Deep fryer

KenLee

WKR
Crappie fillet and salmon are great cooked in my basket style air fryer. Haven't tried any other fish yet.
Like everything else, air fryers come in different styles and quality.
Deer loins and deer burger are better cooked in my flip top Ninja air fryer.

SloppyJ

WKR
I have one very similar to this. My other hobby is crappie fishing and I prefer to fry outside so the cleanup is easier and the house doesn't smell like a french fry. The only thing I would do is modify the regulator to take the timer off of it. Nothing worse than it snuffing your burner out.

For smaller batches I might throw some in a cast iron with one of those vented silicon fryer covers. I'm sorry but take it from a true Southerner, there's no comparison when it comes to an air fryer.

Reactions: ODB
I agree with others that for large batch fish, mushrooms, etc..., the old school propane burners are the best. I use a deep cast iron pan for all my frying and it does a great job helping manage the heat. I've found after frying thousands of fish filets that consistent heat is absolutely crucial for quality fish. Too cool and they're super greasy, too hot and they don't cook through. Get one of those protected thermometers with a clip on the back and keep it right around 350. This is true for home made mandolin french fries as well. 350 and don't take them out until they're good and brown. Dredge oil on newspaper or paper towels.

My personal favorite base for fish breading is corn meal. There are several varieties out there, and I ususally mix a cajun with original 1:1 for just the right amount of spice. Whisker Seeker Tackle has some great breading mixes that work just as good on chicken, pork, and panfish, as they do on catfish. Prep is simple- dredge meat in milk, shake in the breading, and fry.

I agree with others that for large batch fish, mushrooms, etc..., the old school propane burners are the best. I use a deep cast iron pan for all my frying and it does a great job helping manage the heat. I've found after frying thousands of fish filets that consistent heat is absolutely crucial for quality fish. Too cool and they're super greasy, too hot and they don't cook through. Get one of those protected thermometers with a clip on the back and keep it right around 350. This is true for home made mandolin french fries as well. 350 and don't take them out until they're good and brown. Dredge oil on newspaper or paper towels.

My personal favorite base for fish breading is corn meal. There are several varieties out there, and I ususally mix a cajun with original 1:1 for just the right amount of spice. Whisker Seeker Tackle has some great breading mixes that work just as good on chicken, pork, and panfish, as they do on catfish. Prep is simple- dredge meat in milk, shake in the breading, and fry.
Corn meal based fish dredge is the only way to go.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk

Corn meal based fish dredge is the only way to go.

Sent from my SM-S921U using Tapatalk
https://whiskerseeker.com/catfish-breading/

My late brother's best friend started Whisker Seeker out of his garage a little over 10 years ago. He sold the company to Pradco a couple years ago. Excellent fishing equipment and one-stop shop for all a guy's catfishing needs. I also write articles for the site.

I’m from GA and we fry every damn thing. I’m on my second one of these at my hunting cabin (4 gallon model). They’re expensive but you can use your cooking oil for months so the cost savings adds up over time. It’s basically a restaurant grade cooker. The heating element is above the base so as the excess flour/cornmeal, etc falls off it settles in the bottom “V” but doesn’t scorch. Scorched and burned grease is what leads to bad tasting fried food. I highly recommend this unit. You will impress the shit out of folks with this bad boy.

3forks

WKR
I’ll weigh in because my wife got me an Al Clad deep fryer for Christmas one year.

The Al Clad is a higher end product and I think they’re about $200 bucks.

Save your money and don’t buy either an air fryer, an expensive deep fryer, or a fryer at all…

My advice would be to go out to eat when you want something fried, because air fryers don’t compare to deep fryers, and deep fryers are messy and will make your house smell.

If you absolutely think you can’t live without a deep fryer, buy one for a close friend or family member that will have you over when they cook with it.

Reactions: ODB

Stalker69

WKR
It’s like a deep frier except your arteries don’t clog and you don’t die early!
Ah, not really. Some things ( alot of things) just taste wayyyyy better deep fried. Just a couple, chili rellenos, wings and fries, fish. And yes I have had them all and many other things cooked in an air fryer by many who claim they are as good or better, it ain't even close. I do have and use an air fryer, but it's not a replacement for a deep fryer. Just like a toaster ain't a replacement for an air fryer. They all serve a bit differant service.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Ah, not really. Some things ( alot of things) just taste wayyyyy better deep fried. Just a couple, chili rellenos, wigs and fries, fish. And yes I have had them all and many other things cooked in an air fryer by many who claim they are as good or better, it ain't even close. I do have and use an air fryer, but it's not a replacement for a deep fryer.
Not even going to try and disagree. It’s hard to beat the flavor of anything deep fried. Trade offs.

Im no help with suggestions on a unit to get, but you can fry things in avocado oil to be a bit healthier than using canola lol

CorbLand

WKR
Ah, not really. Some things ( alot of things) just taste wayyyyy better deep fried. Just a couple, chili rellenos, wings and fries, fish. And yes I have had them all and many other things cooked in an air fryer by many who claim they are as good or better, it ain't even close. I do have and use an air fryer, but it's not a replacement for a deep fryer. Just like a toaster ain't a replacement for an air fryer. They all serve a bit differant service.
Anyone that says air fryers work as good as deep frying is off their rocker.

My family has a history of bad hearts so I rarely eat deep fried anything and use an air fryer to make fries and such. I can make them pretty good but they aren’t as good as deep fried. It’s not even in the same book.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Cajun Fryer for feeding more than 4 people. Fry Daddy for just a couple folks. I use the air fryer for a few things, but fish isn't one of them. Maybe I did it wrong, but it was terrible.