Decision is IN!! Shoulder Mount or Euro Mount?

Euro or Shoulder mount?

• Euro

Votes: 94 51.6%
  • Shoulder mount

Votes: 88 48.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cubby

WKR
Shoulder mount just because it's getting harder and harder to find nice mature bucks and I feel it will only get worse in the future.

JasonWi

WKR
That's a fantastic buck and if she has the room and the budget for it I would shoulder mount.

But he would also make a tremendous euro and put a nice 10x12 Canvas print below the skull and that would look beautiful as well.

I've pretty much gone to all euros the past few years and my wife prefers them as well. Loves how clean and simple they look

Hunt the Top

Lil-Rokslider
Very tough decision. In all honesty I would strongly consider getting a replica made for a shoulder mount and keep the original as a euro so you can take it off the wall and hold it in your hands. Replicas aren't cheap but considering how special of a buck and situation this is, that is what I would personally do. That way you can admire the cape and how the buck looked in the field on the wall, and at the same time admire the euro'd rack in your hands. Best of luck with your decision!

WCB

WKR
What do you want? Once she leaves the house it's more than likely to stay with you. Slightly better odds she'll take it if it's Euro'd, but slim either way.
Why would you say that? Why wouldn't she take her deer head or skull?

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Why would you say that? Why wouldn't she take her deer head or skull?
I was imaging a kid moving out either to school or into their first apartment, with many itinerant moves to follow, and a shoulder mount is a lot to move around. When I left home I could fit everything I owned into a car for years.

Didn't mean to stir the pot or take anything away from OP and his daughter's accomplishment and memories, and don't want to threadjack OP any more. Happy to take abuse in the PMs.

I am cheap so started doing my own Euros. However, cost is only one factor. I like the fact that I can make it myself, in addition to taking out down so my friends and kids can hold and admire the rack up close. In my opinion they look pretty cool too!

I vote Euro because it is pretty heavy but narrow. The full head and ears will make it look smaller than a Euro, and not show the mass as well. And, if I know anything about you CNelk, you'll have her on a bigger one next year.

Seeknelk

WKR
I much prefer the look of simple American skull mounts to shoulder mounts. But what does she prefer, AMERICAN skull mount or shoulder, pedestal? I'd do what she wanted more, and I'd also be sure to mention what a pain a full mount is to move around the country with, maintenance, etc.

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
Euro's with a skull hooker look really good and take up a lot less space on the wall.

I love a shoulder mount to though. For me I get shoulder mounts when I want to see it and remind me of the great memories

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats to your daughter, beautiful buck. My vote is euro, but that is just my preference.

TheGDog

WKR
Naw man.. you gotta do a shoulder mount on this guy! He looks like a damn line-backer. Especially with how dark and wide that coloration strip is down his neck and shoulders. And while not the widest rack, they're pretty thick all the way up! And looks nicely symmetrical too.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Well, after a couple of days of polling, the WKRs are still neck and neck.

Thanks for all the replies - when I get the euro back, Ill post up a few more pics of the rack

prm

WKR
I say euro, but whichever way you go include some additional elements such as stone, or a log, a little snow, and certainly some sage on this case. The brass from shot? Elements of the story. Then, and perhaps most importantly, three or four nicely framed pictures to hang around it. Have the pic of the two of you a little bigger. The picture of the two of you will ultimately be more important than the mount.

Really comes down to whether she wants a full mount in the house.

edit: found this pic on a quick google search. Change aspen to sage, perhaps add a little snow, choose wall mount vs. table, etc. Just an idea.

Attachments

• 4BDA8F91-4245-4E60-8291-178AB34E3BBC.jpeg
    4BDA8F91-4245-4E60-8291-178AB34E3BBC.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

WKR
Son shot a really nice antelope when he was young. We did a euro. Later he wanted it mounted so shot another buck and used that cape. Euro allows way more flexibility. Once its shoulder mounted, sort of stuck with it.