Define a ‘DIY’ Hunt

Must be pre 1519 Native American to be considered DIY. After 1519 the horse arrived in NA, so not DIY. If the medicine man helped you out, also not DIY. That’s essentially GoHunt. If you ate and smoked wild plants and saw a vision about where to hunt, also not DIY. That’s essentially listening to Rogan. I don’t make the rules.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you ask an Alaska State Trooper they'll say a DIY hunt is an unguided and not outfitted hunting pursuit. whether you drive a car or fly in a plane to get there is just transport to the starting point. What's the difference in discovering a location in a purchased book or online and then pursuing that option vs paying for professional advice (besides the investment amount)? Still have to trust the spot and do it yourself, even if "it" was dialed in for you.

Good question, great responses.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
In all seriousness, DIY to me means I went unguided. If I run into someone at a gas station or trailhead that wants to share some information, I wouldn’t completely dismiss it. I’m not someone that uses the acronym though to describe the way I hunt.

I think the acronym is stupid.

In regards to hunting, home remodeling, automotive work... Really just about anything vaguely common for people to do.

DIY an airplane and I'll be interested.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going with unless you have an outfitter, guide or other service doing more than taxing you where you want to go its DIY.

Okay, what about #publicland, if you got permission to walk through some private... Which is accessible to all but a long walk... Or your standing on private and you shoot something on public... Or... You're trespassing to get to the public but you still shoot something on public...

Swamp Fox

WKR
I guess if you created your own maps and stuff it would be *really* DIY.

Lewis and Clark was DIY.

We sometimes forget we stand on the shoulders of the Fudds who came before us ... LOL

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
I guess if you created your own maps and stuff it would be *really* DIY.

Lewis and Clark was DIY.

We sometimes forget we stand on the shoulders of the Fudds who came before us ... LOL
Yah need to reload too. Can’t have someone preparing your ammo for you.

8fsni1.jpg

Twice I’ve gone to Alaska moose hunting.
Brought all my own gear.
Hired a pilot to fly me into an area I drew.

Is that considered DIY?
Did the transporter pick where you got dropped off, or was that somewhere you figured out?

I know extremely little about hunting Alaska. From what I have read, getting the right transporter is pretty critical to a good moose hunt on the fly in trips. There is a 2-3 year wait list for many, and you are paying pretty serious $ to be dropped in an area where the transporters clients have had a good track record of success in a pretty small area right around where you get dropped (1-2 miles from drop off).

Once you’re there, it’s all on you. If what I described above is correct about how the fly in moose hunts work, having a good/great transporter is a pretty important part of having a successful trip.

1jeds

FNG
Twice I’ve gone to Alaska moose hunting.
Brought all my own gear.
Hired a pilot to fly me into an area I drew.

Is that considered DIY?

This is off-topic from the point of this thread, but did you happen to post about your prep/experience for your trips? This is something I'm planning to do for my 40th in a few years and would love to hear more. I can PM if that's easiest.