Decent reasoable priced Broadhead Target?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Looking for a Broadhead Target to get tuned in for Elk hunting. What does everyone shoot at and what do you recommend. I am wanting to keep it under 100$.

Thanks in advance.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Doing some research and from what Im reading the Rhinehart 18 - 1 is one of the best out there. Anyone have this Broadhead Target?

I almost bought a rhinehart.

Luckily, two buddies that have em steered me clear. They both hate theirs. Hard to pull arrows and apparently leaves a horrendous residue on the shaft that takes a lot of ajax and elbow grease to get off.

As much as I hate to buy into the "koolaid" companies that pay lots of "celebrity hunters" to plug their product, it IS tough to beat the block target.

I almost bought a rhinehart.

Luckily, two buddies that have em steered me clear. They both hate theirs. Hard to pull arrows and apparently leaves a horrendous residue on the shaft that takes a lot of ajax and elbow grease to get off.

As much as I hate to buy into the "koolaid" companies that pay lots of "celebrity hunters" to plug their product, it IS tough to beat the block target.

Field points are a bitch to pull!!! Broadheads come right out. I do not get the residue problem. sometimes I get green paint on the shafts.

OR Archer

WKR
I've shot a lot of Rineharts and never had any issues with residue on my arrows. Field tips can be difficult to pull at first but gets easier as the target softens up a bit. Definitely the longest lasting broadhead target I have ever used. Layered foam targets just don't compare for longevity.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Slim I thought the same thing. But this teaches you to aim small miss small as Mel Gibson said to his Kids in what movie??? =-)

Ruined a Block in one week shooting broadheads. Rinehart is still going after one year, though its getting shredded. No residue. Guess I should've kept my receipt.

AGPank

WKR
I have an 18-1. It lasted me about 3 seasons of sighting broadheads. It's about ready for the trash this year. I bought a rhinehart block over the winter but haven't shot it enough to report on life or performance.

I agree that a larger 18-1 would be tough to beat. I haven't had the problems pulling arrows or with residue.

jmez

WKR
18-1, mine is on year number 4 and still not a pass through, getting close though. Will need to replace it next year. No residue and arrows come out easy. I shoot FMJ though so mine pull easy from any target.

I only shoot broadheads at mine and I shoot them everyday so it has taken a ton of abuse. For those that would like it to be bigger, why? it is about the size of the vital area on an elk. It will tell you your effective distance in a hurry. Far better for your shooting than a 4x4 bag target that you know you won't miss.

HockeyDad

Lil-Rokslider
SHTF - I have blown through 2 blocks in 2 years. finally decided if broadhead targets are going to be disposable, I need to pay a disposable price. $30 for this huge block of styrofoam. 22" X 22" X 25" should last as long as the blocks.

With the size, you can stagger your dots and you have 6 sides to shoot at - Plus it gives you a lot of target face to work with broadhead tuning at longer distances. Arrows are easy to pull out (I can pull out broadheads with 2 fingers and a thumb!), and there is no residue to worry about.

you can pick these up at No-Limits Archery for $30. A little awkward to carry, but worth it.

Here is a picture from this weekend after BH tuning at 50 yards. Was nice to have 22" of target face to work with while moving the rest and sights. Makes for a lot more comfortable/relaxed shooting. The 18-1 isnt bad ONCE YOUR ARE TUNED, but getting there is a pain at longer distances with the 18-1

View attachment 9252

I will attempt to resuscitate this thread as I know many us are shooting broadheads this time of year. Many above have endorsed the 18-1. I have one that has served me OK. I am looking for a better target.
Keep in my this has been my only BH target so far but my main complaints are:
1) Stability. Arrow impacts will move this target, making it difficult to asses your groups.
2) Messy. There are chunks of foam strewn all over my yard. As the target gets cut up from the BHs, it will shed chunks of foam. (perhaps all BH targets get this way??)
3) Aim points. I agree with above, aim small and miss small. But to take it one step further, I ended up modifying my target by gluing small orange rifle target dots to the face so that I could indeed see well enough at 50 & 60 yards to aim small.
4) Not cheap

Having said that, what is out there that is better??

Another fan of the 18-1.

Going on my third year with the current one. This will be it's last year though as I don't see it surviving this season as I'm now working on the small edge/corner sections.

I have only ever used it with broadheads so I can't comment on the field tips sticking. Never been an issue with broadheads though.

littlebuf

Banned
I've had a new Block black for about two months and it's already about shot out. I put a lot of arrows on it but still pretty shitty, the 18-1 is good but it's small, won't be shooting much past 60 with that one