Diaper bags

ofl0926

WKR
Hey what's up everyone. Well my first baby is due in a month. Super excited to be a dad to a little girl. Now I've been looking at diaper bags. My wife picked out something for herself and told me to get something I like. So I've been doing some research and found some that I like. Figure I can make my own diaper bag. Here are a few

5.11 Moab 10
Maxpedition jumbo versipack
Maxpedition Sitka

Everything I've read has had a different suggestions. This is my first child. Should I go with a small pack? Get something bigger? Any other bags you guys can recommend? Hopefully some of you dad's can help me out with this. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you are on the right track.

We used a number of different bags for my two boys. We are finally past diapers (4 months). My wife has a bag fetish, but never was completely satisfied with what she tried. I eventually repurposed an old Mountainsmith hip pack (Day). I put some shoulder straps on it and it worked perfect for me. A pull out type bag with 6 diapers and a pack of wipes, and some butt cream. Throw in a change of clothes, a couple of toys, a bottle (and snacks when they got a little older), and we were good to go. The tendency at the beginning is to have these giant bags with way to much stuff. Obviously if you are experiencing 4 blowouts a day then one wardrobe change won't be enough, but you will figure out very quickly what is important to have on you at all times. We also have a BOB stroller we call base camp that helps reduce the load on our shoulders when we are away from the home or vehicle for extended durations. Lastly I scavenged a clever little folding changing pad from one of the other to-big bags which fit nicely in the Mountainsmith.

I have been a stay-at-home dad for 8 years now. It has been the most amazing journey.
Congratulations and good luck to you and yours.

BH.

I repurposed some Patagonia computer bag my wife had laying around. Works well. A few diapers, wipes, sunscreen, butt cream, change of clothes or two ,. So other random stuff.

I personally would shy away from the big bags...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Damn man, this stupid thread has me tearing up. It's good times man, so good. It takes a real man to raise little girls brother. I could go on forever, but I'll let the newer dads take over. My girls are 7 and 12 now and buddy you are in for a ride. You'll be amazed how suddenly what used to matter, doesn't. I cut a backpack trip by a third, just cause I was missing my girls once. It'll happen.

As far as diaper bags and all, I'll just say eventually you'll have a wipes wrapped in a diaper in on back pocket and a bottle in the other. I called it "going commando".

And as far as pockets go, it's where you used to carry your money...

Best to you!

My brother-in-law used a small Filson duffle that he is going to give to his son when he gets a little older. I thought that was pretty cool and I might do the same when my first one comes along.

Congratulations! Its a ton of high grade fun. i.e. miserable at times, but you can always laugh about it later.

You are very smart. I used a very "fashionable" bag that my wife bought and it is always falling off my shoulder. Any of those bags would work great. I've got another kid on the way in about a month and I think I need a manly diaper bag now.

Dual diaper bags? Ok, what ever works for you.

It was no big deal packing our Donald duck plastic lined thing around, heck you have infants, folks get it. Kudos to you for doing the diaper thing. I remember the hesitation when changing my first couple....then I got to where it was no big deal. Seeing your baby smiling at you while you clean them up making them more comfortable was a powerful thing.

It made me realize that seeing folks changing diapers in my younger days and thinking, "I will NEVER do that" was just a silly thought.

Congratulations on your new family member and heres a tip; They imprint early....very early. My kids are voracious readers and excellent students as I read to them every day since they were born. My buddies kid is a psycho soccer player, getting a scholarship to a college back east- and he was kicking the ball to his on every day since that kid could walk. Just a couple examples....but you get the idea- grin...anyway, congrats DAD!

Yeah I am extremely excited to be a father. Everyone keeps telling me she is going to be Daddy's little girl. It gives me goosebumps hearing that. Hopefully she comes on time. I got a month with her and then I ship out overseas for six months. Won't be my first rodeo overseas. Last time was easy but I have a feeling this time it won't be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you said "diaper bags" all I could think of was those biodegradable ones that my wife got to put the used diapers in.

I still remember our first in the hospital and the nurse saying "Ok, dad.....come on over and change this diaper". And my reply "Ya, I don't think so. What the heck do you think we're paying you for?" Then what my wife remembers.......the first diaper I actually did change........and it being a dry run. Thumbs up.

But there was one good thing that came out of all that......baby wipes. The light bulb went on, and I've been using them for hunting trips now for almost 18 years. My oldest turns 18 in Feb.

Congrats first of all. The bag depends on your situation. For me it was easier to just carry my wife's bag. However...

What I did was add items to supplement my wife's diaper bag just in case. Add extra diapers/wipes/plastic bags/clothes in your vehicles and an extra diaper in the stroller. We've had the sticky tabs on the diapers fail, or sometimes you just forget to replace them in your main bag. Adding one of the "overnight"/12 hour diapers doesn't hurt either.

Also, keep at least one 2 gallon ziplock in all bags. This is for the clothes AFTER the blow out. You must contain the funk...

i have used a Maxpedition Jumbo Verispack for both my kids, it works perfect and i dont look like a tool carrying a diaper bag, I carry thing of wipes, 6 diapers, bottle, formula, change of cloths a nuk and some baby food/Snack as they get older. If your going somwhere longer than a few hours a back pack works better, but in the first few months we really only take smaller trips and gone away from home base for a few hours at a time.

Congrats on the baby their a blast.

I am on my second kid ( little girl ) and have found myself with one of those fold up mats that have pockets attached and it works great. We also have the BOB stroller as base camp and it's probably the best item we bought for our kids!! I remember carrying a big ass yoga bag for my son, it had everything under the sun in it you'll definitely figure it out by number two!

Small back pack for sure, best diaper bag I have is my alps day pack. Diapers are organized bottle wipes, cream, snacks, and extra clothes, everything has its own pocket.
Being hands free is the best

We just used a basic pink diaper bag thing. No need to get a fancy pack for a diaper bag in my opinion unless you got cash to burn.

We have always used just one bag... one kid, one bag. Bag stays with the kid. Can't see using two? Your life fills up with a thousand and one things to trip over and pick up off the floor anyway. To retain any small vestige of sanity, it helps it to keep the baby "stuff" avalanche to some kind of reasonable level IMO. A hopeless task, but at least worth trying. The "new parent" marketing machine is incredible, and all the grandparents, aunts, old friends etc fall for it every time.

I can say all that because I've been picking up baby toys and wiping butts for 7+ years now. Youngest just learned to walk and she's as cute as a kid can be. However, the day I change my last diaper will be a happy day indeed!

We have always used just one bag... one kid, one bag. Bag stays with the kid. Can't see using two? Your life fills up with a thousand and one things to trip over and pick up off the floor anyway. To retain any small vestige of sanity, it helps it to keep the baby "stuff" avalanche to some kind of reasonable level IMO. A hopeless task, but at least worth trying. The "new parent" marketing machine is incredible, and all the grandparents, aunts, old friends etc fall for it every time.

I can say all that because I've been picking up baby toys and wiping butts for 7+ years now. Youngest just learned to walk and she's as cute as a kid can be. However, the day I change my last diaper will be a happy day indeed!

yep. there's so much crap out there you absolutely do not need but it's almost marketed as if you're a negligent parent if you don't have these things. buy cheap diapers and high quality formula (if not breastfeeding). find a car seat that covers the widest range of sizes so you don't end up buying 3 different ones like we've done. we bought one of those fold up stroller systems that got used less than 5 times with both boys. my wife walked a lot with them so all we needed was a jogging stroller and one of those cheap little fold up umbrella strollers.

With our son I just used the bag my wife got.

I actually got a complement at church from an elderly lady on how nice it was to see a guy that was willing to do that for his wife, lol.

Congrats and enjoy the ride. My son is 4 now, and we still use the bag to carry stuff in.

I used the Maxpedition Gearslinger as my diaper bag. I think the Sitka is too big for what is needed. The gearslinger was the right size, easy to carry and didn't feel bulky. Enough room to carry a bottle and a backup as well as several diapers, a change of clothes, a small thing of wipes, snacks for older kids if needed, buttpaste, etc. Could usually go a couple days without having to restock other than formula.
Just my experience.

Congratulations and enjoy the times ahead.
Now from a guy with two sons in their 30's. My first thought was what I see here all the time ( buy once cry once) I say EMR II all the way. After all she did say get what you like

Back