Trimming diaphragm calls to fit

Bendejo

Lil-Rokslider
I started turkey hunting a few years ago, and will be Roosevelt elk hunting this year. I learned from others that trimming my diaphragm turkey call gets a better fit on the roof of my mouth. Is it common for folks to trim their elk diaphragm calls for that as well? I imagine it's pretty common,and has the same benefits, but never see it discussed or recommended here very much.

BobDog

FNG
I trim mine and it works well for me. Just be careful not to stretch/damage the latex. A sharp blade is key.

Jaquomo

WKR
Used to with some. Now I only use the Phelps Dragon Slayer for every elk sound (that I can't make with my voice) and it fits me perfectly. YMMV

Jethro

WKR
I don't know if its common, but I trim mine. I use a scissors. Little trim and the slightest arch bend helps me. I'm blessed with an odd shaped palate. I can still picture my retainer from when I was a kid. Looked more like a rectangle than a dome. I trim both Phelps and Rocky.

i trim both phelps and rocky due to odd shape palate, terrible gag factor if i dont. i havent found any disadvantage since doing it. i was able to call two bulls in to 25yrds during archery season last year, so i dont think the elk minded either.