Deafness and Hunting?

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got tinnitus in both ears but it’s worse in my right (wish I had Peltors on my first deployment) and partial loss in the same. My left is ok, other than the tinnitus. I wear over-ear muffs while on the range (Peltor ComTac 5) and I’ll double up when shooting some of the big stuff (shoulder launched munitions, etc). When I hunt I don’t wear anything other than plugs I keep in my pocket. I’m doing ok but I’m sure by the time I retire from the service I’ll have near total loss in my right ear and my left will be partial. Being danger close to large munitions is no joke and rocks your ears and head pretty good. Some noise cancelling plugs or muffs would help with shooting and amplify ambient noise below a certain decibel (not sure what the threshold is). They may help but they get uncomfortable after wearing for a while.

My wife thinks it’s selective.

wyosteve

WKR
I've tried numerous types. In ear that amplify and then cut out loud sounds. Muffs that amplify and then cut out. Regular plugs and regular muffs. I think you're going to have to try different ones an see what you prefer. Personally the electronic muffs have worked the best for me, but they're not a lot of fun if you're hiking/sweating.

OP
U

Unckebob

WKR
Sounds like a great reason to get a suppressor.

I have a Nomad in the safe and a lighter Harvester EVO stuck in ATF jail.

All the rifles I hunt with are already threaded except my new 280 AI build. (I ordered the barrel before I found out). It is going to the gunsmith to be cut & threaded before I take it in the field.

Yarak

WKR
I tried several devices over the years and found they all amplified my hearing but I couldnt tell what direction noise was coming from
The wind and running water were other aggravations I dealt with when using them
I finally went to an audiologist and got tested and fitted with correct hearing aids
The ones I have will cancel out loud noise and are completely programmable for any venue

CorbLand

WKR
I am not deaf. I can hear that constant ringing in my ears just fine.

Too many years in duck blinds and working around equipment/small engines and being too cool for ear plugs. I will pay for it as I get older.

Elk97

WKR
If you think you have hearing loss, you do. Go to Costco and get tested (free). Costco offers hearing aids from the major brands at half the price. Generally, you get what you pay for but I haven't found that to be true with hearing aids. For protection good plugs (NRR 30+) and quality muffs. While hunting (rifle) carry either plugs or light muffs and put them on when shooting, haven't figured out a good solution for bird hunting.. I've had to use hearing aids for over 20 years and now have one cochlear implant. Lots of heavy equipment, chain saws, shooting, etc
edit: I've gone almost exclusively to archery

Last edited:
Long story short, I recently learned that I recently had lost most of my hearing in my right ear. (Not caused by loud noises) I am getting fitted for a hearing aid this week.

Prior to this discovery, I always doubled up at the range (in ear + muffs) at the range. I used foamies while hunting.

Surely, there are other members on this board with profound hearing loss. What do you do while hunting?
- I am not taking my ridiculously expensive (not covered by insurance) hearing aids into the great outdoors. I might have to sell a kidney if I lose the one I am getting.

But, I don't want to walk around in the woods with 'too much' hearing protection to allow me to hear what is going on around me (my left ear is good).

Suggestions?
My brother in law is completely deaf but he was born with it. We hunted together and honestly hand signals and sign language are very helpful in the woods. He doesn't wear ear pro even though I try to convince him to and honestly I don't know why I do. He's got a steady hand and doesn't flinch even though the vibration has to be intense if that's the only sensation you have to go on when shooting. I'd say in order to help you pay attention to your vision and sense of feel to overcome your handicap. My guess is you will need to learn to position yourself to utilize your left ear. Probably going to have to turn it towards your perceived sound instead of facing it.

Bluefish

WKR
I'm right handed and have more of an issue with my left ear.
Quite common for shooters. Its Because the head shields the right ear while shooting. Left ear gets full blast, right gets less. Also called farmers ear as they tend to turn to the right while driving a tractor. The left ear gets full blast of the exhaust and right get shielded by the head.

Get noise canceling headphones....the kind that cut out at the gunshot. My daughters wear them 1.5 and 3.5....they barely even flinch when we shoot. I started using them 100% of the time waterfowl hunting and at the range. Mine have bluetooth also so they double as lawn mowing chain sawing hearing protection.

At the cost of high end inserted ear plugs no way I'd be taking them out stomping through the woods or in the blind....I'd loose them within a week.
Brand?

Bluefish

WKR
I want to protect my hearing without making it impossible to hear what is going on around me. My left ear is fine,
I use a custom electronic in ear from Westone/cens. There are others like from E.A.R. And a few more. I find they work well, but do get some wind noise if it’s windy. Not cheap and not enough protection for more than a shot or two from a rifle. They offer mid 20’s for impact noise protection. I like the cens units as the electronics are modular and then snap into a custom molded earpc. Makes it easy to adjust for weight changes, just order new ear molds. If you ever decide to sell them, it is an option as the electronics are not custom like many others.