Homemade Tortilla Recipe

if you want to try a home made tortilla recipe this is pretty good. You need a nice hot flat skillet. I use a 10” cast iron skillet. Heat to right about 400 degrees.
Ingredients :
2 1/2 cups unbleached general purpose flour ( no bleached flour)
1- tsp baking powder
1-teaspoon salt
1/4 cup-salted butter ( or 1/4 cup of lard, butter has much better flavor)
1 cup hot water

Mix dry ingredients well in a mixing bowl. I just barely melt the butter in microwave, 15-20sec and stir it up so it’s blended well.
Make a hole in the middle of the flour and slowly stir in the melted butter and the hot water. Mix together to make your dough. I start with a wooden spoon and then use my hands. You might need to add a bit more water or a bit more flour to get the dough where it picks up all the flour around the inside of the mixing bowl. You want the dough where it just barely does not stick to your hands. Sprinkle some flour on a mixing board or wax paper or on a clean counter too and then knead the dough about 10-12 minutes. Form it into a ball and set it in a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let is set 15-20 minutes. While it is setting you can heat your skillet and wash up. Add about 1/3 cup of flour to a small cereal or salad bowl. After setting for 15-20 min sprinkle a little flour on your counter and take the ball of dough and cut it in half. Gently roll the halves out and then cut each half into six equal parts (this makes right at a dozen tortillas). Roll the pieces into round balls and then form them into the shape of a hockey puck. Place these down on two or three damp paper towels and cover with a damp paper towel ( not a soaked wet towel, a damp towel) . Take out one of the hockey pucks of dough and place it in the cereal bowl with the 1/3 cup of flour and gently flip it getting a light coat of flour on both sides. Use your roller and sprinkle some flour on the roller and sprinkle a little flour on the counter and roll out the dough paper thin. Try to make it round as possible, I will flip it and do a 1/4 turn after each roll. Once it’s paper thin and about 7-8” drop it on the cast iron skillet. It is important to roll them out paper thin. Once in the skillet it should start to get some small air bubbles rise in the dough, usually takes 45 sec to a minute on the first side and then flip it over and the other side takes about 30-35 seconds. Sometimes you need to play with the heat just a little up or down. Pull it off and place it in towel or a bowl and cover it. I usually put it in a cup towel and fold over the tortilla. Go back and start over. I am usually rolling the next tortilla while one is cooking. What I don’t eat I throw in a gallon zip lock and pitch it in the refrigerator to warm up the next day. Little butter and cinnamon sugar on one pitched in the microwave for about 15 seconds is flat sinful! Enjoy, hope you like them.

Last edited: