Diesel truck regret?

danarnold

WKR
gas is for girls...BTW my wife drives a 16 ram ecodiesel, has 40K miles, life of the truck @22.5mpg mostly sees rural hilly area not much hwy
we tow with 05 3500 ram cummins thats a beast, heavy loads @ 11mpg running across I70, 75-80 mph .
still have a 99 cummins that I really dont need

tdhanses

WKR
I have been there done that. We used to have a 35 ft fifth wheel. I sold a 14 F-150 to buy a truck to pull the camper. I had a great opportunity, that I still kick myself for not buying and that was a 15 duramax high country for $45k. I thought I could pull the camper with a gasser so I bought a gmc 2500 gasser. That was a huge mistake. Yes it can handle the weight but it will cost you, big. I averaged between 1-7 mpg going 65. 65 was all I could go. The trailer fully loaded weighed 12k. I traded that camper for a 26 ft bumper pull you hauled that was around 7500k without any toys. With that camper pulling across the state of Wyoming into the mountains I averaged 5 mpg. Sold that camper and now pull a 12ft pop up with a 3/4 gas. I only get 7-8 mpg towing that to the mountains. I would never buy a gas truck again if I planned on towing anything bigger than a two place trailer or pop up camper. I am actually trying to trade my gasser to go to a half ton but that’s more family needs than anything.

Interesting my buddy with a 40ft 5th wheel and a 2012 Ram Cummins gets 5mpg towing it’s.

I have a 25ft bumper pull and get 8mpg towing it with my gas pickup, with the diesel I had previously I got 9mpg, not a huge diff towing. Now I will say I don’t tow in all Mountain’s but do tow in high winds a ton. Wind makes a huge diff in mpg. In the mountains I find one side is low and the other is great for mpg.

Fact, when towing a huge box that is a wind catcher no matter if diesel or gas you’ll get crappy mileage.

tdhanses

WKR
gas is for girls...BTW my wife drives a 16 ram ecodiesel, has 40K miles, life of the truck @22.5mpg mostly sees rural hilly area not much hwy
we tow with 05 3500 ram cummins thats a beast, heavy loads @ 11mpg running across I70, 75-80 mph .
still have a 99 cummins that I really dont need

Thanks, guess I’ll be a girl to not deal with diesel headaches. Enjoy the older quality diesel pickups and never sell them, wish I still had my 03 dodge Cummins.

danarnold

WKR
Thanks, guess I’ll be a girl to not deal with diesel headaches. Enjoy the older quality diesel pickups and never sell them, wish I still had my 03 dodge Cummins.

def wasnt a personal slam, hope you didnt take it that way... we havnt had issues with any of our diesels, I do my own maintenance on them, lotsa oil, air filters but no spark plugs
good luck

tdhanses

WKR
def wasnt a personal slam, hope you didnt take it that way... we havnt had issues with any of our diesels, I do my own maintenance on them, lotsa oil, air filters but no spark plugs
good luck

haha heck no, I was laughing. Yeah just wait till you get into emissions issues on that 16, lucky you haven’t had any with it.

danarnold

WKR
haha heck no, I was laughing. Yeah just wait till you get into emissions issues on that 16, lucky you haven’t had any with it.
looking at deleting it and put a good mpg tune on it in the near future.
we have a sprinter chassis Winnebago that gets about 16-17 running 65 with alum trailer loaded with 4wheeler freezer, water... hard to beat that

tdhanses

WKR
looking at deleting it and put a good mpg tune on it in the near future.
we have a sprinter chassis Winnebago that gets about 16-17 running 65 with alum trailer loaded with 4wheeler freezer, water... hard to beat that

You can’t unless you already bought the stuff. No tuner will delete any longer, EPA clamped down on them last Sep. Also no licensed mechanic will work on a deleted diesel any longer.

danarnold

WKR
You can’t unless you already bought the stuff. No tuner will delete any longer, EPA clamped down on them last Sep. Also no licensed mechanic will work on a deleted diesel any longer.

quote from elsewhere
"Green Diesel Engineering will have the first and only CARB certified 50 state legal tune soon,
I spoke to GDE last week.
They are having to summit to the EPA just like a manufacturer for approval of their tune.
Each submission cost $150k. He said they hope to be back in business soon if they don’t go bankrupt first. "

not a fact re: getting it worked on, I'd never use the dealer and in the midwest aftermarket diesel shops are everywhere

tdhanses

WKR
quote from elsewhere
"Green Diesel Engineering will have the first and only CARB certified 50 state legal tune soon,
I spoke to GDE last week.
They are having to summit to the EPA just like a manufacturer for approval of their tune.
Each submission cost $150k. He said they hope to be back in business soon if they don’t go bankrupt first. "

not a fact re: getting it worked on, I'd never use the dealer and in the midwest aftermarket diesel shops are everywhere

GDE never has done deletes, just modified emissions equipped tunes.

I believe PPEI already has EPA approved emissions tunes in place, but don’t confuse these tunes with “delete” of emissions equipment.

LRHunter

FNG
My 2018 Cummins Ram gets twice the mileage of my previous Chevy and Toyota gasser. At a 20% premium to regular gas the math makes no sense for me to go back to gas. Love my Diesel!

Ron
I think if you really crunch the numbers you can buy a lot of gas for the increased cost of the diesel option.
Also figure in your higher price oil changes and DEF. With that said I drive a diesel and love it but it isn't cheaper.

Extrapale

WKR
I have a 6.4 Power Wagon. My mileage is about the same as Miss Jordan. My last truck was an 04.5 Cummins with a manual. I miss the manual more than the diesel. All the torque was nice though.

I almost cleaned mine up to sell. I would buy a 06-07 Mega 5.9 with a manual. I actually saw one with only 65k on it a month ago.

The thing I miss the most is putting around in the desert all weekend on 1 tank of fuel. Also being able to control my speed on rough roads with the manual.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
I have a 6.4 Power Wagon. My mileage is about the same as Miss Jordan. My last truck was an 04.5 Cummins with a manual. I miss the manual more than the diesel. All the torque was nice though.

I almost cleaned mine up to sell. I would buy a 06-07 Mega 5.9 with a manual. I actually saw one with only 65k on it a month ago.

The thing I miss the most is putting around in the desert all weekend on 1 tank of fuel. Also being able to control my speed on rough roads with the manual.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

My brother has an 06 Mega that he maybe puts 100 miles a year on now that he has a company pickup. Think he has 170k miles on it. I should tell him i’ll buy it but think he has zero desire to sell. What’s crazy, he bought it with 33k miles for $26k in 2009, it’s still worth close to that.

hflier

WKR
I think if you really crunch the numbers you can buy a lot of gas for the increased cost of the diesel option.
Also figure in your higher price oil changes and DEF. With that said I drive a diesel and love it but it isn't cheaper.

Right on the Oil change, DEF is not too bad as I get like 2,500 miles at least on a fill up. My truck, I bought new for $42K, so that's in line with the Tundra I had.

Ron

I got burned on a 2010 F250 with the 6.4 powerstroke. Put 30k on it without issues then once it rolled 150k it started having all kinds of motor issues. Traded it in for a loss on a used Raptor and haven’t regretted it. If I still had to tow often I’d get another diesel though.

I got burned on a 2010 F250 with the 6.4 powerstroke. Put 30k on it without issues then once it rolled 150k it started having all kinds of motor issues. Traded it in for a loss on a used Raptor and haven’t regretted it. If I still had to tow often I’d get another diesel though.
I feel for you on that. Those 6.4s can be real bad when they have problems.

I’ve been out of the loop for a while now with diesels. After purchasing my first Cummins back in ‘03, I haven’t really paid much attention to anything else, but I thought that the biggest POS Power Stroke was the 6.0. Is the 6.4 an even bigger POS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
6.4’s are the reason I will never own another ford anything. I don’t care what they’ve fixed or how good anything is now. That 6.4 cost a lot of people a lot of money.

You can thank the EPA for the 6.0L and the 6.4L. They were both bandaids to meet emissions regulations.