Daughters and Hunting

Rich M

WKR
I think girls/women are excellent hunters and hunting partners.

I think you include the children in your lives from infancy. Scouting w baby on your back, look and see what daddy got, pictures w kids in diapers fishing and poking at dead game, duck decoys, deer antlers, etc.

Include them from day 1 and you’ll never have to worry about when to include them.

WisHunt

FNG
My 3 year old watches Randy with me and likes to see big bear and moose hunts. Looking forward to a turkey hunt with her this spring. Lots of hot chocolate and calling not so much hunting expected.

rojocop

FNG
My daughter started with me bow hunting this year she still hasn't shot anything yet but she'll get it.

The girls and ladies at our camp have all been stone cold killers of deer. If I had a daughter I wouldn't force hunting on her but wouldn't discourage her either.

My daughter is all about it. She has been helping me process meat since she was 2.

She has shot a bow since she was tiny.
She was outside stalking deer in the yard with a nerf bow when she was 3 haha. She just got her hunter safety this year (age 9). She wants to hunt.

I want her to hunt but also if she isn’t in to it then I won’t force it.

Don't you also love animals? My favorite two animals to hunt are bears and elk because I am absolutely infatuated with them. Start including them in your outdoor activities and don't be scared to have them help butcher and things like that.

My hunting buddy has 3 daughters, they recently had him spend $3500 on a double hysterectomy for their hedge hog because they are soft hearted and love animals. Come hunting season those girls hunt and help fill the freezer. Just make sure when you start taking them, it isn't about the kill, it's about them enjoying the hunt!

Yoteassasin

Lil-Rokslider
The jist is Start them early ! My oldest now 13yo daughter was asking the wife if I would kill her a turkey cause she wanted the feathers at 4 . At 5 she started coming along to the duck blind and all the kids were in charge of plucking upland game and ducks before they started kindergarten. She started duck hunting at 9 with me and the week after the 12th birthday shot her first hog . I’m hoping she keeps hunting but if she doesn’t At least she knows how

Attachments

• IMG_0788.jpeg
    IMG_0788.jpeg
    582.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5586.jpeg
    IMG_5586.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1266.jpeg
    IMG_1266.jpeg
    774.2 KB · Views: 14
No daughters but a granddaughter, she spent a lot of time with the wife and me when very small, would be around when I came back from hunting and if I killed a deer, she was all over it checking it out, when she was about 8 years old told me that she wanted to go deer hunting, the proper schooling was commenced clothing bought and range time. The season opener were off to the woods, set my rifle down and told her today is her day right after daylight along comes a six point I had been watching the deer for at least 15 mins, ask her if she seen it and the reply was yes, told her to get ready as the deer worked its way to us, she ask now, gave her a nod and next thing is a dead deer on the ground. We have hunted together for years she is now 21 and the accomplished hunter. Always told her the first one is yours and she has never let me down. Want to take her out west but her job and boyfriend has taken priority in her life now, so I will be patient and one day she will say O.K. pap lets go west and do some hunting. I will be ready.

bz_711

WKR
As many have said...take them along at young age and ease them into it.
I took my daughter to the deer stand with me from an early age, and had plenty of deer at close range...only would have shot a buck if bigger than my others, unless my daughter asked me to shoot which she never did. I then waited until she asked to hunt...at age 11 she asked if she could shoot a deer...we practiced with the crossbow all summer and she took a nice buck that Nov. I'll never forget that hunt! She still asks to go in her rare free time (being 15 and in high school sports), and she says she's only shooting bucks...but I'm fine with that:)
We also let our kids pick their birthday meal when we have family over...and for years she has asked for deer or elk steaks...didn't think I could love her even more:)

Overall just include them and let them ask for when they want to do more.

I also have 3 boys that hunt...funny story about taking them at young age and letting them ask for more...had my 2nd son in a treestand with me ( I think he was 8) and he knew I really only wanted to shoot a big buck as his brother had already shot 2 deer that season...so I said it needs to be 10pts or bigger. But I also know getting them hooked is more important...so when a small yearling 10pt was standing broadside and the look in his eyes and sound in his voice when he said "it has 10pts Dad, please shoot him"...I had no choice. Letting him track it, taking his picture with it, and letting him tell the story was more than worth it.

I've been blessed to sit beside all 4 kids as they shot their first deer, I know hunting will come and go with busy schedules and moving out, etc...but I think I've done enough to at least get them to meet up annually for some type of hunt together.

Get Outdoors!

Chuckybmd

WKR
I hoped at least one of my two daughters would like hunting. Neither of them really do. They do appreciate what it means to me, so I’m grateful for that at least.

My daughter will be 13 this year and she is a fair weather hunter. She's been going with me for the last 5-6 years and enjoys tagging along. Last year was her first year as the hunter and she had a great season. She had opportunities and chose not to shoot does or little bucks. She has been with me on successful hunts and enjoys the harvest. I'm hoping this is her year for success, on what she wants to take. Her brother is 10 and always wants to go. He is hooked but I always ask my daughter first if she wants to go and give her first choice. Definitely looking forward to this fall.

Maki35

WKR
I would wait until she's a little older. Maybe she's not ready yet.

My daughter is older. She likes fishing, archery & target shooting. but no interest in hunting.

Last edited:

sjwfarms

Lil-Rokslider
I was blessed with a daughter that I always hoped would one day be my hunting partner, at least occasionally. At 6 years old I took her on an easy duck hunt as an observer. She loved the experience, not so much the hunting, but the whole early morning breakfast in the blind thing and no rules on what you get to eat. She didn't go again until age 10, shot her first duck, the only spoonbill I'd ever mount and it's still proudly on my wall. The reality is those hunts were more for me and it was too soon, she just wanted to spend time with her dad, with no real interest in hunting.

I thought her hunting days were over until the Covid lockdown BS happened. Night before the Turkey opener I asked her if she (now 17 years old) wanted to get up at 4AM and go. Surprisingly she excitedly said yes, just to get out and do something. We ended up doubling on a pair of double bearded Toms that morning, a first for us both. Of course both fans and beards are on my wall along with a picture of us that morning. In reality that was probably the last time she'll ever go hunting with me, but this time the memory was special to both of us.

Now at almost 21, she likes to hang out with me and cook wild game when she's home from college, usually with a couple of old duck dogs laying at our feet. She gets why I do what I love to do, and although she's not going with me for the shooting, I'm glad to have her around to experience what is still part of the hunt.

I guess to continue in with what I had said before…. I started my wife hunting before we were engaged. She was all about it because I was. First hunt ever at 21 she has a huge Tom pitch down off the roost at 25 yards and dumps him. Hunt lasted 30 min and 27 of that was in the dark. Deer hunting her first year she shoots a doe all by her self. Super proud of her. So to tie this back to the original thread… she hasn’t hunted in 15 years. She is all about going gain. Not hunting, but being a mentor to our kids. It’s funny how things come back around full circle. I hope my daughter stays with it. And if not, then maybe she gets back into if her kids want to go. I’ll always be available for anyone to go.

Decker9

WKR
I ran into the same scenario with my daughter and her love for all animals when she was very young. It took some time, but by 6-7 y/o she was getting ok with the dirty side of things. I found explaining why we are doing it was the best cure, all aspects of why we are doing it, the biggest being loving life having fun and making memories. Currently packing up for her third hike in sheep hunt.

“Chicken soup tastes better on a mountain”… change her mind lol.

Attachments

• IMG_5119.jpeg
    IMG_5119.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 14
My daughters at a young age wanted to come hunting with me. So when I could, I made it a point to take them along. We spent alot of time in the outdoors, camping, fishing, and shooting as well. I never did push hunting on them. But, when my oldest (16 now) told me that when she turned 12, she wanted me to take her elk hunting, I did. My youngest turns 12 in the spring and has asked me to do the same for her.

IME, just exposing them to the outdoors and letting their curiosity grow was the changing factor. Just plant the seed!
Screenshot_20230729_010727_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20230729_010650_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20230729_010451_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20230729_010631_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20230729_010932_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20230729_010955_Instagram.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230729_010631_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230729_010631_Instagram.jpg
    799.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230729_010955_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230729_010955_Instagram.jpg
    888.3 KB · Views: 7
I'm in the start em early camp. My girls wouldn't know what it looked like to be left behind. My problem isn't getting them to go, it's figuring out how to get them on elk every year. They expect it. I don't even need a gun any more, just good boots and a sharp knife. But I couldn't care less about pulling the trigger, that's a small part of the experience.