Dave Ramsey has a new podcast out-it's titled "Stay off the Rokslide gear deals forum"

8qe81n.jpg

Curious if anyone else has thoughts on this, but when I listen to Ramsey it seems pretty clear that he was just an addict. Made dumb financial moves, went bankrupt, and now is preaching his version of the 12 steps. Most of the stuff he talks about, if used properly, are perfectly fine financial instruments depending on the situation. Now if you have no self control and cannot manage money properly, he's your Guru.

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
100%. He's the equivalent of AA, but for consumer finance/money management.

"Well just pay your card off monthly, dummy." 100% correct, as is "Well, don't drink your face off, dummy." However, with addicts, well... The rules are different.

Where Dave gets "Controversial" is when his methods are applied to the "non-addict" financial population (to continue the metaphor.)

Or at least that was my takeaway, as a dude who adds up numbers and had a few clients ask about this stuff.

Curious if anyone else has thoughts on this, but when I listen to Ramsey it seems pretty clear that he was just an addict. Made dumb financial moves, went bankrupt, and now is preaching his version of the 12 steps. Most of the stuff he talks about, if used properly, are perfectly fine financial instruments depending on the situation. Now if you have no self control and cannot manage money properly, he's your Guru.

What if your one of the many of us that in normal everyday life are great with money then get on rokslide and and turn into a junky looking for their next piece of gear? Anyone have a 12 step program for that…. Who am I kidding I don’t have a problem . I’m gonna go play with my new stove that showed up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I took his financial freedom course through our church and it definitely helps you get out of debt if you stick to his program but I am 29 and don't have a million dollars in the bank to go buy cars or a house. Barely can afford groceries these days.
Dave is a fun sucker IMO. I could imagine if he came on here he would scold all of us for having thousand dollar bows, guns and glass lol.

Yoder

WKR
My wife and I took his financial freedom course through our church and it definitely helps you get out of debt if you stick to his program but I am 29 and don't have a million dollars in the bank to go buy cars or a house. Barely can afford groceries these days.
Dave is a fun sucker IMO. I could imagine if he came on here he would scold all of us for having thousand dollar bows, guns and glass lol.
He would only scold you if you didn't have your house, cars and kids college paid off with $1million in your 401k.

7mm-08

WKR
Funny perspectives on this topic. (Me typing as I stand by the mailbox wondering if my ______ will show up in the mail today from my fellow 'slider.)

I mean the average american has $20k in consumer debt right now (excluding mortgages), so I'd say there are plenty of people out there that could use Ramsey's advice.

He was the first financial media personality I found when I got out of college and was trying to figure out what I should do with my new salary when I was still living like a college kid. Some of his advice is definitely extreme and far from the most efficient way to build wealth, but I think a good chunk of americans would be better off following his program than how they're living now.

I'm far from a Ramsey fan-boy, but I do think a few aspects of his program benefit everyone:
  • Have a budget and track spending, so you're being intentional with your money
  • If you have any consumer debt (outstanding credit cards, vehicle loans, personal loans, student loans, etc.), pay it off as fast as possible and avoid consumer debt in the future
  • Make sure you are contributing to a retirement plan (401k, IRA, 403b, etc.) and not just counting on social security income.

Rcol317

FNG
You guys are just unhappy you can't speak a little common sense and become wealthy doing it. Really he's just a smart old fart that helps many see the light but makes a lot of money doing it.

roymunson

WKR
my wife and I did it when we got married. He is for money what AA is for drunks and what Weight Watchers is for obesity. He super simplifies things for those who have no self control. It's not that it won't work, but its for those who cannot do moderation.

His program did put my wife and I on the same page, and we attacked school debt, a car loan, and the down payment for our house. By the time kids came along we were able to make decisions based on what our family needed, not what was in the bank account. Don't vilify the guy. He's offering a great solution... for those who cannot reliably make good financial decisions.

my wife and I did it when we got married. He is for money what AA is for drunks and what Weight Watchers is for obesity. He super simplifies things for those who have no self control. It's not that it won't work, but its for those who cannot do moderation.

His program did put my wife and I on the same page, and we attacked school debt, a car loan, and the down payment for our house. By the time kids came along we were able to make decisions based on what our family needed, not what was in the bank account. Don't vilify the guy. He's offering a great solution... for those who cannot reliably make good financial decisions.
Right on. I actually saw a video just the other day where he’s talking about how people attack him for providing bad money advice. He flat out said “this isn’t a money program, it’s a human behavior program.” Over half this country is addicted to spending money they don’t have and are barely squeaking by. Him saying “credit cards are OK as long as you pay them off monthly because it’s important to take advantage of the 2% cash back” is like someone at an AA meeting saying “having a few drinks is OK as long as it’s during a meal and with friends.” There are people in this thread that claim to have taken his program and the concepts have clearly flew way over their head. So I guess I wouldn’t expect people who have never listened to comprehend what he’s actually saying.

Maybe if more people took responsibility and listened to DR and stopped worrying about CC points, we wouldn’t have had $167 BILLION of our tax dollars going towards student loan cancellation over the last 3.5 years.

I don’t think I’ve ever even opened the classifieds here. Is it worth the risk to save $20 on a pair of pants someone else mountain house sharted in over a couple weeks?

CorbLand

WKR
I posted it in another DR thread a couple years ago.

Daves advice is not to make you money, You will not get rich on Daves advice but if you follow it, you will be comfortable.

RS3579

WKR
I listen to him, and I’m STILL broke with out a car or house payment! Definitely the Rokslide classifieds!