Denver got hit with hail

Blandry

WKR
Does a metal roof hold up better to these storms?
they make a synthetic/rubber roof that can withstand over 2" For hail prone areas, composite roofing material is the best choice. Brava offers composite roofing with a Class 4 impact rating — the highest impact rating possible. A Class 4 impact rating ensures a roof will maintain its strength and integrity in the face of damaging weather events, like hail, and flying debris. It looks good too... 1717470620015.png

Ucsdryder

WKR
they make a synthetic/rubber roof that can withstand over 2" For hail prone areas, composite roofing material is the best choice. Brava offers composite roofing with a Class 4 impact rating — the highest impact rating possible. A Class 4 impact rating ensures a roof will maintain its strength and integrity in the face of damaging weather events, like hail, and flying debris. It looks good too... View attachment 720224
Neighbor has class 4 from 2018. He’s getting a new roof too.

Buddy of mine, he and his wife flew from Nashville to Denver for the weekend, I think to stay in Colorado Springs. Short version, they were on their connecting flight from the Denver airport, storm hit and 9 planes (he was on Southwest) were damaged from the hail. They sat for 3.5 hours, got off the plane, left their luggage, rented car then drove the rest of the way, as they were returning the rental at the airport, their plane landed, and they passed their luggage on the way out lol .....this was 4 hours later, so he could have sat at the airport for 7 hours or drove lol then on the return flight to Nashville, Southwest has a new policy if you miss your connecting flight, they cancel all other flights you have paid for. SO on his return, they had to book another flight to Phoenix, then to Nashville lol he said it was a bad storm. Sounded like hammers hitting the plane as they sat on the tarmac

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
Does a metal roof hold up better to these storms?
Stone coated steel is a good option as well. Looks like a tile roof but it is metal. The shingles are 18"x52" panels and when they get damaged can be replaced instead of a whole new roof.
but like what Blandry said their are other options out there. The problem is the other options cost roughly double or more then a typical asphalt roof. Class 4 asphalt is not the same as a Class 4 stone coated roof or even a Class 4 Brava system.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I paid extra to put on a class 4 asphalt roof in 2012. We've had several hail storms since then, generally at least 5 or 6 every year with at least nickel size hail. I'm guessing we've had at least one a year on average with golf ball hail. The roof still looks good after 12 years and all those storms, but it was baseball sized hail that caused us to get a new roof in 2012.

Blandry

WKR
I paid extra to put on a class 4 asphalt roof in 2012. We've had several hail storms since then, generally at least 5 or 6 every year with at least nickel size hail. I'm guessing we've had at least one a year on average with golf ball hail. The roof still looks good after 12 years and all those storms, but it was baseball sized hail that caused us to get a new roof in 2012.
My goodness, I had no idea this one was so bad. The largest hail report in Denver County measured 2.75 inches in Commerce City on Thursday. It's the largest hail report in the county since 1989, the FOX Forecast Center said. 1717538708017.png

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Everyone in that area should be getting their roof checked, that's some big hail.
Yep. When I was in high school (early 80's), we were out of town when a storm came through. We heard about it on the news but when we got home the corn fields looked fine, along with the trees and other plants so we figured it missed us. The next day my dad saw an adjuster on the roof of the house below us so climbed on up. There wasn't a ton of them, but at least a few dozen baseball sized holes in shingles. Complete replacement. My dad was cheap, and I was cheap labor. So I always did most of our roofing jobs while he pocketed the money.

My pop up trailer got another round of hail on the roof. Let’s just say it looks better when it’s up.