Did anyone 'Corner Cross' this year while hunting?

Wapiti1

WKR
So is it actually illegal in Montana? I read it is a law there?

And if land isn't posted no hunting or trespassing, can you hunt it?
It is illegal in MT. And you must have permission to hunt private land in MT whether it is posted or not. This is stated in the hunting regulations.

That is what you get from a majority Republican state legislature made up of many wealthy landowners. Private land rights are paramount. Good for 2A and other conservative causes, BAD for anything public hunting related. If it doesn't end in some sort of revenue stream, they aren't going for it. Some have been trying to kill stream access for as long as I've been alive (45 years).

Jeremy

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
It is illegal in MT. And you must have permission to hunt private land in MT whether it is posted or not. This is stated in the hunting regulations.

That is what you get from a majority Republican state legislature made up of many wealthy landowners. Private land rights are paramount. Good for 2A and other conservative causes, BAD for anything public hunting related. If it doesn't end in some sort of revenue stream, they aren't going for it. Some have been trying to kill stream access for as long as I've been alive (45 years).

Jeremy
Thank you, that's what I've read also!

hobbes

WKR

Jeremy
Was it legal to do either under a Democrat controlled state?

Jeremy

I think you mean: “That is what you get from greedy politicians”

I’ve never seen any politician come out of office worse than they went in. This is the bipartisan agreement they all know and love.

As for us, I think it’s time we stop dividing ourselves right/left, red/blue, blah/blah and start paying attention to what is really going on. It’s as if we can’t even cross the corners in our mind to find the common ground we all stand on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR

Jeremy

The general public folks have not physically or emotionally or otherwise lost anything, they are just following whatever "dude" who "sold" them on the perception of a loss. So the general public feels sad that they don't have something that they never had nor did they ever have a chance to have. Nor do we have a right to trespass to obtain the forbidden fruit.

Gotta be the republicans - enemies of all things good! LOL! They freed the slaves and then started to target land rights.

Enjoy your milkshake.

2ski

WKR
Thank you, that's what I've read also!
It is illegal to trespass anywhere to hunt. Period end of story. Stream access says you can fish and recreate within the high water mark, end of story. No big game hunting.

I know what portion of the law you're mixing up that makes trespassing legal in MT under one specific circumstance, but it's still not legal then to hunt. It's 100% illegal to hunt without permission in all circumstances.

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
It is illegal to trespass anywhere to hunt. Period end of story. Stream access says you can fish and recreate within the high water mark, end of story. No big game hunting.

I know what portion of the law you're mixing up that makes trespassing legal in MT under one specific circumstance, but it's still not legal then to hunt. It's 100% illegal to hunt without permission in all circumstances.
Well in north Dakota it had to be posted or you could hunt it, so that's what I was wondering. I had read an article that said it was not citable if there are no postings. I'll try and find it.
I agree that private is private and if you don't have permission you shouldn't be on it, but just was wondering

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
The general public folks have not physically or emotionally or otherwise lost anything, they are just following whatever "dude" who "sold" them on the perception of a loss. So the general public feels sad that they don't have something that they never had nor did they ever have a chance to have. Nor do we have a right to trespass to obtain the forbidden fruit.

Gotta be the republicans - enemies of all things good! LOL! They freed the slaves and then started to target land rights.

Enjoy your milkshake.

Never had so cannot lose. Your interpretation is incorrect, but of course you just wanted to post about the relevant issue of slavery.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Trespass for activities other than hunting fall under a different set of laws. Hunting is specifically singled out as an activity requiring permission regardless of land posting.

Stream Access Law does NOT apply to hunting. Just fishing and hiking. See here: https://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/title_0230/chapter_0020/part_0030/section_0020/0230-0020-0030-0020.html

It doesn't get any clearer than this: https://fwp.mt.gov/hunt/access/faq

Or this, if you want to read the statute: https://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/title_0870/chapter_0060/part_0040/section_0150/0870-0060-0040-0150.html

Jeremy

Jeremy
Can you share the state statute that shows it’s illegal?

Trespass for activities other than hunting fall under a different set of laws. Hunting is specifically singled out as an activity requiring permission regardless of land posting.

Stream Access Law does NOT apply to hunting. Just fishing and hiking. See here: https://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/title_0230/chapter_0020/part_0030/section_0020/0230-0020-0030-0020.html

Or this, if you want to read the statute: https://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/title_0870/chapter_0060/part_0040/section_0150/0870-0060-0040-0150.html

Jeremy
Your bottom statute here seems to point to trespassing/taking game on private land being illegal. Nothing about corner crossing to get to public land.

Wapiti1

WKR
I think you mean: “That is what you get from greedy politicians”

I’ve never seen any politician come out of office worse than they went in. This is the bipartisan agreement they all know and love.

As for us, I think it’s time we stop dividing ourselves right/left, red/blue, blah/blah and start paying attention to what is really going on. It’s as if we can’t even cross the corners in our mind to find the common ground we all stand on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I disagree, Richaed Nixon, JFK and Bobby Kennedy didn't do so well. They did great for a while, then, well, not so good.

I don't disagree that no matter what greedy politicians are hosing us. And by us, I mean everyone. There is no free lunch in choosing politicians.

Jeremy
Can you share the state statute that shows it’s illegal?
See post 33 for trespass law. There is no specific statute with regard to corner crossing. It is "not recommended", and you will be at the mercy of that county attorney. It's a safe bet you'll be ticketed for trespass. There have been a few attempts to codify corner crossing, but none have made it through.

Jeremy

I disagree, Richaed Nixon, JFK and Bobby Kennedy didn't do so well. They did great for a while, then, well, not so good.

I don't disagree that no matter what greedy politicians are hosing us. And by us, I mean everyone. There is no free lunch in choosing politicians.

Jeremy

See post 33 for trespass law. There is no specific statute with regard to corner crossing. It is "not recommended", and you will be at the mercy of that county attorney. It's a safe bet you'll be ticketed for trespass. There have been a few attempts to codify corner crossing, but none have made it through.

Jeremy
So it’s not actually illegal by state law then. That’s what I was looking for. Thanks

Legend

WKR
The regulations state that it is specifically prohibited
This is not accurate. It is a grey area in MT and it is up to the county attorneys office if they would puruse the case. I have spoke to one county in particular and the County attorney said to have fun and be safe. I still have not corner crossed.

Legend

WKR

Jeremy
All true. But this does not speak to corner crossing. It is not illegal in MT. It is a grey area and is up to each County Attorney to decide.

Feel free to disagree. But the MCAs are what they are.