FLAK

WKR
Just did a trip from Alabama to NM in my recently purchased
Ram 2500/6.7 L Cummins Turbo. All I know is that sucker will
do 80mph at around 1700 rpms all day long. Helluva Road Trip
Truck.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Just a thought here. I have two diesels right now. 2011 f-350 and 2017 f-350. The 2017 hauls the truck bed camper and the 2011 has become the hunting rig. I've begun considering switching to the new Ford Tremor truck with their new 7.3L gas engine in place of my 2011. It's designed from the outset for longevity and hauling loads while being a gas engine. I'm mainly curious about the fuel economy since my 2011 still does great on diesel. You might consider taking a look at that new engine from Ford, when considering your options.

338maker

WKR
I have A 2015 2500 crew cab dirty and I wouldn't own a gasser again! stupid good fuel economy even when pulling

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always reconfirm going with a gasser when it -20 deg and the diesels are gelled up sitting along the road.

A few years ago we were coming back from Montana and spent the night in Sheridan, WY. It was -21 that morning. I'll admit I was a little concerned with my old 7.3L, as I had never had it in those temps before. But it fired right up. It wasn't happy........but it started, it smoked, and then smoothed out and cleared up after about 10 minutes and we drove it back home to CO without any gelling issues.

I've only had one time where I had an issue with fuel gelling and that was when I had filled up with the last of the summer fuel (diesel #2), went on vacation out of state, came back home several weeks later and sub zero temps had set in. Anyway, went to start my truck and it wouldn't start. Thawed things out, added anti gel fuel additive, problem solved. We've had sub zero temps here the last week, and at work we have no way to plug in our vehicles, but even with the coldest temps (-29F), that we've had this year and truck parked for upwards of 13 hours without being plugged in, it still starts, albeit it doesn't like it very much.

Drove hd trucks all my life and love my diesels, but I got tired bouncing around in the prairie and bought a tundra, should have bought one years ago lol

Do not regret going from our duramax diesel to the 6.4 Dodge hemi 3/4 ton. Purchased our gasser brand new in 2017. We needed something bigger to tow a 27 foot travel trailer but had no plans on hauling big heavy loads like big LQ horse trailers and large heavy equipment that would of warranted keeping the diesel. Would make the same decision again in a heartbeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going through the debate right now. I had an 06 Duramax, was fantastic and sold it to my son. I replaced it with a 1/2 ton 6.2 gasser. It doesn't pull the camper as well as the diesel, but if I drive it right, it is fine. I tow about 5% of my miles with a camper.

Looking to get another truck this year. I would like a 3/4 diesel, but am leaning towards the new 1/2 ton GM diesel. Real world driving reports are 24-27 mpg hwy.
torque is the same as the 6.2 gasser, but a better curve at lower rpm.

My camper is 8K loaded. So that is my thoughts, still researching.

HntnFsh

FNG
Some of the tuners are coming out with EPA compliant tunes now. I think you will be seeing even more of hem as they learn to adjust.

dpat

FNG
missjordan,
What kind of mileage do you get with the 6.4 Hemi 3/4 ton around town, highway not pulling vs. pulling?

stevewes2004

Lil-Rokslider
That's a tough decision with the new emissions diesels. I run an all stock 04.5 5.9L Cummins.. It may not be the best in one single category, but on average its a better truck than most (gas or diesel) in power/mileage/reliability.

I'm diehard diesel but if I was shopping for a new truck I'd be on the fence only because of the emissions systems. If I was shopping for a used truck, I'd be shopping for an unmolested 03-07 5.9L Cummins all day long. Regardless of mileage.... they're hard to find though.

missjordan,
What kind of mileage do you get with the 6.4 Hemi 3/4 ton around town, highway not pulling vs. pulling?

In town mileage is like 10-12 mpg
Highway driving is like 12-15 mpg
Towing highway miles I’ve seen it low as 6 with strong headwinds and a heavy load for the truck while the average is 8-10mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Some of the tuners are coming out with EPA compliant tunes now. I think you will be seeing even more of hem as they learn to adjust.

Yeah but that doesn’t fix all the issues with the emissions equipment, 90% of warranty work on a diesel is the emissions components. While some deleted for power most did for reliability.

The stock factory programming for most diesels today is far more powerful then what the tuners were doing 8 years ago. Only reason for a tune today is reliability but that option is gone now.

I have been there done that. We used to have a 35 ft fifth wheel. I sold a 14 F-150 to buy a truck to pull the camper. I had a great opportunity, that I still kick myself for not buying and that was a 15 duramax high country for $45k. I thought I could pull the camper with a gasser so I bought a gmc 2500 gasser. That was a huge mistake. Yes it can handle the weight but it will cost you, big. I averaged between 1-7 mpg going 65. 65 was all I could go. The trailer fully loaded weighed 12k. I traded that camper for a 26 ft bumper pull you hauled that was around 7500k without any toys. With that camper pulling across the state of Wyoming into the mountains I averaged 5 mpg. Sold that camper and now pull a 12ft pop up with a 3/4 gas. I only get 7-8 mpg towing that to the mountains. I would never buy a gas truck again if I planned on towing anything bigger than a two place trailer or pop up camper. I am actually trying to trade my gasser to go to a half ton but that’s more family needs than anything.

Fullfan

WKR
Would not own a gasser. I have a 2017 Ram 3500 with the 6.7, wife has a 2016 Silverado HighCountry with the Dmax. I tow a 40' fifthwheel, wife tows a two horse slant, a 22' ski boat and a 22' landscape trailer. Nothing like having the TQ when you wanna tow. There is a big diff between wanting and needing...