Custom rifle tough to feed from internal magazine

He is paying both ways. It seems like this is a rare occurrence for him, a lot of people have never had issues in the past.

It will cycle, sometimes you have to run it forward till it stops, then go at it again. Other times it just binds up completely. Doesn’t seem to be any logic to it, minus the fact that it really doesn’t like having 3 stacked in it.

I’ve had similar issues with a couple custom guns. It’s an issue of tolerance stack sometimes. You’ve got a bunch of components from different companies, each with clearance and runout tolerances of their own, all cobbled together and expected to work harmoniously. It doesn’t always happen. Sometimes it’s as simple as sliding the mag spring front or back, as Wrench stated, to put a little more fore or aft pressure on the mag follower. Sometimes you can also stretch out the spring to give it more pressure.

If all else fails sometimes a straight box works better than a staggered. I had a .300 wsm that wouldn’t feed come from one of the most highly regarded rifle shops in the country. I know short mags can sometimes be a bear to feed and this was no exception. The shop even did extensive load work up and must have single fed it every time because that sucker wouldn’t feed at all, period. I can’t believe they let it out the door. Ultimately, switching to a straight stack mag follower and box solved the problem, but it cost me one down, and I now have to load it from the floor plate with the rifle upside down. It’s smooth as butter tho.

Last edited:
Back