Crispi vs Salomon

BKhunter

WKR
Hey All,

I have usually run Salomon boots which I liked but they are reaching their end. I have been looking at the Crispi Nevadas and wanted to know if anyone has run both and which they prefer, pros/cons of each compare to the other. I usually wear a 10.5 boot so was wondering if sizing is the same. I'm going on an elk hunt in Montana mid September so that will be a use case along with white tail hunting in NY early season and hiking.

BK

I had to replace my usual boots last fall and looked at various brands and also the sizing for each. Nothing new but what helped me decide on what size to order was looking not only at the US size guide but also what size they are on their Euro size guide which IMHO makes it more easy to select the right size between different brands.

So on looking at the Salomom sizing guide, they say their 10.5 US is a 44 2/3 Euro?? Thats a little odd since most come in 44 or 44.5 sizing when you look. The Crispi boots size 11 are 44.5 which should be the closest to you Salomons, sorry for the long winded reply but hope that makes sense/helps??

I know for me anytime I now buy boots if they are a size 44.5 Euro I know they should fit. I ended up with a Crispi THOR II in size 11 - Euro 44.5, I also got a pair of the Asolo Europe Hunter Gore-tex boots and had to order them in 10.5 which came out to be 44.5. I also have them in 11 which is just a bit big.

Not on your list but you might take a look at those Asolo's if you have a not overly wide foot, they have been fantastic boots and for the price are a heck of a deal.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
I had to replace my usual boots last fall and looked at various brands and also the sizing for each. Nothing new but what helped me decide on what size to order was looking not only at the US size guide but also what size they are on their Euro size guide which IMHO makes it more easy to select the right size between different brands.

So on looking at the Salomom sizing guide, they say their 10.5 US is a 44 2/3 Euro?? Thats a little odd since most come in 44 or 44.5 sizing when you look. The Crispi boots size 11 are 44.5 which should be the closest to you Salomons, sorry for the long winded reply but hope that makes sense/helps??

I know for me anytime I now buy boots if they are a size 44.5 Euro I know they should fit. I ended up with a Crispi THOR II in size 11 - Euro 44.5, I also got a pair of the Asolo Europe Hunter Gore-tex boots and had to order them in 10.5 which came out to be 44.5. I also have them in 11 which is just a bit big.

Not on your list but you might take a look at those Asolo's if you have a not overly wide foot, they have been fantastic boots and for the price are a heck of a deal.

Thank you this information is super helpful and I will def consider your recommendation. Trying to get as much feedback as I can on these options.

Geewhiz

WKR
The salomons I had were the most comfortable boots I have ever had, but they lost their waterproofing right away and they wore out much faster than any other boots I've owned. Also, they are cheap

Thank you this information is super helpful and I will def consider your recommendation. Trying to get as much feedback as I can on these options.
Here is a link to a thread about these boots. For anyone that has a narrower to normal width foot these are the best deal going @ $230 bucks. We get some pretty darn wet weather in Oregon most hunting seasons and so far these are 100% waterproof and where comfortable out of the box. The are a pretty stiff boot as far as the flex goes but not uber heavy and just dang nice.

wyosteve

WKR
Coincidentally, I just got back from an aoudad hunt where I wore my Crispi Colorado's that I got a few months ago to try on the trip. Last hunt down there I used my Salomon's and found the stiffness of the sole to be lacking on the volcanic rock. Night and day difference with the Crispi's. The sole is nice and stiff so couldn't even feel the rocks on my feet. Sizing to me is identical and true to fit. The only thing different on my Colorado's are that I got the wide version. I have tried other Crispi's and they felt narrow/tight on my feet. The wide version is perfect with a heavier pair of socks. Didn't get a chance to test waterproofness so can't comment on that. Overall, I was very pleased with the Colorado's.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Coincidentally, I just got back from an aoudad hunt where I wore my Crispi Colorado's that I got a few months ago to try on the trip. Last hunt down there I used my Salomon's and found the stiffness of the sole to be lacking on the volcanic rock. Night and day difference with the Crispi's. The sole is nice and stiff so couldn't even feel the rocks on my feet. Sizing to me is identical and true to fit. The only thing different on my Colorado's are that I got the wide version. I have tried other Crispi's and they felt narrow/tight on my feet. The wide version is perfect with a heavier pair of socks. Didn't get a chance to test waterproofness so can't comment on that. Overall, I was very pleased with the Colorado's.
IS there a reason you went with the colorado's over the Nevada's?

Venom One

WKR
I have Salomon X Ultra Mid GTX and Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX, and Crispi Kenai and Crispi Summit.

For out-of-the-box comfort (no break-in) and lightweight, Salomon's are tough to beat. I've had great luck with both pair of Salomon's. They've held up well and I haven't experienced a failure of the GTX like many others. I'm a fan of Salomon with one exception - the sole grip is lacking in muddy, loose soil, and wet wood conditions. I think it's a combination of shallow tread depth and non-aggressive design which makes them slick, rather than an issue with the sole compound. For a lightweight hiker where you aren't crawling up muddy slopes or walking on wet, slick wood, they're an excellent boot.

After several years of wearing Salomon's in the wet PNW, trying to ignore the number of times I slipped, I decided that eventually it was going to cause a serious injury and started looking for a new boot. I initially got the Crispi Summit, which solved the grip issue, but I really didn't like the look of the boot (the material started collapsing after just wearing them during early season), and they didn't seem to have a lot of lateral support. I sold them and got a pair of Kenai (same as Nevada except they're a full grain leather). So far I really like them, but I've only worn them for late season. They're quite comfortable out-of-the-box (no issues wearing them all day, every day) and should only get better as the leather wears in. Fit-wise, I have an average foot (no arch or width issues). The Kenai fit great for me in the same size I wear for sneakers/casual wear. And, they're a great-looking boot...

Reactions: prm

wyosteve

WKR
The only reason I went with he Colorado's is that I found them used at a good price. Since it was kind of an 'experiment' with the boots, I didn't want to go full price until I knew whether they would work for me.

dtrkyman

WKR
Saloman x ultra were super comfy right out the box, smoked a pair in less thn a year, they did warranty them. Crispi I tried did not fit me well and gave me a blister, had the Attiva mids.

I knew better than to buy boots I couldn't try on first!

prm

WKR
I have used multiple pairs of Salomons. Recently picked up Crispi Kenais. Very similar to Nevadas from what I read. I think they fit similarly to the Quests. I got a .5 size larger on the Kenais because my other hunting boots all felt a little tight. So far, the Crispis are really impressing me. I’ve tried a number of boots to find a replacement for my Salomons and these seem to be it. Need more miles to be certain.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Thanks for all the advice here everyone. Not sure if anyone has any experience with the Schnee Beartooth as they seem to get great reviews as well and seem to be similar compared to the Crispi Nevada/Kenai.

CB4

WKR
Salomon Quest 4 were the worst boots I ever bought. Had an upper separate from the sole, filed a warranty and got a brand new pair. New pair did the same thing. They also put a lot of pressure on my achilles.

Then bought Crispi Colorado Gen 1. I have used them for 3 years and have well over 250 miles on them. They are great. A little small in the toe box but I don't notice it unless I am focusing on it and moving my toes around.

IMO - stay with a higher end brand, there are great deals to be had. Crispi, Salewa, Zamberlan...

Firehawk

WKR
IS there a reason you went with the colorado's over the Nevada's?
I know you weren't asking me, but I own both Nevadas and Colorados. I prefer the Colorados most of the time. They breathe better and fit my foot slightly better. The Nevadas are a very well made boot, but I definitely think the Colorado fits my foot better, even if it is a slight difference. I have the original Colorado, I haven't tried the Colorado II yet. Still have loads of life left in mine.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned multiple pairs of Salomons and Crispis. My feet definitely prefer the Crispis. Using Thors right now which I love but my next boot is going to be the Zamberlain Baltoro. I tried a pair of those on and was really impressed.

BrodieBC

FNG
My last pair of Salomons lasted like 3-4 months of mild use. I was really not impressed. I have a pair of Crispi thors now and first impressions are theyre tough as hell. Time will tell though.

prm

WKR
Follow-up. Now that I have a reasonable number of miles on the Kenais I can say they are the new boot for me. I did try a few different insoles and the new Superfeet Adapt Hike are perfect. More support than factory insole, but they have a softer layer against the foot than the Greens, or Guides.

Follow-up. Now that I have a reasonable number of miles on the Kenais I can say they are the new boot for me. I did try a few different insoles and the new Superfeet Adapt Hike are perfect. More support than factory insole, but they have a softer layer against the foot than the Greens, or Guides.
So looked these up on their website - are they a pretty thin insole?? I'd like to try these on my THORS but don't want anything thicker versus thin and it appears these would be great.