Dang it Dudley!

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I saw a clip the other day of him talking about holding a lighter underneath your ring and pinky finger, and it helping consistent grip position etc...Well I didn't have a lighter handy but I picked up a stick and broke it off. Stupid thing worked, now I need to haul a little stick or lighter around with me hunting...I didn't think I had that much variance but if it helped I must have. or its one hell of a placebo. Regardless. Best of luck this season!

form is everything in archery.. If you can have consistent archery and a repeatable arrow release you're 90% home.

Saw the same video. Not a placebo for sure. A few of the legit YT archers have covered proper grip. The lighter trick was good. Immediately corrected my shots hitting consistently right by a couple inches. I wasn’t over gripping. I pretty much had just the web of my hand on the grip and my wrist was to straight.

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I saw mfjj say something similar in a diff vid. Luckily picking up a piece of a stick is cheap enough and has decent results

N2TRKYS

WKR
I couldn’t imagine having to put something between your fingers and grip to be able to shoot a bow.

These guys are running out of content.

Dudley actually has multiple videos covering form and technique. He seems to redo a video on something every 2 years. Dud seems really committed to getting people shooting with good form and knows that if someone sees a 5 or 6 year old video, they'll skip it in favor of a 3-9month old video.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The question is.......can you repeat that form without a stick (or lighter) while leaning around a tree shooting at an animal? Or after running 100 yards up a slope to get into position on an elk? I set my bow up for a grip that I know I can repeat regardless what contorted position I'm in while shooting.

3forks

WKR
I’m not trying to criticize anyone, but while there’s a lot of info to be gained from guys like Dudley who produce incredibly helpful and informative videos, there’s really no replacement for getting a proper foundation for your form and shot process from a qualified coach.

I see so many people at the range with bad form and shot processes. Guaranteed all of these guys are self taught. These same guys may be able improve by becoming aware of an issue that they might see in a video and recognize they have, but they’re oblivious to many other issues they have. By the same token, I’ve seen people who got started in archery with a lesson, and they quickly become very good. Any newer bow / sight that someone can buy right now is inherently easy to shoot and accurate, but people impede their ability to take advantage of how forgiving and good the equipment is when they begin shooting and practicing/reinforcing bad habits.

Again, I’m not trying to be critical of anyone who uses online content or produces it, but I think so many people would see a huge jump in their ability to be accurate at any distance if they spent a few bucks on coaching. The best athletes in the world at their sports still all have coaches.