Defiance price increase rumor?

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Heard a rumor about a big Defiance price increase soon. Any real news on this? Went to their website and it says “We are currently updating our website.” I guess inflation must’ve trickled down into their business too.

Sadler

WKR
I ordered my anti from defiance a couple years back and it was around $1000. Altus has the same one priced at 1,120 now, although it’s out of stock so maybe the ones coming in will be more expensive?

lacire

FNG
I ordered my anti from defiance a couple years back and it was around $1000. Altus has the same one priced at 1,120 now, although it’s out of stock so maybe the ones coming in will be more expensive?
The new website is up and running and the anti is now up to $1,645.00. I attached the link.

https://defiancemachine.com/actions/anti/

LRI_Chad

FNG
FWIW:

The Sig Kilo range finder hit the scene around eight years ago. I immediately began machining billet tripod adapters for them. Shortly after, Sig got a hold of me, and I've been making theirs ever since as well.

That job begins with a 12' long stick of 1.5x2 6061 rectangular bar. I paid $48/stick for it eight years ago. There have been increases over the years; if I remember correctly, it was around $64/stick in 2018/2019.

Then "Rona/Biden" hit. That same bar today runs me $191/stick.

I own a drag race car and decided to machine some heavier-duty axle stubs. (2k hp blower motor) I bought a 6" diameter x 4' long remnant log of M7. (which is (more or less) just ultra-chemically pure Chromoly) That cost me over $4,000.00.

Rising tides float all the boats.

It will be interesting to see the response to this by the other manufacturers out there. They can either try to see if they can capitalize on Defiance's increase in price by taking some of the business away, or increase the prices on their own products in response. I suspect the latter is more than likely true.

Let defiance fall on the sword, watch the wriggle and take all the attention, then raise prices yourself.

tdbaugha

FNG
Sad part is these mfg won’t lower their price in 6-18 months when commodity prices finally come back to earth. Lumber, copper, oil, structural steel, etc all coming down or already came down in the last quarter.

I have a new Defiance anTi LA w/MBF that I'll be posting for trade.

[Edit to nix post, not appropriate for topic. Only reason for trade is not suitable for blind mag box. Will add that I wish success to Defiance company/employees.]

Last edited:
Below is a post I'm putting on several forums to address (from the source) feedback on Defiance price changes. It is not a reply to a specific post in this thread.

For the record, the price increase was necessary to keep Defiance open. I won't go into the deep details but instead I'll offer that I've been in the firearms industry for 32 years. Prior to my role at McMillan and Defiance I was President and Owner of Berger and then President of Capstone when Berger was sold. I am intimately familiar with premium product pricing and the impact of price changes on the firearms market.

After leaving Berger/Capstone and taking a short semi-retirement, Kelly made me GM of McMillan. When McMillan was purchased, the company health situation was very different than Defiance. McMillan had its issues as all companies do but it was healthy enough that we had time to adjust slowly and deliberately.

This was not the case at Defiance. I can't predict the future in a multi-verse but in looking at the deal there were strong, real-world indicators that Defiance was heading rapidly to closure. Despite this poor condition, Bob Beck believed strongly in the brand and the people who make the products. It was based on this (almost exclusively) that he went forward with the deal despite all indicators clearly offering that keeping Defiance open would be risky to say the least.

The price increase and the speed at which it is being implemented are required in our efforts to keep Defiance open and get it back to stable health.

A couple things to keep in mind are that Bob has taken on a great risk to keep a company open that many others wouldn't touch. I am basically living in MT while my home and family (including a new granddaughter who is perfect) is in AZ. Bob and I have a combined experience in the firearms industry of over 50 years. On top of that we have a tremendous team at both McMillan and Defiance (all of which stayed after the sale except for those responsible for financials). If you think our collective group are not capable, considerate people with enough experience to know what this change means and would have done anything to avoid or minimize it, you are not letting our collective record speak for itself.

If you think that the price change and rapid implementation has anything to do with a money grab, you are simply wrong. Everyone who purchased a Defiance action, specifically the anTi, Outcast and Tenacity before the price increase can thank Defiance for the extra cash that was put into the box when your action shipped. You may not have seen it, but I assure you, Defiance gave it to you. The other actions were anemic enough that the situation was dire and urgent.

The price change, discount restructure and Bob's infusion of finance has now put Defiance on stable ground. From a financial health score point of view, Defiance is in better shape than it has been for a long time.

We are doing all we can to price all our products fairly. We've added an additional volume discount level for builders. We are close to announcing a new action that will be priced lower than the others but will have controls on options and volume requirements. We are working toward increasing output and expanding capacity. There are even going to be a few surprises in new action offerings and additional support for gun builders.

Having worked in the premium firearms market all my career I can assure everyone that "it costs too much" is and has always been the #1 complaint against premium products. I am a reasonable person who listens to customers and wants all our brands to be successful. Throughout my career I've priced our products as fairly as possible keeping this #1 complaint always in mind. This will continue to be the case into the future.

Regards,
Eric Stecker
COO Extreme Group

SDHNTR

WKR
Below is a post I'm putting on several forums to address (from the source) feedback on Defiance price changes. It is not a reply to a specific post in this thread.

For the record, the price increase was necessary to keep Defiance open. I won't go into the deep details but instead I'll offer that I've been in the firearms industry for 32 years. Prior to my role at McMillan and Defiance I was President and Owner of Berger and then President of Capstone when Berger was sold. I am intimately familiar with premium product pricing and the impact of price changes on the firearms market.

After leaving Berger/Capstone and taking a short semi-retirement, Kelly made me GM of McMillan. When McMillan was purchased, the company health situation was very different than Defiance. McMillan had its issues as all companies do but it was healthy enough that we had time to adjust slowly and deliberately.

This was not the case at Defiance. I can't predict the future in a multi-verse but in looking at the deal there were strong, real-world indicators that Defiance was heading rapidly to closure. Despite this poor condition, Bob Beck believed strongly in the brand and the people who make the products. It was based on this (almost exclusively) that he went forward with the deal despite all indicators clearly offering that keeping Defiance open would be risky to say the least.

The price increase and the speed at which it is being implemented are required in our efforts to keep Defiance open and get it back to stable health.

A couple things to keep in mind are that Bob has taken on a great risk to keep a company open that many others wouldn't touch. I am basically living in MT while my home and family (including a new granddaughter who is perfect) is in AZ. Bob and I have a combined experience in the firearms industry of over 50 years. On top of that we have a tremendous team at both McMillan and Defiance (all of which stayed after the sale except for those responsible for financials). If you think our collective group are not capable, considerate people with enough experience to know what this change means and would have done anything to avoid or minimize it, you are not letting our collective record speak for itself.

If you think that the price change and rapid implementation has anything to do with a money grab, you are simply wrong. Everyone who purchased a Defiance action, specifically the anTi, Outcast and Tenacity before the price increase can thank Defiance for the extra cash that was put into the box when your action shipped. You may not have seen it, but I assure you, Defiance gave it to you. The other actions were anemic enough that the situation was dire and urgent.

The price change, discount restructure and Bob's infusion of finance has now put Defiance on stable ground. From a financial health score point of view, Defiance is in better shape than it has been for a long time.

We are doing all we can to price all our products fairly. We've added an additional volume discount level for builders. We are close to announcing a new action that will be priced lower than the others but will have controls on options and volume requirements. We are working toward increasing output and expanding capacity. There are even going to be a few surprises in new action offerings and additional support for gun builders.

Having worked in the premium firearms market all my career I can assure everyone that "it costs too much" is and has always been the #1 complaint against premium products. I am a reasonable person who listens to customers and wants all our brands to be successful. Throughout my career I've priced our products as fairly as possible keeping this #1 complaint always in mind. This will continue to be the case into the future.

Regards,
Eric Stecker
COO Extreme Group
Price increases only work if people still buy the product.

Price increases only work if people still buy the product.
And companies with massive orders can close if the price of the product is less than the cost to produce it. Both are true. We had a choice, and it was a simple one under the circumstance even though it was a difficult choice.

SDHNTR

WKR
And companies with massive orders can close if the price of the product is less than the cost to produce it. Both are true. We had a choice, and it was a simple one under the circumstance even though it was a difficult choice.
I totally understand that. I run a business and am an ardent capitalist. I believe in profit too. The problem is, there are plenty of other options with equal quality that didn’t go up in price 60% overnight. The magnitude, speed and absolute dollar amount of this increase will only drive consumers to the competition. I’m sure you have considered that.

Pricing aside entirely, I am now a former Defiance (and McMillian) customer, if only because of the man now at the helm. I don’t like his style, nor his history. Hunting is something sacred to me. A spiritual experience to be cherished and respected, not utilized for self aggrandizement, and most certainly kept within the confines of the law! I’m sure you’re prepared for that sentiment too.

I totally understand that. I run a business and am an ardent capitalist. I believe in profit too. The problem is, there are plenty of other options with equal quality that didn’t go up in price 60% overnight. The magnitude, speed and absolute dollar amount of this increase will only drive consumers to the competition. I’m sure you have considered that.

Pricing aside entirely, I am now a former Defiance (and McMillian) customer, if only because of the man now at the helm. I don’t like his style, nor his history. Hunting is something sacred to me. A spiritual experience to be cherished and respected, not utilized for self aggrandizement, and most certainly kept within the confines of the law! I’m sure you’re prepared for that sentiment too.
As someone who runs a business, I'm sure you can read between the lines that the conditions we face/d did not develop overnight. There was a real race against closure which we could do nothing about until we owned the company. When we did, we were compelled to act fast, or else.

I know the story you refer to. Do you have all the details or just the headline? There is a big difference between unlawful and unethical actions and what actual happened.

I'll offer that because I know the truth and can respond with it quickly, doesn't mean that I've "prepared" for anything. I just share what I know.

Hunting is something sacred to me. A spiritual experience to be cherished and respected, not utilized for self aggrandizement
I understand and respect this statement. Are you sure that Bob does not feels as strongly about hunting? So much so that he decided to make it part of his life's work. Making a passion into a living is not a bad idea if you can do it. Not everyone can.