Critique my Sleep System

Dirtbag

WKR
All, After lurking on this site I've decided to change up my sleeping arrangement by going to a quilt rather than a bag. I'm a stomach sleeper and think I will end up getting much better sleep in a quilt but the only experience I have is what I could come up with the search function on here. Below is what I think I will be packing a couple miles to elk camp at around 10,500' the third week of September. We will make camp and hunt from it each day. I understand I could go lighter with bringing up just the foot print and rain fly with a bivy, but last years constant snow and rain has ruled that out. Will the 20 degree keep me warm enough? I would love to upgrade to the 850 downtek as well as upgrade to an Xtherm but the new Carbon Spyder turbo, boots, and pack has really eaten up the funding. What do you think? Anything I'm over looking?

MSR Hubba Hubba NX-3.7lbs 7oz

EE Revelation 20 degree 750 down regular-weight? (to be ordered)

Thermarest zlite-14 oz

Thermarest pillow-14oz

eltaco

WKR
You can take a look at a Hammock Gear Burrow 20 quilt, you might find that you can get into 850 treated down more reasonably than you thought.

I also just picked up an xtherm at 25% off at Mountain Gear. You could get an XLite for the same discount if that suits you better. Think that sale runs thru the 28th.

I plan to use my setup in CO at similar elevation. I opted for an ounce of overfill, but not certain it'll be necessary.

If you're looking to lighten things up, I'd dump the pillow. You can use just about any kind of sack that you'll already have, like a small dry bag, or game bag, etc. and just stuff clothes in it to make a pillow. Also check out Backpackinglight for deals. Never know, something might pop up that's just what you need/want for a good deal.

If you're looking to lighten things up, I'd dump the pillow. You can use just about any kind of sack that you'll already have, like a small dry bag, or game bag, etc. and just stuff clothes in it to make a pillow. Also check out Backpackinglight for deals. Never know, something might pop up that's just what you need/want for a good deal.

I agree ditch the pillow for sure. if your hellbent on having one, the exped air pillow is only 2oz and oh so comfy.

I'm a stomach sleeper and my katabatic gear quilt has changed my life. I love it so much more then a traditional bag. I have an exped inflatable pillow that is way lighter then 14 oz.

eltaco

WKR
My cacoon pillow comes in at 3oz and is very comfy. I get horrible neck pains if I sleep without a pillow. I try to save weight where possible, but honestly a good night of rest is SSOOOOO much more important to me than saving a pound of pack weight.

OP
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

WKR
My cacoon pillow comes in at 3oz and is very comfy. I get horrible neck pains if I sleep without a pillow. I try to save weight where possible, but honestly a good night of rest is SSOOOOO much more important to me than saving a pound of pack weight.
In the same boat as you are. I can tolerate a little less comfort in other places but wont be without a pillow.

Have you slept on a z lite before?

I have. Great pad? no. Paid for? yes. Do you have any other affordable suggestions? I'm certainly open to them. I get a great discount through work on gear but still have a tough time spending cash on something so "simple".

Thanks all for the help. Like I said, I will be ditching the sleep gear once camp is set so I wont be carrying it around, so weight isnt a huge concern on this trip but I will take weight savings tips anytime I can get them. Anyone have opinions on the quilt? will it be suitable? how small will it pack down?

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
In the same boat as you are. I can tolerate a little less comfort in other places but wont be without a pillow.

I have. Great pad? no. Paid for? yes. Do you have any other affordable suggestions? I'm certainly open to them. I get a great discount through work on gear but still have a tough time spending cash on something so "simple".

Thanks all for the help. Like I said, I will be ditching the sleep gear once camp is set so I wont be carrying it around, so weight isnt a huge concern on this trip but I will take weight savings tips anytime I can get them. Anyone have opinions on the quilt? will it be suitable? how small will it pack down?

I suffered through a Z lite last year. Believe me when I tell you the weight and investment penalty is worth it to upgrade. I slept so poorly by the 3rd night I was napping in the middle if the day. You must pick your tent location VERY carefully and pray for warm weather. I took it on a late season trip with a 30 degree bag..... Temps dropped to high 20s and I didn't sleep a wink. I suffered the whole next day .

I convinced myself that the Z lite was adequate because I wanted to upgrade my bow. Without a solid nights sleep all that money you spent of that new bow will go to waste. If I had to do it all over I would focus on sleep and nutrition first and wouldn't have bought a fully outfitted Hoyt Spyder.

69ChrisCraft

Lil-Rokslider
That being said, my brother is a stomach sleeper and while I'll be on a Big Agnes Q Core SL (side sleeper) he will use the Z lite in tandem with a lightweight yoga mat we cut in half. The two halves will serve as our butt pads for glassing during the day.

Stay away from dense, moist soil or rock with that Z lite in cold weather. The night I nearly froze was on the sandy shore of a lake. Damn what a miserable night.

OP
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

WKR
Right on guys, thanks for the help. I'm thinking I will upgrade my pad now and get an xtherm. May as well at this point. am I gonna be good with the 20* quilt?

littlebuf

Banned
Good choice. I run a quilt and a neo xlite. If you sleep warm like me it's just fine with a quilt. I've run. That set up directly o. Snow and been good . That being said the xtherm is a hell of a pad also

Scratch that z-lite. If your using a quilt you need some R-value under you. Go with either the Xlite or the X-therm, or there's others like Big Agness Q-Core SL, or a Exped mattress. Ive been using a quilt for a little over two years now and your relying on the R-value of your pad to keep you warm on the underside.

OP
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

WKR
Sweet, so I'll go ahead and upgrade to a Xtherm. Should I stick with ordering a 20 degree or go down to a 10?

_Nick_

WKR
Sweet, so I'll go ahead and upgrade to a Xtherm. Should I stick with ordering a 20 degree or go down to a 10?

I don't do many sub-freezing nights, so take this with a grain of salt. But, I found that my Xtherm dramatically increased the warmth of my overall sleeping system. I was cold around freezing in my 35 degree WM Highlite before, now I'm quite comfortable at the same temps. Maybe someone can chime in that spends more time at 10K+ elevation.

I'd heartily recommend the Xtherm, though for the combination of low weight, comfort, and warmth.

I use a Xtherm and a 10 degree EE Enigma, and so far it's been too warm. But go figure, I haven't used it in temps below 35 degrees yet. :) Hopefully I will see temps below freezing on my next hunt. I have no doubt that I will be comfortable in it down into the single digits, and possibly below 0, as I tend to be a bit of a warm sleeper.

6x6

FNG
As others have mentioned, I went with a quilt from Katabatic Gear last year, and I will probably never use a standard sleeping bag again. I am a stomach sleeper, and that thing stays right where it needs to be. I have an expex pad (synmat UL7), and I just use a stuff sack as a pillow. Great system for me the last two seasons.

I use a Xtherm & a 30* EE (800 down) quilt and have slept down to the low 20's in wonderful comfort. The pad allows me to use a higher degree quilt, saving some more weight. So if you upgrade, I don't think you'll need to go down to a 10* quilt. If you're cold wear your long underwear...