Crispi vs Salomon

prm

WKR
So looked these up on their website - are they a pretty thin insole?? I'd like to try these on my THORS but don't want anything thicker versus thin and it appears these would be great.
I would not say they are thick, but they are a bit thicker than the regular Crispi insole. It wasn't so much of a difference that I couldn't adjust with lacing.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
Salomon is mass produced at contract factories on the Pacific Rim. It’s mass market stuff geared for volume over quality.

Crispi (like many other Euro brands) manufactures in Europe in facilities where the cost of labor doesn’t allow for them to make Asia level junk. You will get much more boot for your money with Crispi, Zamberlan and many of the others mentioned here. Deals are out there if you look.

Salomon’s most expensive boot is cheaper than Crispis cheapest. That’s a sign of something.

2-Stix

WKR
I have about 20 years of running Salomoms for hiking and backpacking. They dont do anything great and nothing that bad. But they are not for hunting in my opinion. Out of the box very comfortable and really great for everyone. As a hiker they are the best. Big sole surface, sole is long wearing, but they are limited in elevation with not much ankle support, and terrible for wet weather. The sole lasts, the upper doesn't is my experience. They have a place for hiking and camping for me only. I run crispi for hunting, lapponia, nevada and wild rocks. Crispi is the twice the boot. They both have there place.

I have used multiple pairs of Salomons. Recently picked up Crispi Kenais. Very similar to Nevadas from what I read. I think they fit similarly to the Quests. I got a .5 size larger on the Kenais because my other hunting boots all felt a little tight. So far, the Crispis are really impressing me. I’ve tried a number of boots to find a replacement for my Salomons and these seem to be it. Need more miles to be certain.
How did sizing run for you going from Salomons to Crispis?
I have Salomon X Ultra Mid GTX and Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX, and Crispi Kenai and Crispi Summit.

For out-of-the-box comfort (no break-in) and lightweight, Salomon's are tough to beat. I've had great luck with both pair of Salomon's. They've held up well and I haven't experienced a failure of the GTX like many others. I'm a fan of Salomon with one exception - the sole grip is lacking in muddy, loose soil, and wet wood conditions. I think it's a combination of shallow tread depth and non-aggressive design which makes them slick, rather than an issue with the sole compound. For a lightweight hiker where you aren't crawling up muddy slopes or walking on wet, slick wood, they're an excellent boot.

After several years of wearing Salomon's in the wet PNW, trying to ignore the number of times I slipped, I decided that eventually it was going to cause a serious injury and started looking for a new boot. I initially got the Crispi Summit, which solved the grip issue, but I really didn't like the look of the boot (the material started collapsing after just wearing them during early season), and they didn't seem to have a lot of lateral support. I sold them and got a pair of Kenai (same as Nevada except they're a full grain leather). So far I really like them, but I've only worn them for late season. They're quite comfortable out-of-the-box (no issues wearing them all day, every day) and should only get better as the leather wears in. Fit-wise, I have an average foot (no arch or width issues). The Kenai fit great for me in the same size I wear for sneakers/casual wear. And, they're a great-looking boot...
I experienced exactly what you’re talking about regarding poor traction on wet wood with the Salomon’s. I took a bad fall last elk season in the oregon coast range on a wet log. The poor traction on all the hill work we did is why I’m looking at new boots now, and I’ve got my eye on some of the Crispi and Kenetrek models.

jcmupar

FNG
Crispi’s all day. I have the Colorados and the Kenais. The wider toe boxes on the Crispis help on those long days when your feet swell or you want to wear a thicker sock. Highly recommend an aftermarket insole for a little extra cushion.

JHL

FNG
I have been running the Solomon Quest 4 for the past 2 years and was looking for something a little firmer for steep terrain I have found myself in and the Crispi are number 1 in my list.