Custom rifle maker - recommendations wanted.

John,
I like the sako action - primarily for short both throw. I’m looking through stocks now and not sure which yet [manners mcs-eh3, peak 44 blacktooth, ag composite]. For weight - haven’t set a firm target yet. Working a bottoms up approach first. Expecting rifle and base to be 7 to 7.5. Will put a Leupold VX5 on it for sure adding another 20 oz. Any insights you have are welcome. Thx, Jeff

Dont get an EH3. Had one, the grip sucks.

Had rifles or at least barrels from 3 of the smiths listed by @JohnJohnson. Beanland is probably the one I'd be most likely to use again.

Some smiths for full builds that seem appealing to me based perceived attention to detail are Piercision rifles, Stratton custom rifles (in CO), and Country Custom metals (NV).

Last edited:
OP
Jeff_Gibbons

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
Dont get an EH3. Had one, the grip sucks.

Had rifles or at least barrels from 3 of the smiths listed by @JohnJohnson. Beanland is probably the one I'd be most likely to use again.

Some smiths for full builds that seem appealing to me based perceived attention to detail are Piercision rifles, Stratton custom rifles (in CO), and Country Custom metals (NV).
Thanks. The eh3 is my selected stock. Can you share more on the grip/

Thanks. The eh3 is my selected stock. Can you share more on the grip/

The grip to trigger distance is extremely long. Unless you have gigantic hands the grip is of little use when pressing the trigger. I.E. it's not useful like a grip should be when pulling a trigger. Not that a guy cant shoot well with the stock it's just silly to have a $700 stock that sucks for breaking triggers IMO. You can have a stiff plastic one with the same shitty ergos and weight for $100.

I can’t recommend Van at Plains Precision Rifles enough. He took on my build when I’d already bought all the parts, and had no problems Turing out a gun that weighs just under 8 pounds suppressed and shoots .8” groups at 300 yards. Great guy to work with too.

OP
Jeff_Gibbons

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
The grip to trigger distance is extremely long. Unless you have gigantic hands the grip is of little use when pressing the trigger. I.E. it's not useful like a grip should be when pulling a trigger. Not that a guy cant shoot well with the stock it's just silly to have a $700 stock that sucks for breaking triggers IMO. You can have a stiff plastic one with the same shitty ergos and weight for $100.
Good info to know. Thx! I was able to handle the AG Alpine yesterday and liked it.

Scotto

WKR
Another vote for APR. Throughout the build process and after delivery, someone has picked up the phone every time I called and answered my questions.
The AG Alpine Hunter stock is nice.

wildcat33

WKR
Not sure what your budget is, but you could easily buy a manners with a mini chassis and a good action (pure precision does a two lug with 75 deg bolt), prefit barrel, and a few tools and put together in an hour without the gunsmith cost.

If you have the money and think you can shoot the difference then Piercision, black canyon customs, and Kevin weaver would be my short list.