Defund the Police?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a gun in every interaction with a cop.
Tell me something I don't know.

Bottom line is I think there is a strong argument that the officers did what they were trained to do, someone pointed something "gun like" at them, they perceived it as a lethal threat, and responded with lethal force. If the defense attorney does his job, it will be hard for the jury to convict the officers, and based on what I saw in the video, they shouldn't be convicted. Had he simply ran away and not pointed the taser at the officers, that would be a different story. But turning around and pointing the taser (or anything, really) at the officers was a pretty stupid mistake that cost him his life.

DWhitt

Lil-Rokslider

Bottom line is I think there is a strong argument that the officers did what they were trained to do, someone pointed something "gun like" at them, they perceived it as a lethal threat, and responded with lethal force. If the defense attorney does his job, it will be hard for the jury to convict the officers, and based on what I saw in the video, they shouldn't be convicted. Had he simply ran away and not pointed the taser at the officers, that would be a different story. But turning around and pointing the taser (or anything, really) at the officers was a pretty stupid mistake that cost him his life.

I have a hard time believing that a judge would convict this officer after a person pointed a weapon at him running away or not. Lots of arm chair QB's on here. It pretty obvious that the mayor and those running ATL are in fear of mobs of thugs destroying the city. Its hard to believe that in a few short months from covid to this mess, up is down and down is up. Right is wrong and wrong is right.....

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
I have a hard time believing that a judge would convict this officer after a person pointed a weapon at him running away or not. Lots of arm chair QB's on here. It pretty obvious that the mayor and those running ATL are in fear of mobs of thugs destroying the city. Its hard to believe that in a few short months from covid to this mess, up is down and down is up. Right is wrong and wrong is right.....

I agree. If I stole a cops taser and pointed it at him I would expect to be shot.

OldGrayJB

WKR
I've never used a taser. Can they be discharged multiple times or was that taser useless after it was fired?

Also does the stun gun feature still work after the taser has been fired?

Okhotnik

WKR

The prosecutor charging the officer described a taser as a deadly weapon just last week. If someone ( a multi convicted violent felon on parole) points a deadly weapon, after assaulting and stealing the deadly weapon form a police officer, with intent to do harm, then the officer would be justified to use deadly force to stop the threat.

I've never used a taser. Can they be discharged multiple times or was that taser useless after it was fired?

It depends on the model. Our department uses both styles. I personally carry a Taser International X26p which has two cartridges, and after discharging the cartridge it needs to be dumped and replaced to be able to “air deploy” a second set of probes. There is a newer model, Taser 7 that has the ability to fire two sets of two probes (4 probes total) in succession without the need to reload.

And to answer your question, yes a taser still has the ability to “drive stun” after the cartridge has been deployed. It is designed this way in the even one of the probes does not connect or if the probe spread is not far enough or in the correct area of the body to initiate a full muscular lockup NMI (neuromuscular incapacitation).

RyanT26

WKR

I believe it depends on which model they were using. But the newer ones can be fired multiple times. It is also my understanding that even after the probes have been fired they can it can still be used like an old-school stunt gun to deliver a shock just by making contact

RickH

Lil-Rokslider
Just listened to Joe Rogan podcast with Jocko Willink. Jocko breaks this situation down better than anyone I've heard. Basically says that being a police officer is an extremely hard job and lack of training is a big reason. It's definitely worth listening to.

Poser

WKR
Just listened to Joe Rogan podcast with Jocko Willink. Jocko breaks this situation down better than anyone I've heard. Basically says that being a police officer is an extremely hard job and lack of training is a big reason. It's definitely worth listening to.

I listened to that, too, and he makes a very valid point about how little time police spend training when compared to military.

The prosecutor charging the officer described a taser as a deadly weapon just last week. If someone ( a multi convicted violent felon on parole) points a deadly weapon, after assaulting and stealing the deadly weapon form a police officer, with intent to do harm, then the officer would be justified to use deadly force to stop the threat.
Yea, I just heard someone read the GA statute and the ATF description of "firearm" and they both included tasers. So it's hard to argue the officer didn't have justification to shoot him. The "but he was running away and they shot him in the back" argument isn't enough. He just pointed something legally considered a "firearm" at the police, and they shot him. Take home here is don't point things at the police, especially if it's something that's considered a firearm, because you might get shot.

I listened to that, too, and he makes a very valid point about how little time police spend training when compared to military.
This is very true. Training in some dept's is still no more than a college semester and then only occasional refreshers each year. I was lucky that our training went more in-depth than what I see from most city police depts, but even then we could have used more ongoing training.

IMO this is an area that really needs to be reformed, along with the "us vs them" mindset that many trainers try to drill into officers (which I never completely agreed with). There needs to be a more stringent screening process and as a result, better pay too. All those things need to change.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
What do you all think of the age (usually 21) to become a PO? I feel like at 30 with some life experience I'd be a much more well-rounded PO than I would have when I was 21.

What do you all think of the age (usually 21) to become a PO? I feel like at 30 with some life experience I'd be a much more well-rounded PO than I would have when I was 21.
Totally depends on the individual. I know many 21 year olds that are better decision makers than some 30 year olds I know. LOL

Background screening and training combined with better pay will solve some of that problem.

NY16ga

FNG
Oh man, this thread. You conspiracy theory guys have really given me a good laugh, thank you.

@Newtosavage If you don't mind, I would appreciate it if you would tell your wife that I'd like to thank her for her service as an educator. I've worked in education, afterschool/youth programs, and community development for 20 years all around the country and can't think of a single instance of anyone thanking teachers, principals, social workers, afterschool educators, etc for their service in spite of the good they do and the sacrifices they make. Maybe something for everyone to think about. Oh, unless you're from Minneapolis, then you can leave out afterschool educators. Minneapolis doesn't provide any funding for afterschool programs. None. I guess they must have been prioritizing something else in their city budget.

Oh man, this thread. You conspiracy theory guys have really given me a good laugh, thank you.

@Newtosavage If you don't mind, I would appreciate it if you would tell your wife that I'd like to thank her for her service as an educator. I've worked in education, afterschool/youth programs, and community development for 20 years all around the country and can't think of a single instance of anyone thanking teachers, principals, social workers, afterschool educators, etc for their service in spite of the good they do and the sacrifices they make. Maybe something for everyone to think about. Oh, unless you're from Minneapolis, then you can leave out afterschool educators. Minneapolis doesn't provide any funding for afterschool programs. None. I guess they must have been prioritizing something else in their city budget.

I have no idea why we don't have a day to recognize public school teachers. Almost every one of us can point to a public school teacher or teachers that made a real difference in our lives at a very important time, only because they cared enough to. Not because they had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.