Daypack for spot & stalk (bow hunter)

ForkLift

FNG
Looking for a dayback that will go well with spot & stalk bow hunting. Doesn’t need to be camo or gucci hunting. Just want something with a water bladder, can carry game bags and rain gear. Thanks.

Frame pack, the company will likely sell daypacks designed to strap on to the frame but you can just use one you like and some webbing.

For non-frame pack, my buddy has a badlands pack with a bow/rifle strap that he really likes. It might be the Connect. A little pricey but load bearing gear isn't the best place to cheap out.

Wireman07

WKR
I use a mystery ranch pop up 28 when I want to go fairly light. Can pop up the frame and still carry a decent sized load out. That's a pretty good day pack as it's a pretty compact unit. I've tried all sorts of different brands of packs and Kuiu packs fit me the best. I also have a Kuiu icon pro 3600 that works well for a day pack. You can cinch the straps down on about any brand pack and compress it down to a pretty small size.

wnelson14

WKR
Exo K4 frame with the crib, can add the belt pouches to the crib, and even use a dry bag or Hill people gear Decker bag. also works with a lid.

Bcaulder

WKR
I use a mystery ranch pop up 28 when I want to go fairly light. Can pop up the frame and still carry a decent sized load out. That's a pretty good day pack as it's a pretty compact unit. I've tried all sorts of different brands of packs and Kuiu packs fit me the best. I also have a Kuiu icon pro 3600 that works well for a day pack. You can cinch the straps down on about any brand pack and compress it down to a pretty small size.
I have a MR Pop Up 18 for sale. @ForkLift PM me if you're intersted, I'll give you a deal. My elk rifle just crapped the bed and I need to raise funds to replace.

Last edited:

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I generally use a Kifaru frame with a Stryker XL. For S/S pronghorn I have used something like the Kifaru Bane. Its strictly for carrying water maybe a layer, and I'm not so far away from the truck I can't go back for the frame. But if it's going to be an "out all day" thing, its definitely a frame pack with weight carrying ability.

Agc05

FNG
Any decent hip pack will do...i have used the Sitka Ascent 8 many times but am now looking for something with shoulder straps. I may just sew a set of suspenders to this pack.

pirogue

WKR
For the second half of “spot and stalk”, I’m a little pickier on the pack, as I’ve never been one to drop a pack, if by myself. Color, quietness, profile/bulk, would be three choosing factors.

Bbrinks

FNG
It might be a little on the large size, but I love my Kuiu Venture 1800 for a lightweight comfortable daypack. I use it for early archery whitetail as well as shed hunting and feel like it’s the perfect size and weight

HPG Connor V2 has become by go to all around hunting and fishing pack. Everything I throw at it, it handles perfectly. Have yet to find a pack with a better layout for me.

Anyone try using the “whitetail” first lite transfer pack for a day pack, or pack out on a spot and stalk?

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone try using the “whitetail” first lite transfer pack for a day pack, or pack out on a spot and stalk?
Haven’t owned that one but had a Sitka took bucket or bag (I get them confused) with a similar stand hauling system. Ended up trading it before I used it but it felt cumbersome to try and strap my saddle stuff to it, felt like it was designed for a larger lock on. As for just a backpack I think it adds unnecessary weight. I also ended up with a kifaru Stryker xl and a few attachments for a day hunt bag.

Haven’t owned that one but had a Sitka took bucket or bag (I get them confused) with a similar stand hauling system. Ended up trading it before I used it but it felt cumbersome to try and strap my saddle stuff to it, felt like it was designed for a larger lock on. As for just a backpack I think it adds unnecessary weight. I also ended up with a kifaru Stryker xl and a few attachments for a day hunt bag.
Thank you for the advice and information!

I've been super happy with my 5.11 Rush pack

Since you don't need a frame pack for hauling meat, this bag is durable and will carry all they things. Perfect size pockets for cell phone. bottom exterior pouch is big enough for kill kit, flaslight, and other stuff. The main pouch has enough organization to carry a hyration pouch, rain gear and snacks.

OP
F

ForkLift

FNG
I've been super happy with my 5.11 Rush pack

Since you don't need a frame pack for hauling meat, this bag is durable and will carry all they things. Perfect size pockets for cell phone. bottom exterior pouch is big enough for kill kit, flaslight, and other stuff. The main pouch has enough organization to carry a hyration pouch, rain gear and snacks.
I have that pack and was thinking about using it for that. I’ve used as a range and diaper bag.

I have that pack and was thinking about using it for that. I’ve used as a range and diaper bag.
Mine gets used as a hunting bag mainly, but gets range duty too. I did consider buying a 2nd one for a diaper bag 😂 (don't wanna drag a poop smell into the woods with me)