CVA Accura MR-X peep sights

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have experience with the NEW Williams western precision sight set on the Accura MR-X (rifle purchased fall 2021)? This is the one with the fiber optic front post (SKU 604816 on muzzle-loaders.com)

I am one of the many that has their rear sight sticking way up off the ramp to get close to zero with the peep sight mounted on the rifle as purchased. They told me this sight will fix that. There's a lot of talk about this issue but it's really hard to tell what's current.

It's pretty appalling that this is even an issue - does anyone ever actually shoot one of these before they sell them? Nice rifle otherwise, of course.

OP
C

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I now see that Muzzle-loaders.com says this, in a blog-style update but not on the product page:

***CVA Accura MR-X & LR-X (can work, but not ideally designed for these rifles)

Sounds like it's not going to work without me monkeying around with custom shims. Again. I guess I'll see how it goes.

BriderLV

FNG
I have that same set - it was recommended from them when I bought the MRX back in May of this year. Mine seems fine but I did need to file the screw down but they told me might be needed. I have since moved to the Ace in a hole setup.

Do you have a link to the blog?

OP
C

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I have that same set - it was recommended from them when I bought the MRX back in May of this year. Mine seems fine but I did need to file the screw down but they told me might be needed. I have since moved to the Ace in a hole setup.

Do you have a link to the blog?

I spoke to them again on the phone, and they're convinced it'll work fine. Will update when I receive and mount the sights.

OP
C

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
I mounted these the other day. The rear aperture is significantly higher than the one that came stock on the muzzleloader, so I do think it will fix my elevation problem. To get it to the same height as the existing sight (which is up halfway off the ramp and still about 2" low at 50 yards) it's about 30% of the way up its elevation travel range.

The front globe is probably why they say "may fit". It doesn't sit quite flush on the barrel because it doesn't match the curvature exactly. I bedded it on there with some JB Weld. Picture below is the fit before bedding.

Attachments

• 20240114_171025.jpg
    20240114_171025.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 24
yeah that's the one i was talking about.

the front just kind of is what it is, people have been having issues getting it to fit right and be the right height for almost a decade.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That rear sight is a nice option.

On my optima and Accura MR-X I have a peep rib on the back, it works fine in height with the williams front globe, puts the peep back as far as possible (increased sight radius) and allows you to mount a scope without touching the open sights if you want to.

I have a 2022 Accura LR X with the same setup as pods8. Williams globe and EABCO peep rail and they both fit and work great. The peep rail has a longer ramp for more rear sight elevation. Both bought from muzzle-loaders .com

OP
C

cowdisciple

Lil-Rokslider
My new setup seems to be in the elevation adjustment sweet spot, and the globe with crosshairs is a substantial improvement as the front sight.

Definitely have some more load testing to do before I shoot it at a moose, though.

CMF

WKR
I bought my MRX with stock open sights and ordered the Williams fiber optic front. The stock rear peep didn't have enough elevation so I emailed them and they gave me the right part number and I ordered over the phone with them. Works fine.

UncleBone

WKR
Just picked up this sight for my MR-X and the front sight sits flush with the barrel. Must of fixed the spacing issue.
The one I got last september doesnt sit flush, I never got around to mounting it, so I may try and get a new one and see if that works. Hopefully it does.

elkivory

FNG
I bought my MRX with stock open sights and ordered the Williams fiber optic front. The stock rear peep didn't have enough elevation so I emailed them and they gave me the right part number and I ordered over the phone with them. Wor

I bought my MRX with stock open sights and ordered the Williams fiber optic front. The stock rear peep didn't have enough elevation so I emailed them and they gave me the right part number and I ordered over the phone with them. Works fine.
Do you by any chance have the part number they gave you?

CMF

WKR
Do you by any chance have the part number they gave you?
Me:
Which rear peep do I need for the Accura MR-X? I ordered the front globe to pair with the stock rear peep, but I need more elevation and the aperture is too small. I see one of the models specifically excludes the MR-X, but I don't know which one to get. I'm assuming the Fool proof will work? If so, what is the aperture size on it?

Williams customer service:
You need either rear base # 645899 and mounting screw # 51970 and can use the original toppers that came with the stock sight (this would have to be ordered by phone).
Or you can use the FP sight # 619545. The FP sight comes with a 3/8” OD x .093”ID aperture. IF you want the large aperture I recommend aperture # 051104

Here is contact info
[email protected]
Brian Newlon
Customer Service
Williams Gun Sight Company
810 653 2131 ext. 511