Diaphragm call instructional videos

I am wondering the same thing! I recently got a Phelps bugle tube. I have no clue which diaphragm call I should get... there are so many. Which ones would be the best for beginners?

I am wondering the same thing! I recently got a Phelps bugle tube. I have no clue which diaphragm call I should get... there are so many. Which ones would be the best for beginners?
Kind of did things backwards there lol. Most people get a reed and start with cow sounds, get the hang of the reed. Then move on to the tube. That's ok tho. Anything that has a soft latex... it will probably say on it- cow/calf or young bull sounds. if it doesn't say the latex type or sound capabilities then ask a worker for help finding those types. As I said, just get used to it in your mouth and practice making sounds. Use YouTube how too videos (there are tons!) and also find some video of REAL elk to listen to and attempt to mimic. Put it in your truck if your embarrassed around others and blow that thing at every stop sign and light. Practice the cow sounds whenever you can and never stop practicing lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Great advice about doing it while commuting. Didn’t think about that one.

Kind of did things backwards there lol. Most people get a reed and start with cow sounds, get the hang of the reed. Then move on to the tube. That's ok tho. Anything that has a soft latex... it will probably say on it- cow/calf or young bull sounds. if it doesn't say the latex type or sound capabilities then ask a worker for help finding those types. As I said, just get used to it in your mouth and practice making sounds. Use YouTube how too videos (there are tons!) and also find some video of REAL elk to listen to and attempt to mimic. Put it in your truck if your embarrassed around others and blow that thing at every stop sign and light. Practice the cow sounds whenever you can and never stop practicing lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hello all,

I am trying to learn how to call with a diaphragm call and a bugle tube. What vids/websites helped you all?

Thanks,

Joe

You’ll definitely want to check out the ElkNut mobile app as well. The ElkNut is active on this forum, and he’s one of the best there is at teaching folks to call and kill elk. On the app he teaches not just how to make the sounds, but what they mean to an elk, and when to use them. You can also record yourself calling and play it back and compare to real elk and the ElkNut. Been a game changer for me and a lot of other elk hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Phelps red or grey amps are the easiest to use out of the package. Those would be my recommendation. Once you get cow sounds down and maybe you’re looking for a stronger latex to really crank out a big bull elk bugle, then Phelps, Rocky Mountain, and Native by Carlton all have some pretty good options. But for cow sounds and just getting started, no body does it better than Phelps IMO.

I'll recommend ELK 101.

And remember not all reeds work for everyone. Some like a small framed reed and some may not.

If you know your preference that will help.

If not you may wish to try a couple different frame sizes and see what suits you.

I'll recommend ELK 101.

And remember not all reeds work for everyone. Some like a small framed reed and some may not.

If you know your preference that will help.

If not you may wish to try a couple different frame sizes and see what suits you.

I'd second that not all reeds work for everyone. It's important to get one that fits your mouth correctly and if it doesn't you have to see if you can cut it down to fit you better. If you aren't comfortable you are not going to want to have the reed in your mouth often

I just watched a BRO episode where Trevor teaches this. I liked it as he states he is a dentist (undeniably has the whitest teeth in elk calling) and covers mouth shape differences, proper placement, and the volume of air one should use. After that, download the elknut ap and have at it.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into the Elknut app and Elk 101. I’ve used turkey calls before so I am not a complete stranger to the diaphragm calls. Hopefully all it takes is lots of practice.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into the Elknut app and Elk 101. I’ve used turkey calls before so I am not a complete stranger to the diaphragm calls. Hopefully all it takes is lots of practice.

I’ve been working on my turkey calls lately and feel if you can run a turkey mouth reed you can run an elk mouth reed. Lots of overlap.

Hey guys, thank you for recommending the App.

Bowhunter619, please check out a Podcast that I did last week, it talks about your question about learning to use a Reed! It goes into a bit more about mouth reed use, I think you'll enjoy it sir! Listen to the entire episode, thanks!
p.s. it's Episode # 3.
https://gotgametech.com/podcast-appearances/

ElkNut/Paul

Thanks Paul. I will be listening to the podcast today.

Sounds good! If you have any questions after listening to it please feel free to ask! With persistent practice you'll do just fine especially being a caller of Turkeys with a reed already!

p.s. when choosing a reed keep it simple, there are 2 sized reeds on the market today, 1/2" & 5/8" -- Over 90% of hunters today use 1/2" reeds, these hunters have an average to narrow or smaller pallet. The less than 10% can use a 5/8" reed, that's those with larger pallets. The cool thing is that even guys with larger pallets they can still use 1/2" reeds effectively but guys with average to narrow pallets struggle terribly with a 5/8" reed size. My suggestion would be to start with a 1/2" reed, most of those recommended in this thread are 1/2" reeds. The size generally is not marked on packaging so feel free to ask about sizing here if unsure!

ElkNut/Paul

Back