Critique my keeping it light-ish on a budget

I get a discount on Big agnes so I was leaning on a couple things from there for that reason, but for the tent/pad/bag combo what I was looking at is:

Big Agnes Copper Spur platinum 2
Thermarest neoair xlite
Big Agnes torchlight UL20

For the price/weight of these, does anyone have different recommendations for keeping it lighter in the same price range/quality of product? Or is this pretty solid?

Instead of the tent get one of the new BA UL tipi tarps? They look sweet!
Don’t need the tent mesh for most western hunts & you’ll save a lot of weight without tent poles

OP
T
Instead of the tent get one of the new BA UL tipi tarps? They look sweet!
Don’t need the tent mesh for most western hunts & you’ll save a lot of weight without tent poles
Winds up roughly same weight or even heavier if you add footprint or mesh to it ever and packs bigger

Copper spur is a hell of a tent. Slept a few nights in one I borrowed from a buddy. It was my runner up but I ended going dyneem bc I found a lightly used one for a good price. If I could get the platinum on a discount, I would go for it.

Not sure what year mine is, but my neoair x lite crinkles like a candy wrapper in church. I sleep hard so it doesn’t really bother me, but I have had camp mates +10 feet away make comments. I switched to a sea to summit ether light pad. It is 4 inches thick. Not light weight but not obscene. Have not used any of my other pads since.

OP
T
Copper spur is a hell of a tent. Slept a few nights in one I borrowed from a buddy. It was my runner up but I ended going dyneem bc I found a lightly used one for a good price. If I could get the platinum on a discount, I would go for it.

Not sure what year mine is, but my neoair x lite crinkles like a candy wrapper in church. I sleep hard so it doesn’t really bother me, but I have had camp mates +10 feet away make comments. I switched to a sea to summit ether light pad. It is 4 inches thick. Not light weight but not obscene. Have not used any of my other pads since.
How is the sea to summit for warmth? The R value is way lower than the thermarest, what has your experience been?

Winds up roughly same weight or even heavier if you add footprint or mesh to it ever and packs bigger
I don’t know the specs for the new UL tarps but you don’t need mesh or footprint. Just some tyvek or polycro under your pad. The tipis are very weatherproof & I’m a big fan.

I just don’t see a one layer tipi being heavier than a tent with mesh and poles.

OP
T
I don’t know the specs for the new UL tarps but you don’t need mesh or footprint. Just some tyvek or polycro under your pad. The tipis are very weatherproof & I’m a big fan.

I just don’t see a one layer tipi being heavier than a tent with mesh and poles.
I would’ve thought the same but when I looked up the specs…

Gold camp UL3 tarp is 2lbs 11oz, if you add net it’s another 29oz and tarp is 9oz and just the tarp packs the same size as the whole copper spur

Copper spur platinum is 2lbs 10oz and it already has the net in case I use the tent elsewhere where I would want/need it

Seems odd

Lando

WKR
The Copper Spur is a great tent and the xlite is great pad. My advice on pads is get long wide every time.

For the money they want for the torchlight, I'd look into a Zenbivy or a custom quilt.

Last edited:

fatlander

WKR
Have you looked at other options like the seek silex, six moons lunar solo, or hyperlite mountain gear?I think you can get the same space (or more) in a lighter and cheaper package.

If you’ve never slept on a neo air xlite, go try it out beside other high end pads. They’re loud. Nemo Tensor and Sea to Summit Ether lite are better options in my opinion.

If you take your time to hunt for a deal, you can get a feathered friends or WM bag. Then you can be done searching for the best. They’re the best. With the money you’d save going with a different tent, you’d be about even with what you were originally planning on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Have you looked at other options like the seek silex, six moons lunar solo, or hyperlite mountain gear?I think you can get the same space (or more) in a lighter and cheaper package.

If you’ve never slept on a neo air xlite, go try it out beside other high end pads. They’re loud. Nemo Tensor and Sea to Summit Ether lite are better options in my opinion.

If you take your time to hunt for a deal, you can get a feathered friends or WM bag. Then you can be done searching for the best. They’re the best. With the money you’d save going with a different tent, you’d be about even with what you were originally planning on.

I’ll look at those, thank you. For the price I got the torchlight 20 it’s hard to justify another 300 ish dollars to only save 6-8 oz, but maybe one day

How is the sea to summit for warmth? The R value is way lower than the thermarest, what has your experience been?
I have used it well below freezing and it is fine. I tend to pair with a matty mcmattface pad as a ground cloth.

fatlander

WKR
I’ll look at those, thank you. For the price I got the torchlight 20 it’s hard to justify another 300 ish dollars to only save 6-8 oz, but maybe one day

Completely understand, I was under the impression you hadn’t yet purchased. I’ve been down the cheaper bag route. In hind sight, it would have been cheaper to just buy a WM or FF. I picked up my megalite under 400 bucks. The deals are out there if you’ve got time to find them.

fatlander

WKR

Completely understand, I was under the impression you hadn’t yet purchased. I’ve been down the cheaper bag route. In hind sight, it would have been cheaper to just buy a WM or FF. I picked up my megalite under 400 bucks. The deals are out there if you’ve got time to find them.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
The Copper Spur is a great tent and the xlite is great pad. My advice on pads is get long wide every time.

For the money they want for the torchlight, I'd look into a Zenbivy or a custom quilt.
I see it the same way. Good on the first two - then get an Enlightened Equipment or other high-quality quilt for that money.