Crossbow choice

Im looking and researching. I have learned im pretty limited in NY in my choices. I have been leaning towards scorpyd aculeus. Anyone have experience with Scorpyd and pros or cons? I would think the reverse draw is a big advantage with balance and feel but have only ever shot one crossbow.

CRJR45

WKR
Maybe ask here , a good site with lots of helpful people .

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
I have a ravin r29 and an older excalibur 355 matrix. Both are good but I know that Excalibur's customer service is great from experience. The ravin is a great crossbow so far.

Brendan

WKR
I've never had one until this year. And, I've been a little bit of a crossbow hater to be honest. But, injured my shoulder in May and haven't been able to pick up a bow since then, and I'm seeing an ortho about the rotator cuff tomorrow (bow arm), so if I wanted to get out at all during the archery seasons in the Northeast (even the limited areas I legally can) I needed a crossbow. If I need surgery, I'm probably out for next season too if not permanently.

I went with a new tenpoint nitro. Very fast, very accurate. But in a lot of ways, these things are a pain in the A**. Heavy. Slow to cock with the crank so you have to have it ready to go. Much louder at the shot than my bow. All fine if you're sitting in a stand, but if I was going to use it on the ground chasing Elk or something like that, I'd be looking for the lightest setup I could find and something that's a lot faster to get cocked than the crank setup I have.

With that said, it's a laser. With the setup I have and a rest you're almost dealing with a rifle from 100 and in, although with the noise string jumping could definitely be an issue at longer range, although my setup is running ~475 fps so may not be an issue.

Last edited:
OP
B
Thank yo
Maybe ask here , a good site with lots of helpful people .

Thanks. I found them recently. Was jus looking for variety of opinions.

I bought an entry level Excalibur in the summer of 2011. Purchased primarily for getting an initial line into alligators, but I knew it would also double duty in the deer woods with really thick cover where sometimes deer aren’t seen until they are 10 yards out, thereby making drawing a little more difficult. Since then I’ve taken 22 alligators with it and 20 whitetail.

It has fallen overboard twice.

It has been dry fired (thanks, buddy!).

It has been frozen. It has Sat in blazing sun.

To date I have changed strings and oiled the trigger. That’s it.

Pros IMHO:
- Easy change string in field or traveling
- Super accurate and consistent POI over time
- Simple
- Obviously very little to break
- Can leave cocked all day (or night)

Cons
- Long limbs (on mine) but I’m in a boat with it cocked all the time, or in an open air tree stand of some sort
- Mine not super speedy but deer haven’t seemed to mind
- A but heavy

Suffice it to say, I’ve been very pleased, but I’m also not a latest and greatest kinda guy. I like things that work right out of the box and don’t slow me down with unforeseen required repairs or maintenance. Currently own pretty much ONE of every weapon out there and that’s it. None of them particularly fancy. All see a lot of field time. Virtually 0 maintenance.

CRJR45

WKR
It's pretty much a Ford vs Chevy question . I own two Ten Points , a ten year old Titan Extreme and I bought a M370 (technically a Wicked Ridge) last year . They both work flawlessly still .
In fact , I shot an Elk two weeks ago with the M370 . Ten Point stands behind their product and makes a good bow . There are a lot of bows that have good points and bad points .
But , as in all things , you get what you pay for . Do you want a Chevy or a Lamborghini , you know ?

I have a scorpyd ds420.
It's easy to work on without tools.
Accurate.
Fast.
Drama free.
Those were important to me. When I was looking.

The Ravin's and other brands were not.

Deldave

FNG
New York has some odd rules for crossbow hunting.
I believe the Scorpyd Aculeus does meet their requirements, and is extremely well made. The trigger is excellent as well.

OP
B
I've never had one until this year. And, I've been a little bit of a crossbow hater to be honest. But, injured my shoulder in May and haven't been able to pick up a bow since then, and I'm seeing an ortho about the rotator cuff tomorrow (bow arm), so if I wanted to get out at all during the archery seasons in the Northeast (even the limited areas I legally can) I needed a crossbow. If I need surgery, I'm probably out for next season too if not permanently.

I went with a new tenpoint nitro. Very fast, very accurate. But in a lot of ways, these things are a pain in the A**. Heavy. Slow to cock with the crank so you have to have it ready to go. Much louder at the shot than my bow. All fine if you're sitting in a stand, but if I was going to use it on the ground chasing Elk or something like that, I'd be looking for the lightest setup I could find and something that's a lot faster to get cocked than the crank setup I have.

With that said, it's a laser. With the setup I have and a rest you're almost dealing with a rifle from 100 and in, although with the noise string jumping could definitely be an issue at longer range, although my setup is running ~475 fps so may not be an issue.
Thanks . I have been a hater as well. Age , injuries and time can changes priorities. I appreciated all the negatives.

RS3579

WKR
I have a Excalibur micro and have never had any issues with it. Good luck

CRJR45

WKR
OK , I looked at it , but what exactly are New York's rules that limit your choices of CB's ? I guess I missed the point of your question , sorry .

Brendan

WKR
It's pretty much a Ford vs Chevy question . I own two Ten Points , a ten year old Titan Extreme and I bought a M370 (technically a Wicked Ridge) last year . They both work flawlessly still .
In fact , I shot an Elk two weeks ago with the M370 . Ten Point stands behind their product and makes a good bow . There are a lot of bows that have good points and bad points .
But , as in all things , you get what you pay for . Do you want a Chevy or a Lamborghini , you know ?

How do you like the M370 for Elk? As in, if you have to carry it around all day for a week or 10 days? Is it what you'd choose for that task doing it all over again?

I have a feeling it's the same dilemma with rifles. I have a 10# 300 Win Mag that's a joy to shoot, and a 6# Kimber Adirondack that's a joy to carry....

*zap*

WKR
I bought an entry level Excalibur in the summer of 2011. Purchased primarily for getting an initial line into alligators, but I knew it would also double duty in the deer woods with really thick cover where sometimes deer aren’t seen until they are 10 yards out, thereby making drawing a little more difficult. Since then I’ve taken 22 alligators with it and 20 whitetail.

It has fallen overboard twice.

It has been dry fired (thanks, buddy!).

It has been frozen. It has Sat in blazing sun.

To date I have changed strings and oiled the trigger. That’s it.

Pros IMHO:
- Easy change string in field or traveling
- Super accurate and consistent POI over time
- Simple
- Obviously very little to break
- Can leave cocked all day (or night)

Cons
- Long limbs (on mine) but I’m in a boat with it cocked all the time, or in an open air tree stand of some sort
- Mine not super speedy but deer haven’t seemed to mind
- A but heavy

Suffice it to say, I’ve been very pleased, but I’m also not a latest and greatest kinda guy. I like things that work right out of the box and don’t slow me down with unforeseen required repairs or maintenance. Currently own pretty much ONE of every weapon out there and that’s it. None of them particularly fancy. All see a lot of field time. Virtually 0 maintenance.
I have had an excal exomax for over 10 years, no issues other than it is big. Hard to carry but I made a sling that allows me to carry it with the limbs horizontal while I hold the sling with one hand....huge difference for the better.

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
I bought my 1st crossbow recently, a Tenpoint Vapor 470. Brendan's comments are spot on. It's heavy and slow to cock. Most of the other crossbows I looked at were heavy also, and not as well ballanced as the Tenpoint/Wicked Ridge models with the reverse draw design. TP warns not to still hunt with it (loaded with an arrow). It's too heavy for me to do that with it anyway. I do like the way the crank system works even if it is slow, it is safe and easy. It is accurate and fast.

CRJR45

WKR
How do you like the M370 for Elk? As in, if you have to carry it around all day for a week or 10 days? Is it what you'd choose for that task doing it all over again?

I have a feeling it's the same dilemma with rifles. I have a 10# 300 Win Mag that's a joy to shoot, and a 6# Kimber Adirondack that's a joy to carry....
Funny you ask that , or your example anyway . I'm looking at buying a Proof Elevation and getting rid of two Savage 7mm rem mags that both weigh ten lbs each .

As far as the M370 for Elk , I bought it for deer , and to be truthful , a little faster arrow speed would be beneficial . The Elk I shot turned just as I shot , not sure if it jumped the string or was turning anyway , but the arrow went through a rib , the liver , one lung and the heart , then out the other side of the rib cage lodging in the shoulder . So , plenty of power , with a 505 gr arrow , but maybe more speed would've helped ?
As far as carrying it all day , I used a sling from tenpoint and it really wasn't a problem , but I used a fanny pack and not a full pack , so that might factor in ?
I would take the M370 on another Elk hunt no problem , rather than have a bow just for Elk .

OP
B
OK , I looked at it , but what exactly are New York's rules that limit your choices of CB's ? I guess I missed the point of your question , sorry .
  • Minimum limb width:17 inches (outer tip of limbs, excluding wheels and cams, uncocked)
    • Minimum peak draw weight: 100 pounds
    • Maximum peak draw weight: 200 pounds.
  • Minimum overall length: 24 inches from butt-stock to front of limbs.