Custom arrows vs w shop build

sacklunch

WKR
I dont build my own arrows...probably should. But until then, what are the thoughts on custom arrows from online? DCA, Iron Will to name a few vs say my local bowshop, that I know nothing about, but I'm sure they are fully capable.

I've had a shop build set of Easton Axis I've shot for a few years, and they group well. Also had a set of arrows from Day 6 that shot just as well.

It just seems nuts to me to spend $400 on a dozen "custom built" arrows with components online. Any suggestions? I plan to shoot my IW 125s again this year.

WKR
How precise do you need to be with your shooting? I have always built my own arrows and they fly well enough to the maximum distance I'd be willing to take a shot on game. If I practiced more and wanted to take on some really long range stuff out some 3D shoots, $400/doz might be worthwhile to me.

As a point of comparison, you can get a dozen ready-to-shoot 5mm Axis Match Grade (same shaft Iron Will is using) from Black Ovis for $236. Granted that's without collars, and I'm not sure what insert BO uses (a HIT or a POS half-out). If you're willing to go with a ±.003" or ±.006" shaft, you could save even more.
Screenshot_20230321_181111.jpg

IMO Iron Will and DCA arrows are way overpriced. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though...I was once told I'm so tight that it would take a 5 pound hammer to drive a 10 penny nail up my ass.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
As a point of comparison, you can get a dozen ready-to-shoot 5mm Axis Match Grade (same shaft Iron Will is using) from Black Ovis for $236. Granted that's without collars, and I'm not sure what insert BO uses (a HIT or a POS half-out). If you're willing to go with a ±.003" or ±.006" shaft, you could save even more.
View attachment 533353

IMO Iron Will and DCA arrows are way overpriced. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though...I was once told I'm so tight that it would take a 5 pound hammer to drive a 10 penny nail up my ass.
You happen to know if black ovis is squaring these shafts? Tried to call today but couldn't get it in before they closed.

You happen to know if black ovis is squaring these shafts? Tried to call today but couldn't get it in before they closed.
I have no idea. If they don't and that's a deal breaker, you could order them without inserts installed, square them yourself, then glue the inserts in yourself. A squaring tool is fairly cheap, and a homemade squaring jig is even cheaper.

• Banned
OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
I have no idea. If they don't and that's a deal breaker, you could order them without inserts installed, square them yourself, then glue the inserts in yourself. A squaring tool is fairly cheap, and a homemade squaring jig is even cheaper.
Thanks mm. My day six arrows weren't squared (that I know of) I dropped the inserts in, collars on and they shot touching groups at 20. Not sure it really matters much.

On the insert front, are the HITs and Collars worth it? Might save an arrow if hitting a bone on accident, but in reality, not the end of the world to ruin an arrow. Unless the claim is that arrow will now punch that bone with the collar on (not that that's good shot placement).

On the insert front, are the HITs and Collars worth it? Might save an arrow if hitting a bone on accident, but in reality, not the end of the world to ruin an arrow. Unless the claim is that arrow will now punch that bone with the collar on (not that that's good shot placement).
A HIT is my top insert choice for a 5mm/.204" arrow. I use the Easton version (either aluminum or brass, whichever gets me closer to my desired arrow weight). IMO a collar is unnecessary, and I'm too cheap to add another $6 per arrow for something that in all likelihood won't yield any benefit but will make it more difficult to pull my arrow out of a bag target.

How much is your time worth? Talley up cost of shafts, vanes, a fletch jig, etc, Doesn't take long to see how much guys are charging to assemble "custom" arrows.

I like to tinker with my gear, so don't mind building them. But also, moving parts break and humans make mistakes. Would rather have control over the process.

Also from Tim Gillinghams play book, 1/8th turn nock tune every bare shaft through paper before fletching. Almost garenteed to make a dozen arrows shoot more consistently, but takes alot of time, doubt you could even pay a shop to do that.

Reactions: 9.1
As above nock tuning will go a long ways towards consistency, seems like I always have 3-4 per dozen that are tough. I used to mark the stiff side but I still would have to nock tune before fletching. It takes a lot of time but it’s worth it to me before I fletch. Custom built won’t get you that unless you 4 fletch and then nock tune.

Custom built won’t get you that unless you 4 fletch and then nock tune.
You can still nock tune a 3 fletch arrow post-fletching. You just have one less nock indexing position and might end up with your odd-colored vanes in different positions (assuming you use multi-color fletching). I do all my nock tuning after fletching and use all same color vanes because I don't know beforehand which one will end up being the "cock" vane. After nock tuning, I mark the cock vane with a Sharpie.

You can still nock tune a 3 fletch arrow post-fletching. You just have one less nock indexing position and might end up with your odd-colored vanes in different positions (assuming you use multi-color fletching). I do all my nock tuning after fletching and use all same color vanes because I don't know beforehand which one will end up being the "cock" vane. After nock tuning, I mark the cock vane with a Sharpie.
Lol, my ocd won’t allow it! I seriously couldn’t put up with my vanes in an “off” position. Just me though.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was shooting 75lbs at almost 33" draw, I almost always use HIT's, and I've never used collars. I never really saw a need for them. I just haven't had enough issues to warrant even trying them. I've blown through bone, hit steel T posts, and continue to blow through grouse into rocks etc. I just haven't had many problems with broken or damaged arrows for the most part, and that's covering the last 17 years that I've been using .204" ID arrows. Heck, for the cost of some of these collars, you could just buy an extra 4-5 bare shafts for "if" you end up ruining an arrow.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Lol, my ocd won’t allow it! I seriously couldn’t put up with my vanes in an “off” position. Just me though.
I still always have one vane up and two down, unless using a 4-fletch. But even with one vane up, I have to turn them anyway for vane clearance with tall vanes.

OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
Concensus seem to be order the fletched arrows from black ovis...buy an arrow square tool for $50...glue in some HITs...Nock tune as good as I can with them fletched...and call it good

What others have said is correct and I agree! You can buy a fletching tool for $50 as well. I've used the Arizona EZ fletch for years. It''s $49 I believe. I have a blitz as well but it's more expensive. The problem I have with custom arrows from BO/DCA/IW or whomever online or the local bow shop is what happens when you tear a vane on that arrow? You need to replace it, but was it a helical/offset? Each fletching device does it slightly different when they offset/hecial. My local shop charges $1 per vane and sometimes won't do it the same day, not counting the time it takes to drive there and wait. Maybe it's a local shop problem...I also have to hope that the custom ordered arrow with helical/offset can be matched at the local shop. Even if i know the fletch jig and ordered a specific offset, i need my shop to have that same jig....Maybe this isn't a big deal to some, but I would rather have control of the process and also be able to repair it if needed. The custom arrows prepared for you "lock" you into that exact setup. I like the option to try something different vane wise or new helical/offset as well.

I've nock tuned and bare shaft tuned and had consistency as others have stated. It's hard to quantify how much better of a build those custom arrows are and how much that improves the flight of the arrow that I can notice when shooting. Not to mention how much money I'm paying for an increase I can't quantify.

OP
S

sacklunch

WKR
What others have said is correct and I agree! You can buy a fletching tool for $50 as well. I've used the Arizona EZ fletch for years. It''s $49 I believe. I have a blitz as well but it's more expensive. The problem I have with custom arrows from BO/DCA/IW or whomever online or the local bow shop is what happens when you tear a vane on that arrow? You need to replace it, but was it a helical/offset? Each fletching device does it slightly different when they offset/hecial. My local shop charges $1 per vane and sometimes won't do it the same day, not counting the time it takes to drive there and wait. Maybe it's a local shop problem...I also have to hope that the custom ordered arrow with helical/offset can be matched at the local shop. Even if i know the fletch jig and ordered a specific offset, i need my shop to have that same jig....Maybe this isn't a big deal to some, but I would rather have control of the process and also be able to repair it if needed. The custom arrows prepared for you "lock" you into that exact setup. I like the option to try something different vane wise or new helical/offset as well.

I've nock tuned and bare shaft tuned and had consistency as others have stated. It's hard to quantify how much better of a build those custom arrows are and how much that improves the flight of the arrow that I can notice when shooting. Not to mention how much money I'm paying for an increase I can't quantify.
Yup, agree 100%. The more I thought about it, the more I leaned towards just building my own.

LCA vane master on sale, G5 square tool, some 5mm Axis Match, tac driver vanes, HITs, beiter knocks, easton match field points, some hot glue and a primer pen/vane glue and I'm out the door at maybe $100 over what a dozen would cost me from a custom shop....and I can tinker with 3 vs 4 fletch, offset, etc. Sounded like the right call. Thanks to all for the inputs.

Zac

WKR
How much is your time worth? Talley up cost of shafts, vanes, a fletch jig, etc, Doesn't take long to see how much guys are charging to assemble "custom" arrows.

I like to tinker with my gear, so don't mind building them. But also, moving parts break and humans make mistakes. Would rather have control over the process.

Also from Tim Gillinghams play book, 1/8th turn nock tune every bare shaft through paper before fletching. Almost garenteed to make a dozen arrows shoot more consistently, but takes alot of time, doubt you could even pay a shop to do that.
Tim very rarely ever does this.