Daughters and Hunting

Fowl Play

WKR
Alright fellas, figured I'd at least ask just to see what others have done. The good Lord knew I needed a challenge in life so has blessed me with two daughters (4 & 6) -- who are starting to grow up with soft hearts to just about all animals. I don't want to tear that out of them, but also would be great if I could get at least one of them as a hunting buddy :ROFLMAO:

I've at least taught them where their food comes from, they don't mind that. They just don't want to see it happen. Prime example, took my oldest turkey hunting with me a couple times this year. She thoroughly enjoyed it. Finally called one within shooting range, and just as I was about to pull the trigger I hear "Please don't shoot him daddy. Let's just take a picture." So guess what... I didn't shoot him. (We also didn't get a picture cause about 2 seconds later he was running back where he came from.) If she can't see a turkey die, then I am 100% positive deer or any other animal is out of the question either.

What's the consensus here. Should I wait till a bit older? Or just introduce her to the harsh reality and see what happens?

Alright fellas, figured I'd at least ask just to see what others have done. The good Lord knew I needed a challenge in life so has blessed me with two daughters (4 & 6) -- who are starting to grow up with soft hearts to just about all animals. I don't want to tear that out of them, but also would be great if I could get at least one of them as a hunting buddy :ROFLMAO:

I've at least taught them where their food comes from, they don't mind that. They just don't want to see it happen. Prime example, took my oldest turkey hunting with me a couple times this year. She thoroughly enjoyed it. Finally called one within shooting range, and just as I was about to pull the trigger I hear "Please don't shoot him daddy. Let's just take a picture." So guess what... I didn't shoot him. (We also didn't get a picture cause about 2 seconds later he was running back where he came from.) If she can't see a turkey die, then I am 100% positive deer or any other animal is out of the question either.

What's the consensus here. Should I wait till a bit older? Or just introduce her to the harsh reality and see what happens?
I raised 3 daughters, they are18,22 and 24 now. All 3 hunted with me when they were lil’ shavers. Maybe try fishing first. Some kids just don’t have the heart to and you may have to be okay with that.

At 4 and 6 I wouldn't worry too much about it. They are around it enough just as things are now. Looking down the corridor of time, even if they don't hunt they may well marry a someone who does. Afterall, most girls choose a guy the resembles their dad in some ways...

Oregon

WKR
My daughter asked me to take her duck hunting on her 12th birthday. She thought she'd like it cause I always went and her brothers went. She hated the cold and early morning.
She has killed 3 does and a buck, and a dozen or so ducks.
She still requests duck dinners when she visits. Hasn't hunted since she was 16. 28 Now.
IMG_0455.jpegIMG_0455.jpeg

LostArra

WKR
Too early.
10-12 yr prime time for hunting.
Start with fishing.
Mine are now 41, 40, 38 and 35.
One hunts, she and a sister are hardcore fishing, other two are "call me when they are biting".
All eat game meat.

Afhunter1

WKR
Biggest thing for me is just take em along. Most people wait for this or that and come up with a zillion excuses to wait to take their kids out. While you are waiting your kids are finding other stuff that’s fun to do And might not want to hunt when you’re finally ready to take em. Mine 21b, 19g, 15b have been along hunting since they could talk. They don’t know not hunting. My best friend has 3 kids as well but none hunt and the main reason is he waited because he didn’t want bothered until they were 10 or 12 but all of them found other stuff to do and never wanted to hunt when he was ready. You got to make them the priority from day one. A big 10 point steps out for their first deer you don’t shoot it out from under them you let them kill it. That’s being a parent. Good luck!

Sevens

WKR
I have a daughter who is almost 3 and another one on the way. My wife isn’t exactly ecstatic of the idea of them going hunting either. If they express interest, I’ll happily take them, but otherwise I’ll just use all the estrogen in the house as an excuse to go hunting. I need to counterbalance all the tea parties and princess events I’ll have to go to.

The one thing I am adamant about is that they understand how firearms work. I don’t ask that they like them, but I do want to show and teach them how they work. I’m sure one day some idiot boy will take them to the shooting range and I want to ensure they know how to operate and be safe with a firearm, because most likely wannabe John Wick won’t.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I think small game is worth considering to start. Don't force it, but it might be easier to take several squirrels, being able to do it multiple times in a day helps normalize the action for them. I would get the 4 year old out now.

My oldest daughter was bugging me to take her out at three, I got her out ptarmigan hunting at 4 and she fussed at me for not having her shoot one.

My daughter is 18 now. She went elk hunting with me a couple times when she was younger. Loved to ride the horse, but we never killed anything on those trips. She has such a big heart and love of animals, she wouldn’t have enjoyed seeing anything killed. But she is cool with her brother and I hunting. I think she is an awesome kid and love how compassionate she is. I wouldn’t change her for anything.

Important to add - she has a beautiful weatherby camilla 243 that has only been to the range.

Last edited:

Oregon

WKR
Funny story. That same daughter hunted with me non stop. As did her brothers. Here in Oregon, it's not unusual to throw rifle in truck and drive logging roads looking for deer.
Wife was working and I had day off. Load up the kids and go road hunt.
Boys were 3 and 4. She was 14 months and in a car seat.
Throw up binoculars and see a buck at the bottom of clear cut. Get out and kill it.
Then reality hits. I can't leave her in truck. Can't pack her down. Doh!!!! Stressed as stressed gets.
Drive back to house. Waited 7 hours til wife got off work.
Yeah, I'm an idiot.

I took my girls bird hunting with me almost before they could walk. I’d just put them in the back carrier with a set of ear muffs on. They were always involved in butchering and loved to run the grinder. When they were old enough to pack a rifle and hunt all 3 did for a few years. I pushed too hard for them to hunt like I did and completely turned them off. The middle one hunts with me now but she is the only one. All 3 love to fish though, so we have fun doing that instead.

Teach them how to shoot when it fits them. Show them the outdoors and spending time with you. Let them grow into it. 9-12 is about right.

OP
Fowl Play

Fowl Play

WKR
If I'm going they are going. They don't wall tent hunt in November yet because it would be way to much but we antelope hunt as a family every year, shed hunt and fish together. They love it and it's fun to do it all together as a family.
Nice pics, I have a bunch similar for hiking, fishing, and from hunting (without taking an animal). I take both of them everywhere with me as well. But was taken aback when my oldest asked for me not to shoot a turkey. I may try having them help me process an animal just to see if I can ease them into exposure. They are both a little squeamish of watching me cut up bait or watching me clean fish. I definitely want to keep it fun for them, so am not going to press the line too hard.

KsRancher

WKR
As mentioned above. Don't push it. It will just take some time. I have a little girl who is turning 9 in the morning. She would always say "dad, why did you shoot the poor deer?". This winter she FINALLY asked "dad, when can I shoot a deer?"

I bet when your oldest finally decides is okay. Your youngest will be ready

hunterjmj

WKR
Pull out the grinder and they'll enjoy helping. They take turns running meat through the grinder and pushing buttons on the vac sealer. For thousands of years kids were way more involved with food than they are now. My girls love to try anything new and getting them off the iPads is always good. Good luck!

OutHeavy

FNG
I'll offer one more recommendation that hasn't been mentioned yet, although it may be a few years until you can take advantage of it. If you can get your girls into a local 4H program (minimum age is 8 or 9) that will go a long way in helping then understand and make the connection between the care and respect we give to animals that ultimately give back to us as a food source. For my two girls this was the turning point from viewing wild animals as potential pets and reconsidering them as game. Good luck!

Ralphie

WKR
At 4 my daughter refused to even touch the first fish she ever caught. By 12 she was shooting elk and fully participating in cutting them up. She’s a nursing student in college now and had no qualms about dissecting dead humans in class.

So yeah they can change.