Desperately need help (corn tortillas)

Swamp Fox

WKR
Update: i finally got off my a$$ and have been making my corn tortillas. Total game changer, my life is forever changed. After I started making my own tortillas, my boss took me into his office and said I was a valuable member of the team and he gave me a raise and a promotion. My wife and I have been getting along…famously. Other women have strangely started winking at me and striking up conversations in the jalapenos and poblanos aisle at the grocery store. And dudes started calling me “Sir” for some reason. I think its the tortillas.

If your hair had started growing back, too, you could have written the perfect reverse country-and-western song ...

--apologies to Steve Goodman and David Allan Coe-- 🙃

I have a major weakness for hand made corn tortillas and frequent a restaurant that makes some of the best I have ever tasted out here in SoCal. I love me some NM Huevos Rancheros but I have found that the little towns in NM have the best food and red sauce. I have made corn tortillas but Im not crazy about how they turn out, I cant get them thin enough or the right taste. I do make arepas sometimes with Colombian corn meal which I mix with cheese and they come out pretty good.

Its all in the Masa.. I also add some salt to mine.

This is my new favorite masa

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
King arthur flour is literally down the road from me, so this is what Ive been using as well, its what I can get locally. Its a white corn but seems good. Super easy to make.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Kinds of what? Masa or tortillas?
Personally I use amazon all the time when It makes sense for me, but I prefer to avoid it where I can find something locally. For food/groceries especially its just outside my normal “workflow” and it comes with the unknown of being much harder to get solid info on a particular item so it ends up being an inconvenience more often than not. also just not a company I choose to support if I have other good options.