Custom Boots

So I have come to the realization that I am never going to get a boot that fits me well enough to save my feet and the inevitable solution is going to be a custom boot. I have feet that measure size 12 between a 4E and 6E in width, so I often have issues getting anything to fit. Does anyone have any experience with getting custom boots done and what I should expect? Ball park what should I be saving up? I am eagerly awaiting the fast-approaching day when our shoes will be custom 3D printed. A few running shoes with printed soles will be coming out in the next couple years.

I also have 12 EEEE boot needs.
I tried the Lathrop route, several years ago. Didn't work for me!!

Many years ago I had a couple of pair of Wesco boots made to my custom measurements. Fit like a glove!!

Last year , I sent the remaining pair back to them, (Wesco Boot Company, Scappoose, Oregon) and they turned them into new boots for me.
As I get older, my feet tend to spread out a little, so they widened them even more. They are great folks to deal with.

Bob

Whites boots and Hawthorn boots out of Spokane also make a fine product and they could match your foot! My father was a line-man for the power department and that is all he ever wore.

kodiakfly

WKR
Yeah, Whites are custom-made to your foot. I've always wanted a pair, but never could justify it.

OP
C
someone mentioned the custom foot in englewood. from what i saw on the http://thecustomfoot.com/ they seem similar to lathrop and sons.

Yeah, I'm hesitant to go with them because from what I've seen they would only stretch off the shelf boots, which isn't good enough when your foot is hanging off the side of the sole.

Can anyone give some ideas of pricing? I won't be doing this anytime soon because it just isn't in the budget yet but I'm trying to figure out how much I am going to have to budget to make it happen.

I'm taking the advice and ordered my 3d kit from lathrop
i will document my experience and the process, and start a thread and update it as i go

Check out Nick's Custom Boots....similar to White's. They send you a kit to take all sorts of precise measurements of your foot and build you boots that match each foot. From what I've seen guys are usually very happy after going this route.

Tod osier

WKR
I went the Russell route a couple years back for a pair of upland boots and the experience was awful. The quality of the boots produced looked great, but the overall experience was really bad. Maybe I expected too much... I went to the factory in WI, since I couldn't see buying custom boots on just a tracing of my foot and measurements I made. The first pair was sent without being adjusted to fit for green superfeet (even though I was charged a "customization" charge on the bill to accommodate the superfeet). The second pair was sent with the wrong sole and their solution was to resole them (sole I wanted was a black vibram, but the sole they put on was a browny-purple), so I would have had brand new custom boots with a resoled sole that was two-tone and a resole. Not to mention that it took months beyond what they said for every step, it was a couple of years before I pulled the plug on the torture. As far as custom, that means a different thing to them than it did to me as well. The second pair, which I could get my feet into with superfeet in were really long - like clown shoes. When I asked about why the heck, my custom boots were too long for me (but fit well otherwise) the answer was that they have to work with the lasts they have. The one they used was the best fit for me. So custom as in leather and sole choice, but the lasts you get one made on are what they have - if your feet are a little wide, apparently, you get a pair of clown shoes (which you could just buy a couple sizes up off they shelf). Anyway, my story. I'm used to if you buy something with a good reputation and top shelf price, you get top shelf performance and service. This was a case for me that it did not pan out that way. In my research prior, I will say a lot of guys seem really happy with the boots.

Last edited:
OP
C
I went the Russell route a couple years back for a pair of upland boots and the experience was awful. The quality of the boots produced looked great, but the overall experience was really bad. Maybe I expected too much...

Good to know. Sounds like one to avoid. If spending custom money I would expect a custom boot so I don't think it's expecting too much. Green superfeet are a good insole so I wouldn't blame them for using them, but I would blame them for charging me to cut them. I expect a sole to perfectly fit my foot and that they would've cut the superfeet to the custom sole not my foot.

I have been researching these suggestions and have two questions:
1) None of these options seem to use modern technology and materials. Are there companies that make custom boots with modern high-tech materials? Maybe I'm just being the pesky young guy, but there is a reason why materials like Gore-tex are used in almost every boot made commercially. I have sweaty feet so a pure leather boot may be a bad idea for me.
2) None of these companies seem to make a mountain hunting boot or at least in my mind what one should look like. Are the firefighing boots going to be the closest thing? Does anyone make a custom mountaineering boot?

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
Limmer boots are old school mountaineering boots but their leather lining will wick sweat away better than any gortex. Plus gortex leaks in a couple of months anyway. Keeping a pair of boots well greased will keep them as waterproof as any other waterproof boot. I've found this to be true with snowboarding gloves as I now use all leather work gloves that keep my hand warmer and drier. I have no experience with Any of the custom boots mentioned (even Limmers) but I've been on the same search as you and those seem to be the best I can find. When funds allow I'll probably get Limmers. Nick's, Whites, Wescos, etc. are all great boots from what I've read but their made for wildland firefighting and lineman. They all offer lower heeled boots that might be a better option. Just some food for thought! For what it's worth my leather work boots (Justin's) are more waterproof than my waterproof hikers (cabelas,) which are about as waterproof as mesh.

Tod osier

WKR
Good to know. Sounds like one to avoid. If spending custom money I would expect a custom boot so I don't think it's expecting too much. Green superfeet are a good insole so I wouldn't blame them for using them, but I would blame them for charging me to cut them. I expect a sole to perfectly fit my foot and that they would've cut the superfeet to the custom sole not my foot.

Just to be clear on the Superfeet thing, since I'm the one griping and I don't want you to misunderstand (I also don't want to drag this out). I use Green Superfeet in my boots and I told them so when ordering. They said something to the effect: "Superfeet are great, we will have to modify the boot when we make them to fit them and we will charge you a nominal fee. You buy Superfeet and put them in when you get the boot". I thought no biggie on the extra charge, since it was only 10-15 dollars. When I got the boots they were overly tight with the insoles. On calling them they had no note in my file to modify for superfeet, but they agreed that I told them since they charged me extra for the modifications and it was an extra line on the bill.

Poltax

Lil-Rokslider
I will second Nicks Boots in Spokane. They make a great boot and send you a fit kit to get your sizing correct

OP
C
I will second Nicks Boots in Spokane. They make a great boot and send you a fit kit to get your sizing correct

Poltax, Which boots did you go with? Have you taken them in steep and/or rocky terrain? How breathable do you feel they are? As I said before I get pretty sweaty feet, so this is a concern for me going with an all-leather boot.

I have a pair of nicks custom boots out of Spokane. I believe they were around $450. Parents got them for me as a graduation present 8 years ago. Been resoled once and are going to be due for it again soon.