Custom rifle maker - recommendations wanted.

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Rokslide,
I'm looking for recommendations on custom hunting rifle shop/smith. I've tried to search the forum without any luck.
The plan is CF barrel and stock, prefer 3 lug action but a really nice remington clone is fine. No interest on tikka action - sorry :)
Thanks in advance.

Jeff

bayou0509

FNG
Classified Approved
I committed to Wolf Precision out of Pennsylvania earlier this year. Jamie was pleasant to work with through the process. Hopefully my rifle will be completed in 4-6 more weeks.

IDVortex

WKR
TS Customs.

If I do build a rifle later this year or next, I'll be going with Travis or next on my list is a local shop to me being UM.

Mark Bansner, Adamstown Pa. I have 2 he built. A 35 Whelen and a 338-06. Small shop but one of the best. Seriously, he invented and manufactured the turkey choke and began the dedicated turkey shotgun builds. Thats where he got his start in the custom gun building. He has been building some of the best custom "sheep" rifles for a long long time for those sheep/goat hunters. A bit on the expensive side though.

B23

WKR
My "go to" smiths are Defensive Edge Rifles and Kampfeld Customs. Shawn and his dad at DE have built numerous for me and they've all been great as well as they are top notch to work with and have never steered me wrong. I've also had Karl Kampfeld do quite a bit of work for me too and Karl is another one that is awesome to work with. I've been there and bought a fair amount of stuff from Unknown Munitions and the guys at UM have always been great too. They've never done a build for me but I'd have complete confidence in them if they ever did.

Those three would be my top three picks. Of course all three are pretty local to me so that makes things even easier. Having a good smith you can meet and drop your stuff off in person is really nice but it can also be expensive because it almost makes it to easy to start a new build. ;)

TS Customs
Longrifles Inc
GA Precision (long ass wait with them though)
Southern Precision Rifles (aka Bugholes)
Beanland
Kampfeld
Stuteville (if you go with an Impact action)
Short Action Customs

What's the draw of a 3 lug for you?
What stock are you planning on getting?
What is your goal weight for the rifle without optic on it?

Jmedin

FNG
TS customs they built a 7 PRC for me. They’re also building a 22 creedmoor right now. Blue mountain precision is building a 25 prc first build from them

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for TS Customs here. I went through this process a couple yrs ago and ultimately went with them. No complaints whatsoever. Travis answers his phone, is easy to work with and does quality work.

OP
Jeff_Gibbons

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
TS Customs
Longrifles Inc
GA Precision (long ass wait with them though)
Southern Precision Rifles (aka Bugholes)
Beanland
Kampfeld
Stuteville (if you go with an Impact action)
Short Action Customs

What's the draw of a 3 lug for you?
What stock are you planning on getting?
What is your goal weight for the rifle without optic on it?
John,
I like the sako action - primarily for short both throw. I’m looking through stocks now and not sure which yet [manners mcs-eh3, peak 44 blacktooth, ag composite]. For weight - haven’t set a firm target yet. Working a bottoms up approach first. Expecting rifle and base to be 7 to 7.5. Will put a Leupold VX5 on it for sure adding another 20 oz. Any insights you have are welcome. Thx, Jeff

John,
I like the sako action - primarily for short both throw. I’m looking through stocks now and not sure which yet [manners mcs-eh3, peak 44 blacktooth, ag composite]. For weight - haven’t set a firm target yet. Working a bottoms up approach first. Expecting rifle and base to be 7 to 7.5. Will put a Leupold VX5 on it for sure adding another 20 oz. Any insights you have are welcome. Thx, Jeff
Most of the recommended smiths in this thread primarily build on custom Remington clones. I'm a bad source since I don't really care about weight currently. With your goal weight of 7-7.5# without the optic I'd probably be looking at a Lone Peak Fuzion (Alpine Cut) or an Impact NBK since I like 2-lug actions for lighter bolt lift. In fact if the cartridge you're using is based on a short action and you go with an Impact NBK, they've recently come out with a 75-degree bolt that you can just drop in to existing Impact short actions.

Having said that, if you're looking for affordable 3-lug R700 clones then it'd be the ARC Coup De Grace Lightweight or an Aero Precision Solus Lightweight. The cadillac of R700 3-lug clones would be a Terminus Zeus but that's more than most people seem to want to spend on an action.

As far as anything related to Sako I don't really have a clue unfortunately. What little knowledge I have is based around custom Remington clone actions. For stocks I've had Manners stocks and they're always good stuff. Unfamiliar with the other brands you mentioned.