Current CPW commissioners promoting proposition 127 with lies.

WyoBC_99

FNG
#14 is the only one that matters and going from #13 to #14 is big leap. Is there anything to back that up besides wishful speculation?
You're right. It seems to me that #14 is actually two steps removed from #13.
First, does current hunting (which would go away) have a significant impact on mtn lion populations?
2nd, would that impact then change the potential impact of mtn lions on CWD?

There are a few published studies attempting to disentangle the potential impact of predators on CWD. Personally, I'm not sure that current hunting has a large impact on the mtn lion populations in CO.

To be clear, I wasn't speaking out in support of the hunt ban, but just trying to fill a perceived knowledge gap.

I know some folks in California where mtn lion hunting has already been banned, and it seems like not a path that we want to go down.

You're right. It seems to me that #14 is actually two steps removed from #13.
First, does current hunting (which would go away) have a significant impact on mtn lion populations?
2nd, would that impact then change the potential impact of mtn lions on CWD?

There are a few published studies attempting to disentangle the potential impact of predators on CWD. Personally, I'm not sure that current hunting has a large impact on the mtn lion populations in CO.

To be clear, I wasn't speaking out in support of the hunt ban, but just trying to fill a perceived knowledge gap.

I know some folks in California where mtn lion hunting has already been banned, and it seems like not a path that we want to go down.
The only study I could find said that hunting does have an effect on lion populations, which makes sense because that what makes hunting them a management tool. I’m not sure what the theoretical lion carrying capacity in CO is, but I’d expect the population to increase if hunting ceased.

But whether that’s right or not, an observed preference for weakened deer, such as by CWD, is not proof that lions will stop or slow the spread significantly.

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
I’d post this on all the western Facebook hunting groups. Colorado elk hunters is at 96.9k member’s. I’m sure there’s lots of residents in there. There’s also members in that group with the two names you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyoBC_99

FNG
The only study I could find said that hunting does have an effect on lion populations, which makes sense because that what makes hunting them a management tool. I’m not sure what the theoretical lion carrying capacity in CO is, but I’d expect the population to increase if hunting ceased.

But whether that’s right or not, an observed preference for weakened deer, such as by CWD, is not proof that lions will stop or slow the spread significantly.
I also wonder if hunting of mtn lions is a management tool because of some behavioral training of lions to show more fear of people. The pop'n abundance effect could also be true.

ODB

WKR
Is there any study as to why a lion or wolf’s digestive system kills prions but a humans does not?

WyoBC_99

FNG
@ODB

I don't think we know that a human's digestive tract does not have a similar effect on prions. It simply hasn't been studied. (unlikely that they're going to do a study where they feed lots of prions to human volunteers ... )

Here's a few pieces of info on the issue in felines.

mtn lions

bobcats (I don't think this has been published yet)

Reactions: ODB

jmez

WKR
@ODB

I don't think we know that a human's digestive tract does not have a similar effect on prions. It simply hasn't been studied. (unlikely that they're going to do a study where they feed lots of prions to human volunteers ... )

Here's a few pieces of info on the issue in felines.

mtn lions

bobcats (I don't think this has been published yet)
All that says is the prions are not passed in the feces, period. No other conclussions can be drawn.

Removal of prion-infected cervids by predators would be even more beneficial if consuming infected carcasses also reduced the abundance of prions left in the environment.

If the prions are simply sequestered in the predator, when the predator dies the above is not true.