Crowd Sourced Optics Comparison (CO area) ***Updated 3/9/24***

bdloftin

FNG
After looking through all the options Saturday , I came to the conclusion that I really like my NL10s And don’t miss my NL 12s. I’ll hang onto my Meopta S2 even though I think the Kowa 88 of sandman’s is a better spotter. The Kowa 66 impressed me along with the atc. I think I’ll put $ aside and pick up a compact spotter, Swaro or a Kowa.
How much better was the 88 vs the S2? What were the main differences?

JGRaider

WKR
Tahoe, this is doing it the right way IMO.....being able to personally see and use the various glass is the only way to fly. You see and find out things that there's otherwise no way you'd know without actual use. Kudos to you guys, and thanks for the report. Good stuff.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
In my opinion, the difference is small. The 88 seemed more precise on the focus. The price difference and my use wouldn't justify the price increase.
I’m personally such a big fan of the two wheel focus mechanism over the barrel like he says.

The only barrel focus I think comes close to the “smoothness” and ability to fine focus that I have touched (admittedly missed the S2), is the ATC. It is very smooth for a barrel.

I think that’s the reason I like my Gen I Razor so much and bias towards kowas. I will say the barrel focus do pack a bit better and I’m always worried I’m going to bind/break the knob focusers in the pack (hasn’t happened though).

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Got my Tricer head today and bino bandit. Good kit for sure. Weight was 4.3oz! And it’s smooth.

For those waiting, I’m just waiting to hear back from Robby and the gang on best way to push the info out.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
So the final article is officially off with the editing crew. I feel bad it is taking a bit longer than I anticipated (on me solely) and mentioned to a handful of folks in various threads on here and LRH about the comparison, so I attached the data compilation worksheet as a "teaser" for the final read out. It will be a bit tough to digest without the words behind it and I will ask folks to maybe hold any questions or spears till the article comes out. Sounds like we will have a Q&A thread to go with it and that will be the better venue for those. Hopefully in the interim this may help some folks decision making.

Attachments

• Glass Comparision Worksheet.pdf
    167.7 KB · Views: 44

Imaguy3

FNG
Hello all, I've been lurking here following this for awhile as I have the Razor gen 1 16-48 spotter and have been contemplating downsizing to the new mini razor. Just looking at that chart it only complicates matters lol.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Hello all, I've been lurking here following this for awhile as I have the Razor gen 1 16-48 spotter and have been contemplating downsizing to the new mini razor. Just looking at that chart it only complicates matters lol.
So I’m going to chat about that in the article, but be careful with assuming because that razor performed that well all will. I was surprised too. I have also been impressed with my old Gen I razor. I think the bigger companies lack QC measures and at times they release less than optimal performing optics which is why they get such a bad wrap. That one was solid though and as of now I don’t plan to sell.

It’s a bummer no one else looked through it. I was hoping someone would further validate my thoughts on it.

Fwiw the ATC was still better than it in pretty much every measure but weight. Most items a bit harder to quantify like smoothness of focus/zoom, color, etc.

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m going to chat about that in the article, but be careful with assuming because that razor performed that well all will. I was surprised too. I have also been impressed with my old Gen I razor. I think the bigger companies lack QC measures and at times they release less than optimal performing optics which is why they get such a bad wrap. That one was solid though and as of now I don’t plan to sell.

What year is the gen 1 razor in this test from?

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
I actually have no clue. Is there a way to tell? I bought it used 4 years back.

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
I actually have no clue. Is there a way to tell? I bought it used 4 years back.

I’m not 100% sure. I’ve just heard that in 2018 vortex switched from being made in Japan to being made in China which would typically correlate to lower quality glass.

ShakeDown

WKR
I spent most of my time looking through the little Kowa, ATC and the new little Vortex.

The Vortex was impressive but I agree, it may have been a good specimen. The focus knob was horrid. Image was surprisingly good!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Great write up! In the same boat as you as wanting to transition to owning and using primarily the 12x42 NL and atc… it does get kind of tough justifying those jumps in price but as a do it all “weight weenie” optic set I think it is really hard to beat

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Any info on the Amazon adapter on the spotters used for the test?

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Alright. Time to downsize all those spotters/binos I acquired for the test.

Things on the chopping block for the time being:

-Swaro 12x50 EL w/stud
-Swaro STM (rare magnesium model) 25-50

Not super pressed to sell and may wait till late summer, but if anyone is searching for an upgrade let me know. May have a few others. ATC on its way back to Robby.

I’ll have formal ads in the optics WTS forum with pictures shortly.

Last edited: