm, so you're not peeing all night. Once you get used to the water, you will quickly realize when you are dehydrated. My 120 pound secretary drinks over 80 ounces per day just at work. She keeps a 3/4 gal jug at her desk at room temperature and doesn't have the cold problems. I just like my water cold (and my coffee hot for that matter).

OP
D

DEW

Lil-Rokslider
Robby I do a pretty good job on The H2O but I'll bump it to 100 oz. Awesome info thanks... I've been logging my eating for a few days and my # 's are way off from the charts, I'm staying below my calories is that all I should worry about for now?? Thanks DEW

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
DEW, when you say your #'s are way off the charts, what do you mean?

I'll be back at my desk tomorrow and hope to post on the next step: fruits & vegetables (PS, this stuff really is magic for health and weight loss).

OP
D

DEW

Lil-Rokslider
Ratio of carbs, fat and protien are out of wack compared to the chart. Sodium and sugar are high. I guess it's just gonna take some time to get this all figured out. Thanks Robby and Les.... DEW

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
DEW, don't worry about those ratios YET. These steps I'm giving you will get those ratios in line. That is what I mean about taking it one step at a time. Right now, calories are most important and getting that 100+ ounces of H20 daily.

Start a chart with your weight on the left, and dates across the bottom. Weigh in on Monday when you get up and Friday when you get up after you pee. Note the weights on the chart. Don't go by memory. Write the weight down.

At this stage of the game if Dew just keeps the calories in line gains will be made. Starting to incoroprate the RIGHT foods especially at the right time will really start making the body swap! This is the part of training I LOVE. Anybody can hop in the gym....feeding the body the right fuel at the right time is body manipulation at its finest.

Les, Can you expound on the right foods at the right times?

Thanks.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
DEW,
Ok next step:

Fruits & Vegetables (F&V)

Americans don't get enough, period. Nothing is lower in calories per unit of weight than vegetables with fruits a close second. If you've ever heard negative things about fruits & vegetables (high in pesticides, too much sugar, nutrient-depleted soil) forget them. Most of the myths are pushed by the supplement gurus trying to sell you supplements. The data on fruits and vegetables is phenomenal:
50% decrease in male prostate cancer
20-60% decrease in all cancers
43% decrease in macular degeneration (can't hunt without your eyes)
38% decrease in all-cause mortality
And they work magic for weight management if you replace processed carbs & fattening foods with fruits & vegetables.

Virtually everyone needs more F&V as consumption has dropped markedly in last 50 years with widely available processed foods. One study showed that men age 18-25 got zero servings of F&V if you didn't count french fries and ketchup!

A growing body of evidence is showing how good F&V are. You can't get from supplements what you can get from F&V primarily because the supplements don't contain the cell of the plant where many anti-oxidants and phytochemicals are found. Don't think your 1-a-day or your fortified protein shake can make up for a poor consumption of F&V- not a chance.

For your calorie level DEW (2400 per day) you need a minimum of 5 servings per day with 10 servings for optimum health.
I'll give you the official "serving" size then a quick-and-dirty serving size:

Official:
1 medium piece of fruit like and apple, peach, banana
1/2 cup of raw or canned fruit or veggies (canning concentrates the serving size so less is required), including berries (they pack down)
1 cup raw veggies
2 cups raw leafy greens
3/4 cup juice
1/2 cup beans (only need 1-2 servings per day.)
1/4 cup dried fruit (only need 1 serving per day as they are higher in calories)

Quick-and-dirty
1 serving = clenched fist without your thumb.

Shoot for minimum of 5 servings per day. If you are eating 3 times per day, that means every meal has to have at least one serving, plus each snack a serving.

F&V are NOT convenient unless you plan. You won't find many in the gas station or even your fridge unless you bring them home. Try to get a big variety of them to get the most benefit, not just potatoes, peas, and corn, (not a thing wrong with them, you just need more variety.)

I can hit 5 per day pretty easy (today I had a banana and pineapple with breakfast, apple snack, tomatoes in my whole grain pasta dish at lunch, so two servings with dinner and I'll have 5). 10 is harder, but can be done.

There is a range of nutrition depending on the preparation method with the least nutritious being canned (still a great choice compared to the other crap you could be eating) with fresh being the most nutritious. Frozen fruit and veggies can be great, too, if frozen while fresh (called flash freezing). No matter the method, they are good.

Keeping a big salad in the fridge can help get your intake up, as it's always ready. Measure your dressing and stay at recommended serving size on bottle or your calories will jump way up.

Some more ideas here:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/focus/nutrition/facts/oxidative_stress/fruitvegetables.htm

Along with your calorie tracking (calorie is king) now start tracking your F&V and make sure you are getting 5-10 servings per day, along with your 100 ounces of water.

Till next time!