Define a ‘DIY’ Hunt

Rich M

WKR
Its a good question.

DIY is stepping out and getting things done without help or a hand holding buddy.

Do It Yourself

My thoughts are, if someone tells you where to go, it’s not DIY…because you haven’t done it by yourself, and typically the most difficult part is, figuring out where to go.

Is that from a kit?

Not knocking them. They're super cool!

It's awesome no matter what!
Yes I believe it was a kit. I think he bought it already assembled actually, but has since changed the engine twice, lengthened the fuselage, built new wings that are longer and wider, re-skinned and painted the whole plane including wings. New prop, little tundra tires, tail dragger wheel, struts and suspension. It's a avid MK5 originally I believe. He's done some amazing work on it!

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
Not to derail the thread but nothing is more satisfying than a diy hunt. Even if it's for a cow on public land, knowing you did the planning and work yourself is a great feeling.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
How does being on public land make it more diy than on private land? I’m trying to figure out the logic behind that thinking.
We're hunting public land real close to home for a few days, trying to figure it out on our own!

Are you guys serious?

I drove 33 hours FL to CO and spent a day getting to know the unit layout - decided to start hunting at a mesa where we had week old data on 2 bucks being in a specific area - public, no vehicles allowed. Buddies showed up and we set plan for morning - get there and in the pre dawn you see a vehicle driving guys up to the top, gun shots, people running, vehicle racing around, etc. Talk about a kick in the nuts.

After that it is all catch-up. Everywhere we went, there were people and or tire tracks.

I don't look down at private land hunters but - competing others - on public is tougher.

KurtR

WKR
Are you guys serious?

I drove 33 hours FL to CO and spent a day getting to know the unit layout - decided to start hunting at a mesa where we had week old data on 2 bucks being in a specific area - public, no vehicles allowed. Buddies showed up and we set plan for morning - get there and in the pre dawn you see a vehicle driving guys up to the top, gun shots, people running, vehicle racing around, etc. Talk about a kick in the nuts.

After that it is all catch-up. Everywhere we went, there were people and or tire tracks.

I don't look down at private land hunters but - competing others - on public is tougher.
This isnt is about whats tougher its about whats diy. Just because i put the work in build relationships with land owners doesnt make it any less diy than some one that randomly drives cross country on a hope a prayer they have land to them selves. Who gave you the week old data? Getting info from some one else is that really diy?

Rich M

WKR
Great answer.

Most folks dont have time to find and maintain relationships. I dont - work - wife - elderly parent. Got no friends who cant understand my lack of availibility most of the time.

A fellow was ML hunting and saw 2 bull elk and 2 muley bucks for a week of hunting. I told him what we saw and where too. Didnt matter much due to the other dudes driving up there. Hope & prayer for sure!

crich

WKR
You're right and I think it's funny.

My advice (for all, not pointed at you) is to do what you want as long as it's legal and stop worrying about what everyone else thinks.
I agree with you people should do what they want and not worry about other people validating their thoughts.

If that were the case then most of this entire forum wouldnt exist.

Is it really DIY if you accidentally read a rokslide post regarding the very mention of a DIY hunt? Thats the question.

Are you guys serious?

I was talking about public close to home...

I've also figured out private on my own.