Darn Tough Socks - Failure

dotman

WKR
Had my first Darn Tough sock fail on me over the weekend, went to put it on and it ripped a hole behind the heal. Guess now I'll get to see how good their customer service and warranty really is. I have probably 6 pairs of these socks and between these and Lorpen they are pretty much all I wear anymore. They both started to wear thin after 3 years of hard use, I'll only buy Darn Tough going forward if they truely do honor their warranty as I'll end up not having to buy socks again ever, once I'm stocked up.

I have to say though that I'm really happy with how long the socks have lasted as most socks start to suck after a year. I have been pleased with both Lorpen and Darn Tough.

Just something to think about, even though the socks are $20 a pair they have an unconditional life time warranty which is great.

Anyone else have to use their warranty and what was your experience?

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set that are finally blown out in the heel after 2 1/2 yrs, haven't sent them back yet so please let me know how it works for you as I am needing to send this pair back.

arthurvino

Lil-Rokslider
They will replace your socks. I read that people sent them other brand socks by mistake and they sent them a pair of darn tough socks back to try out.

Interested in the outcome as well. Looking on their site today, I see they are even looking after us up here in the great white north, as they have a warranty return address in Vancouver so we don't have to ship them across the line.

Kotaman

WKR
I don't know, if I can get 3 years of hard use out of a pair of socks when they finally fail I'll buy more of said socks and not expect free ones. I would want to support the company so they'll be around in the future.

Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee or Not...I agree with this statement 100%.

akrdkill

WKR
Sent in 6 or 7 pair this winter got all new ones back. Worn mine thin on the heels

lintond

WKR
Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee or Not...I agree with this statement 100%.

X2! Sometimes we have realize when we've gotten a lifetime of use out of something. 3 hard years out of socks is pretty damn good.

They last a lot longer if you don't put em in the dryer. That weakens them alot (like most merino). I let mine air dry. They are still darn tough.

I just did this a few months back, sent in a pair and they sent me a brand new one. An then I went and bought 2 more pair. They have a customer for life with me and I tell everyone I know about then. Great great product

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Oh don't get me wrong I agree with everyone but I have also had a great experience with my Lorpen socks which I think pretty much have the same warranty. Only thing that I haven't experienced is either companies customer service but I would not hesitate to buy either companies products again. I was mainly saying if they have poor CS I would still explore other quality options. At $20 - $25 a pop for socks I expect them to stand behind them and from what I have heard they are great to work with.

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
If you have a Darn Tough dealer, you can just take the socks in and they will give you a new pair. The dealer then can send them in for credit. Saves you some time and postage.

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
Just purchased my first two pair for running after reading about them on this site. I love their company story and their policies and will continue to support them.

bobhunts

WKR
They are my favorite socks. I will be getting more. Only have one pair for a trial run but I have putting them on every Saturday when I go scouting for sheep. The are my go to sock for me and I will stuff the drawers full when there is a sale at socks addicts.com. Bob.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Thanks for bringing this one back up, forgot all about it. The entire process took about 3 weeks and new socks showed up. I'm extremely happy when you consider the cost of the socks. I never did hear from them, just mailed the torn socks in and new ones arrived.

arthurvino

Lil-Rokslider
Best socks. I have coolmax and merino light hikers. They keep on going for 2 years already. Like new. Bruce - great tip.