Crowd Sourced Optics Comparison (CO area) ***Updated 3/9/24***

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
I could loan you my USAF resolution chart it is much much smaller than your homemade chart

Also after testing some spotting scopes I found the tripod is definitely a viable. Next time I'll use two of the same for side by side comparisons.

You can also rent optics if there's a high end model you can't beg borrow or steal for your comparison weekend.
Appreciate it. I will see if my work has an official chart. By smaller I’m assuming you mean the elements within are smaller? Or just higher resolution?

At that distance, at least with my chart, it still makes for good comparison. It’s obvious which can be seen I mean.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
I think choosing between 10 or 12's in the pures is completely subjective to how you glass. I think the 12's are incredible considering they have the same FOV as the EL 10x42.

However i chose the 10's after comparison because the FOV is even larger and find myself catching movement better because im covering a larger area when glassing off of a tripod. Im always packing a spotting scope so if i need to get a more detailed look, the big glass is coming out regardless what bino magnification. Thats just my opinion and preference.
Agree. I’m curious to see what 2x zoom buys. Because fov is still awesome and weight is close.

It would be “cool” to see the same element resolved at distance and/or sunset…..may steer me to 10s.

Last time I compared 8s, 10s, 12s, 18s. I found zoom was king. As example, great 10s were still barely bested by crappy 12x in center resolution (edge to edge and other stuff suffered).

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
I'd love to see the little Athlon spotter thrown in as a dark-horse. I've used the Cabela's version over the last year and have been pleased.

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
Best sloper here, but I would like to see the Kowa 500. its cheap and almost a pound lighter than 554, It differentiates stick from shed in daylight well and has saved me 100s of miles packing while weighing next to nothing. I would love to hear the real world difference between 554 and 500/501, other than weight

ToolMann

WKR
If I come I'm going to try to bring my accountant (wife) so she can see the differences and approve more funds ;)

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
I'd love to see the little Athlon spotter thrown in as a dark-horse. I've used the Cabela's version over the last year and have been pleased.
Me too. I really liked the Gen I Area (if that’s what you are referring to). It gained some weight in Gen II and most say didn’t improve optically much.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Appreciate it. I will see if my work has an official chart. By smaller I’m assuming you mean the elements within are smaller? Or just higher resolution?

At that distance, at least with my chart, it still makes for good comparison. It’s obvious which can be seen I mean.
Yes the elements go so small you can't read them with the naked eye but of course was the standard the US Air Force used to test resolution
11aaf84999450d2ecd595a2ca32edef2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ShakeDown

WKR
I’m in Castle Rock and pending schedules would be up for helping out.

I have:

8x42 EL TAs
8x56 Meostars
10x42 SLCc
15x56 SLCs
Kowa 554
STX 95mm

CorbLand

WKR
I could potentially lend a pair of EDG 10X42s. I would have to see if my wife’s grandpa is done with them.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I’d like to hear preferences between straight and angled spotters (e.g., 773 vs 774). Can send you my EL Range TA 10x42 if needed.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
I have a kowa 774. But looks like you have a 773 available. Also have kowa genesis 10.5x44 binoculars I you are testing binos.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I'll play, I have a kowa 883, but even better I have a flexible schedule, a stool, and a good tripod. I can probably get Maven's new S3 for a month loaner to compare to the Kowa 66.

@Tahoe1305 this would be a really good review query to submit to @robby denning.

@TheViking @feanor @30338 are all south metro and @Ucsdryder will sometimes come down from Commerce City if there are snacks and juice promised.
I have a kowa 884 and ZEISS rf10x42. I think tripods might be the next most important thing. Heavy duty tripods seem to make a huge difference in perceived glass quality. @IrkedCitizen has some good stuff too!

We might be able to add a rangefinding bino category or just compare the glass to non-ranging binos. It’ll hold its own. 😜

I have a kowa 884 and ZEISS rf10x42. I think tripods might be the next most important thing. Heavy duty tripods seem to make a huge difference in perceived glass quality. @IrkedCitizen has some good stuff too!

We might be able to add a rangefinding bino category or just compare the glass to non-ranging binos. It’ll hold its own. 😜
I've got some stuff. Nothing crazy.

STS65 HD 25-50
STS65 NONHD 20-60
Zeiss Victory Gen 1 RF binos 8x56 and 10x56
RRS TFC-34L
RRS TVC-34L
RRS BH-55LR
Tricer LP
RRS Cinch Elites

I might be able to make it depending on schedule. My stuff is pretty redundant but if there are lots of people maybe that is ok.

EL 12x50
Kowa 553
Silk 634