Critique my new arrow setup

Been wanting to get back into bowhunting, dropped the bow off at the shop for a new string yesterday. I enjoy handloading for my rifles and want to try building my own arrows. Wanting a simple, do everything, 50 state legal set up, in the 500-550gr range.
Bow specs:
2015 PSE Decree, IBO 355
70 pounds, 29 inch draw.

Arrow parts list:
Easton Axis Pro 5mm, 300 spine @29.75
3 Blazer vanes
Blazer wrap
Easton x nock
75gr brass insert
125 QAD exodus full blade

Running the numbers in the calculators gives me 544 grains with 14.5% FOC. Should be in the 270-280fps range.
Anything I should change?

Gumbo

WKR
According to John Dudley's spine chart for those specific arrows and inserts you will be on the edge of the 300 spine. He lists 29" at your draw weight as 300/260 spine and I'd guess the extra 0.75" and 125gr point would make the 260 a better choice.

Gumbo

WKR
I've never been a fan of X nocks, but I love the Bohning A nocks which fit those arrows. The A nocks "snap" onto the string, whereas the X nocks just mash their way on.

My X nocks snap on, I can hear it. My guess is that string/serving diameter has a lot to do with how they go on.

Last year I used a similar arrow setup, the 300’s but with 50 brains of brass and 100grain head, witha 4 fletch max stealth on the back. I was shoot 70 pounds at 30 inch’s, I never got them
Into an animal but I noticed they’d consistently Barry deeper into 3d targets then anyone else and they flew great out to distance, I believe it was my shooting ability that would be what help them back out past 60-70 yards. That being said I switched to 260’s and a 125 point this year and like it a little bit more so far but I wouldn’t go dropping $200 on new arrows to do it. I think yours will be plenty good in my opinion

OP
CApighunter
According to John Dudley's spine chart for those specific arrows and inserts you will be on the edge of the 300 spine. He lists 29" at your draw weight as 300/260 spine and I'd guess the extra 0.75" and 125gr point would make the 260 a better choice.
I saw that I’m kind of right on the edge between the two spine ratings, wasn’t sure if that would make it too stiff or not. Haven’t ordered any components yet. Thanks for the input, I’ll look into it further!

OP
CApighunter
Last year I used a similar arrow setup, the 300’s but with 50 brains of brass and 100grain head, witha 4 fletch max stealth on the back. I was shoot 70 pounds at 30 inch’s, I never got them
Into an animal but I noticed they’d consistently Barry deeper into 3d targets then anyone else and they flew great out to distance, I believe it was my shooting ability that would be what help them back out past 60-70 yards. That being said I switched to 260’s and a 125 point this year and like it a little bit more so far but I wouldn’t go dropping $200 on new arrows to do it. I think yours will be plenty good in my opinion
Good to know, thanks! Haven’t pulled the trigger on the components yet so I can go with the 260s no problem if that’ll be better suited.

Definitely better with a 260 spine. I haven't found the full blade Exodus to be very forgiving.

Also might play with different vanes. I have found the blazers to be loud and you give up some clearance over a shorter 3" vane. Just things you might play with. Once you find something you can set it and leave it.

Last edited:

nphunter

WKR
Been wanting to get back into bowhunting, dropped the bow off at the shop for a new string yesterday. I enjoy handloading for my rifles and want to try building my own arrows. Wanting a simple, do everything, 50 state legal set up, in the 500-550gr range.
Bow specs:
2015 PSE Decree, IBO 355
70 pounds, 29 inch draw.

Arrow parts list:
Easton Axis Pro 5mm, 300 spine @29.75
3 Blazer vanes
Blazer wrap
Easton x nock
75gr brass insert
125 QAD exodus full blade

Running the numbers in the calculators gives me 544 grains with 14.5% FOC. Should be in the 270-280fps range.
Anything I should change?

When I run them i come up with 550gr and 13.8% that isn’t counting the weight of glue either. If you end up going 260’s you will be around 575 and 13.2%.

Not sure what your after, even dropping to a 100gr head you will be plenty heavy at 525 and still have 12% FOC and a wicked arrow with no spine issues.

If your looking for higher FOC you can build a Victory RIP TKO 250, put a 75gr HIT, x nock, Iron Will footer 25gr. Use a 125gr and come in at 521gr and 16.8% FOC. You could even use a 150gr VPA head and be 546gr with 18.2%.

Lots of options out there for good durable setups. I built the RIP TKO 250’s mentioned above and am shooting 100gr head. They have been bomb proof so far. I’m right at 480gr and 16% FOC. I’m shooting 77lbs and dead centered a rock with one, I ruined the footer but it totally saved the arrow!

nphunter

WKR
Definitely better with a 260 spine. I haven't found the full blade Exodus to be very forgiving.

Also might play with different vanes. I have found the blazers to be loud and you give up some clearance over a shorter 3" vane. Just things you might play with. Once you find something you can set it and leave it.

I totally agree with both of these points. I had horrible luck with the full blade exodus. I’m also not a fan of blazers. Lots of good options to play with, I shot low profile 3” for a while. This year I’m shooting 6 very small PM 2.0 vanes.

OP
CApighunter

Not dead set on the exodus heads but they’ve shot well for me in the past in 100 grain with a lighter arrow. Totally open to other suggestions as far as head and vanes.

OP
CApighunter
When I run them i come up with 550gr and 13.8% that isn’t counting the weight of glue either. If you end up going 260’s you will be around 575 and 13.2%.

Not sure what your after, even dropping to a 100gr head you will be plenty heavy at 525 and still have 12% FOC and a wicked arrow with no spine issues.

If your looking for higher FOC you can build a Victory RIP TKO 250, put a 75gr HIT, x nock, Iron Will footer 25gr. Use a 125gr and come in at 521gr and 16.8% FOC. You could even use a 150gr VPA head and be 546gr with 18.2%.

Lots of options out there for good durable setups. I built the RIP TKO 250’s mentioned above and am shooting 100gr head. They have been bomb proof so far. I’m right at 480gr and 16% FOC. I’m shooting 77lbs and dead centered a rock with one, I ruined the footer but it totally saved the arrow!
I’ll have to check that out, not sure I want to push above 550. That 521gr with the TKOs looks like a solid set up. Pretty much what I’m shooting for. Thanks!

Gumbo

WKR
If you are considering other shafts, I have been running 0.001 Black Eagle Rampages for 3+ years w/ 75 gr HITs, X-nocks and 100 gr points. I run Vanetec VMax 2.5" vanes 4-fletch with Bitz (maybe 2-3) right helical w/o a wrap. I'm 28" draw, 70 lbs, and using 300 spine. They fly great for me and tolerances are spectacular, in fact I'm fletching another dozen right now...

Have you shot a heavy arrow before? I keep playing with things but I haven't found an advantage to an arrow over 500 grains in my shooting.

If you can go to a shop and buy a few arrows I'd try that. Setup 3 and try shooting them for a while. You might love it or you might not.

I have top hat points in 150, 175, 200, & 225 that I play with on the front of arrows. If you hotmelt your inserts for a little while you can play with the point weight to determine what you want to run in terms of an insert/ point combination.

I love the Easton axis 5mm shafts, I have ventured around other arrows and always come back to them. Biggest complaint I had was mushrooming the end of the arrows after hard hits or repetitive target practice. I purchased some footers this year from Elk River Archery and I feel they have added all sorts of strength to my arrows. I intentionally shot some steel targets when I first got them and had no shaft or insert damage, the field points were trashed but that was expected. I believe Iron Will makes some as well but cost quite a bit more, there are also some places online your could order the pipe and make yourself or can even use Easton aluminum arrow sections cut down.

OP
CApighunter
Have you shot a heavy arrow before? I keep playing with things but I haven't found an advantage to an arrow over 500 grains in my shooting.

If you can go to a shop and buy a few arrows I'd try that. Setup 3 and try shooting them for a while. You might love it or you might not.

I have top hat points in 150, 175, 200, & 225 that I play with on the front of arrows. If you hotmelt your inserts for a little while you can play with the point weight to determine what you want to run in terms of an insert/ point combination.
I have not, always shot a pretty light arrow, 300 spine beaman ics hunter with 100 gr heads and no added weight.