Decision is IN!! Shoulder Mount or Euro Mount?

Euro or Shoulder mount?

• Euro

Votes: 94 51.6%
  • Shoulder mount

Votes: 88 48.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hobbes

WKR
With a big stocky looking head/neck like that? Shoulder Mount!

EDIT: And be sure to give the Taxi pics of the animal from several angles, so he gets it right in terms of which plastic form to order. Which size-range he'll need.
Just an FYI. Photos shouldn't have anything to do with the size of form ordered. It should be a result of measurements taken directly off the buck's neck once it's caped.

A taxidermist may possibly order slightly smaller to make the sewing job easier. I never did that when I had a shop but I wouldn't order bigger either. It wasn't uncommon to hear, "Can you make him look bigger?" I could expect that in 6 months those folks would often recall their buck being bigger than what he was.

I will add, that I never used photos to size, but several photos never hurt the taxidermy process, especially if there was something odd about the neck's swell or really pronounced roman nose. Different manufacturers produce different proportioned forms so it may help in choosing who's form to purchase.

Last edited:

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
If she is a clean freak, euros are cleaner and there is nothing for the bugs to eat in the future. Pretty buck.

MTWop

Lil-Rokslider
Beautiful buck. I typically prefer euros and have never shoulder mounted anything. I have a mule deer in the 170s and a 350 class bull elk. You mentioned that it took a lot of preference points and the memory of taking it with her dad tips me in the shoulder mount category. Her time to hunt with you will only decrease as work and family obligations increase. None of my three daughters are old enough to hunt yet, but I would definitely mount that buck if I found myself in the same situation in the future. What a great memory. Congrats and job well done dad!

Ucsdryder

WKR
@cnelk , do a side by side with mine. It’s over there too. Send me a pic!

I originally voted euro but since you’re paying I’m not sure. If she has the “perfect spot” in her house I’d be more open to a shoulder. So my answer is…undecided! Lol

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I texted with my daughter today and she has made her decision!

And the verdict is.....

EURO!

So, if anyone is interested in a big Mule Deer cape, send me a PM

I will also list it in the Classifieds in the near future

Thanks for playing along

KurtR

WKR
Shoulder mount. I have a stack of euros that hang on the wall in the garage but enjoy looking at the two I have on wall daily.

elkguide

WKR
I've hunted and guided for many years. Never mounted anything even though some of them were very nice specimens of the species as I thought that I was satisfied with the euros and photos. A couple of years ago I went to New Zealand on a once in a lifetime dream hunt and shot a sweet Red Deer. I paid way too much to have it shipped back here to the states and then to have it turned into a pedestal mount. That fall I shot a 400+ pound black bear that was 78" from nose to tail and had an absolutely perfect winter hide. I also had that turned into a full body mount. Both are like a piece of furniture and take up a lot of room BUT every time that I walk into the room or walk past either of them, I can't help but smile.

I'm glad that I didn't mount a bunch of the animals that I have taken but those 2 were special and since we have the room, I don't regret that I had them mounted and have already gotten more pleasure and fond memories from both of them than I could have ever imagined.

Shoulder!! I still look at my shoulder mount from the first nice deer I killed almost 20 years ago and play the hunt over in my head. Euro doesn't have the same effect in my opinion for the remembrance. Nice buck!

wytx

WKR
With a euro she can pick it up and handle the skull and relive the memories.
Good choice.
Congrats to her !!!!