Daypack with Rifle Carry

Currently I run an Exo K4 pack and can't say enough good things about it or the guys at K4 to help me set it up. But next year we booked a guided drop camp and won't need the K4. But talking to the guide and buddy that has done the hunt, we still need to cover ground. So, I'm looking for a 2000ish daypack with all-day comfort and some rifle carry/sling set up. So far Im looking at the packs below....

Kifaru Shape Charge w sherman - Great setup but spendy and with no back channels it looks hot and its heavy? We'll be in South Colorado in mid September muzzleloading.
Kifaru Minikeg - Lighter but bigger, almost 3000 and a roll top on a daypack seems like PIA.
Kuiu Venture or Venture Divide - Anyone have input on sizing on these? I'm build like a middle linebacker and generally Kuiu and I don't get along size wise.
Stone Glacier Avail- Seems light and great but no side pockets or rifle carry?

Or has anyone dropped the 22" stays in a K4 with the 2200 daypack and ran that on a hunt like this? Id be going from the 26" and would need the upper..

Far as slings go, I have no idea what to look at, I would run the Kifaru Gun Bearer but not sure it works on these smaller internal frame packs? FHF sling looks like it might be a good option but open it ideas. Thanks for the help.

wapitibob

WKR
I use a Stone Glacier frame, Rugged Stitching small custom bag, and the Slik Sling. Sling was a pita for a cpl days, fine once I got used to it, and a godsend when packing out.

5.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

bozeman

WKR
Shape Charge & Sherman, choice #1.
Seek Outside has a couple offerings as well. I have a Flight 2, I believe and it’s a great day pack with some structure/support.

croben

WKR
What K4 pack do you currently have? Why not just buy the 2200 and put it on your current frame? I have the 5000 and 7200, but primarily run the 5000. I use it on both multi day and single day trips and have no issues as it cinches down extremely small. I measure out for the 26.5 inch stays, but switch to the 25 inch stays sometimes if I’m going into thicker country knowing I’ll be going through/under more brush and trees. I’ve also dumped the lid to get an even lower and smaller pack profile. I don’t think you can switch to the 22 inch stays in the larger frame so you would have to buy the shorter frame. I also have the avail and love that pack! No hip belt pockets and no side pockets though.

Last edited:
OP
T
What K4 pack do you currently have? Why not just buy the 2200 and put it on your current frame? I have the 5000 and 7200, but primarily run the 5000. I use it on both multi day and single day trips and have no issues as it cinches down extremely small. I measure out for the 26.5 inch stays, but switch to the 25 inch stays sometimes if I’m going into thicker country knowing I’ll be going through/under more brush and trees. I’ve also dumped the lid to get an even lower and smaller pack profile. I don’t think you can switch to the 22 inch stays in the larger frame so you would have to buy the shorter frame. I also have the avail and love that pack! No hip belt pockets and no side pockets though.
I have the 2200 bag for the K4 but the whole thing seems like overkill since the outfitter will pack out if we score. And your right I would have to get the 22" stays and the smaller upper to make them work. I like the belt pockets, nalgene and inreach holders on the K4 .