Creepy experiences in the backcountry

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
My post above got me thinking about a couple of creepy stories related to the same property that I haven't thought about in some time. One is mine, and one is from a cousin. I have heard talk of other stories over the years, but I've yet to hear them in full detail.

I'll set the stage with a little bit of history about the property. Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors.

The property sits on a large bend in the Grand River. The Grand starts in Hillsdale County in southern Michigan, not far from the Ohio border. It flows some 250 miles northwest through the state capitol in Lansing and continues on a twisting northwest path eventually emptying into Lake Michigan at the city of Grand Haven. Before white settlers and their dams, there used to be a mile long stretch of rapids that gave the city of Grand Rapids its name.

The natives called it Owashtanong, which in Ottawa translates to "Far-Flowing Water." As you can imagine, the river was a major travel route for the native Americans and early settlers.

The area is also along the route of Grand River Road, a road that was originally a native trail that followed various rivers, including the Red Cedar and Grand, from Detroit to Portland and eventually to Grand Rapids.

Back to the property-it is just shy of 200 acres and sits almost directly south of the city of Portland, MI, on the aforementioned bend of the Grand River. Portland is a city first settled in 1833. The first settlers built a trading post on Bogue Flats in the city and interacted extensively with the many natives in the area.

Among those natives was Chief Okemos, who has a city named after him on the Red Cedar River, a tributary of the Grand.

https://project.geo.msu.edu/geogmich/okemosgrave.html.

The Red Cedar is famous in these parts for being the river that runs through the campus of Michigan State University (Go Green!).

The property had at least one native village on it, with another larger one across the river called Shimnicon. It is here in Shimnicon that Chief Okemos is buried.

The property first came into my wife's family in the early 1900s. The house that her cousin now lives in on the north end of the property was originally a stagecoach stop. Stagecoaches forded the Grand River along the old path of the Grand River Road/Trail south of Portland. Many years ago Grand Rive Avenue was rerouted north to avoid this part of the river and the slight valley it sits in.

Over the years dams were built up and down river, so the water level is higher than it was in the time of the stagecoach. If you look closely in the dry months of summer when the river is low, you can still see where the banks and river bottom were reinforced with field stones to facilitate the passage of the stagecoaches. If you walk up the hill to the northwest, you can clearly see a well worn wagon path leading to the house.

Over the years family members have collected a large number of arrow and spear points along the river as well as in the yard surrounding the house. My wife's grandpa was fond of saying "the Indians were in the garden again" when he, his children, or grandchildren would find stone points while tilling and planting the vegetable patch.

I first met my wife some 22 years ago. Shortly thereafter I was warmly welcomed into the annual family deer camp - they must have seen the hook in my mouth that escaped me at the time because they were very guarded about access to the property and no one outside of the family hunted it with rare exception.

One of the first things her uncle proudly showed me was the family collection of stone points. I recall counting at least 75 distinct pieces, if not more. I am by no means an expert on the subject, but from the limited research I've done the collection represented a broad range of time from the Neolithic to the Woodland Indian period. I was of course curious why he would show me these points prior to my first opening day of deer season with my soon to be in-laws. The question was answered when he told me "I'm showing you this so you understand there are things you won't understand at times when you're out there."

I had no idea what this meant until one turkey season some 4 or 5 years later. Mind you, I had archery and gun hunted the property many times in those first few years with good success. I had never been truly scared when on stand before daylight or waiting for dark to climb down so I wouldn't scare the deer lingering in the fields. Sure, I was creeped out a few times due to my own imagination, but nothing like what I experienced that April dusk.

I had been out for a couple hours before dark, trying to pattern the birds and see where they were roosting. My plan was to find that out and come out the next morning ready to bust a nice gobbler right after fly down. Of course the birds ended up roosting on the far southwest corner of the property, about as far you could get from where my truck was parked on the north end near the old stagecoach ford area, just south of the house.

The sun had just set as I neared the ford area. I was maybe 200 yards from the ford when I saw what I thought was a light on a boat close to the opposite river bank. As I got closer, I heard splashing and saw the light bob back and forth. No big deal until I heard the distinct sound of horse leather and metal bits and pieces clinking and squeaking, along with a low voice alternately calling what sounded like "gee" and "haw." Before you ask how do I know that what that means and sounds like, I grew up on a farm and my father had a team of ponies that he used in pulling competitions. I also had two uncles that had Belgian draft horses they showed at county fairs and pulled wagons in what seemed like every small town's festival parade for 40 miles around. I can't tell you how many times growing up I saw pony pulling competitions or tossed candy out of a wagon in a parade.

Back to the lights and sounds - I didn't really process it at first... I kept thinking those are weird sounds to be coming from someone night fishing.

My truck was parked about 125 yards more or less due west from the ford on the two track that led up the hill and out to the road. As I got closer the light and sounds seemed as if they were crossing the river, heading toward the back area of the house/old stagecoach stop. The closer I got, the dimmer the light got and the quieter the splashing, voices, and creaking and clinking became. I don't know when the light went out or the sounds died away because at this point I had stopped walking and was running at a pace that would shame Forrest Gump. I made it to my truck in record time, started it up , and flew up the two track and out to the road quivering like a scared child.

Cousin's story:

There is a good sized field (give or take 60 acres) along the river just south of the old ford. This field is longer than wide running north to south. More than a few stone points have been found in this field over the years. The entire area to this day is full of deer and turkey, and was probably even more so before white men. Heck, I'm sure there were elk, deer, wolves, and bear in abundance in those times when it was all forest. It was for sure fertile hunting ground, and people have been there for thousands of years... to this point I have been remiss in pointing out the area across the river east of the property is a state game area.

My wife's cousin is a solid guy. Let's call him J. for these purposes. J. is a hard working family man, serious when he needs to be, and funny as hell in deer camp. I've never known him to exaggerate or stretch the truth.

He relates a story when he was in high school and he and another cousin were tasked with discing the big field along the river. They started on it one weeknight after dinner. It had been pretty dry and things were dusty. The way they went about it was he was on one tractor, slightly behind and to the side of the other cousin on his tractor going north and south. They did it this way so as to cover more ground and get it done quickly.

J. says they were about 1/3 of the way through the field when the sun began to set. It was then he started to see in the tractor's headlights what he thought were the outlines of figures swirling in the dust kicked up by the discs and the tractors.

His first thought was his mind was just playing trick on him, so he ignored it until the next pass when he got about mid-field and distinctly saw what appeared to be people with long hair dressed in what he described as native clothing. When he got to the end of the field, the other cousin had stopped his tractor and was climbing off.

J. stopped his tractor, got off, and went to see what the other cousin wanted. He said they both stood looking at each for a moment when they both said at the same time - "did you see anything weird in the dust," at which point they made a joint decision to haul ass out of the field and come back and finish the job during daylight on the weekend.

I'll see what other stories I can tease out at the next family gathering. With any luck I'll have something new to post.
I float hunted through there yesterday and the whole time thought about your post! No strange happenings to speak of though.

As a much younger man I used to fish the high lakes in the Oregon Cascades. Davis, Wickiup, Crane Prairie.

Used to drink a fair bit, too. A few of us.

We’d tie one on, then cover ourselves with aluminum foil. Full dark, wait behind a tree by the side of the main drag, until a car came by. Run across the road in the full glare of the headlights.

Probably created a few stories.

P

Coldtrail

WKR
As a much younger man I used to fish the high lakes in the Oregon Cascades. Davis, Wickiup, Crane Prairie.

Used to drink a fair bit, too. A few of us.

We’d tie one on, then cover ourselves with aluminum foil. Full dark, wait behind a tree by the side of the main drag, until a car came by. Run across the road in the full glare of the headlights.

Probably created a few stories.

P
Since the door has been opened, I and a few others are still persons of interest in several incidents involving a dept store mannequin removed from a J.C. Penny dumpster, dressed in a black sweat suit, and thrown from the ditch and into the path of bar time traffic around 2am.....the screaming and THUP, THUP as the tires rolled over it were priceless.

Rokbar

WKR
Since the door has been opened, I and a few others are still persons of interest in several incidents involving a dept store mannequin removed from a J.C. Penny dumpster, dressed in a black sweat suit, and thrown from the ditch and into the path of bar time traffic around 2am.....the screaming and THUP, THUP as the tires rolled over it were priceless.
You would probably be charged with murder today! That would have been funny to see, as long as you weren't in the car.

Coldtrail

WKR
You would probably be charged with murder today! That would have been funny to see, as long as you weren't in the car.
I thought it was relatively wholesome entertainment for the era, done today I'm not sure how many vehicles would withstand a mannequin bouncing off the front & not have to be removed with a tow truck!

Back in the day when I worked as an auto mechanic we would prank each other pretty bad with our vehicles. I went out and wired up my buddy's car horn to their headlamps. It's a riot when the drunk comes out and wants to quietly drive away in their vehicle and make it home without anyone noticing. We were harsh on each other that way but it was a a hoot and nobody we all worked with was safe. Pranks wouldn't actually hurt anyone but were pretty obnoxious.

bnsafe

WKR
Ive got the scariest story ever, I saw a snake, lol. gosh I hate those things.
seriously, when I was in high school a long time ago my buddies grandmother died. they lived in the country a long ways from anything. we went fishing about a week later. when we came back the lights were on in his grandmothers house. he tells me they have been doing that since his grandmother died. we turned them off and went and ate. about a hour later, they are back on. we turn them off and went away, sure enough awhile later they were back on. we got a gun and went looking throughout the house but nobody was there. later he told me that kept happening for about a month then just stopped.
again while in grade school I was turkey hunting in mo. i saw a deer run thru, being chased by 2 coon hounds, then a couple minutes later a solid black thing followed them. I assumed it was another dog so no big deal. about a half hour later I was walking out with my decoy strung over my back and I got a strange feeling something was behind me. I turned around and that black thing was prob 10 yds from me coming right at me, no noise at all, not a peep. when I turned it spooked I guess and went another direction and the tail was all the way to the ground with a little curl in it. I am positive it was a black mnt lion as there was sighting all over back then even tho the conservation denied it at the time. I assume it saw my decoy moving thru the brush and was looking to kill it and spooked when I turned.

def90

WKR
Ive got the scariest story ever, I saw a snake, lol. gosh I hate those things.
seriously, when I was in high school a long time ago my buddies grandmother died. they lived in the country a long ways from anything. we went fishing about a week later. when we came back the lights were on in his grandmothers house. he tells me they have been doing that since his grandmother died. we turned them off and went and ate. about a hour later, they are back on. we turn them off and went away, sure enough awhile later they were back on. we got a gun and went looking throughout the house but nobody was there. later he told me that kept happening for about a month then just stopped.
again while in grade school I was turkey hunting in mo. i saw a deer run thru, being chased by 2 coon hounds, then a couple minutes later a solid black thing followed them. I assumed it was another dog so no big deal. about a half hour later I was walking out with my decoy strung over my back and I got a strange feeling something was behind me. I turned around and that black thing was prob 10 yds from me coming right at me, no noise at all, not a peep. when I turned it spooked I guess and went another direction and the tail was all the way to the ground with a little curl in it. I am positive it was a black mnt lion as there was sighting all over back then even tho the conservation denied it at the time. I assume it saw my decoy moving thru the brush and was looking to kill it and spooked when I turned.

Black mtn lions or panthers do not exist.

bnsafe

WKR
yea, thats what the conservation says to, but a cat the same size an shape as a mnt lion was 10 yds from me, and my parents have a picture of a black cat that was laying on top of a square haybale with his back feet hanging off the back and his front hanging off the front. Ive seen alot of cats in my life, this was WAY bigger.

OdinIII

Lil-Rokslider
yea, thats what the conservation says to, but a cat the same size an shape as a mnt lion was 10 yds from me, and my parents have a picture of a black cat that was laying on top of a square haybale with his back feet hanging off the back and his front hanging off the front. Ive seen alot of cats in my life, this was WAY bigger.

Can you post or PM that picture?

Pdzoller

WKR
While rare, black jaguars and leopards do exist. Jaguars have been documented in North America. Also, there are many shady owners of exotics that seldom report escaped specimens. I’ll take someone’s word on what they claim to have seen.

Pdzoller

WKR
Several years ago, a friend and I were driving from Waldo to Cultus. You know the road. It was mid October and almost dark. We see a guy walking in just a t shirt and shorts towards Cultus. Knowing he was still a long way from anything we stopped to ask if he needed a ride. I asked if he wanted a ride to the resort. He said, shit you not, “You’re going to take me to Lapine”. I’m like sorry dude but I’m not going that far, I’ll drop you off at the resort. Dude pulls a pocket knife and repeats “You’re taking me to Lapine”. I casually drove off and left him to his long dark and cold walk back to civilization.

def90

WKR
Could it be melanistic?

I have a melanistic coyote at my lease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No melanistic lions/panthers exist or have ever existed.

There are melanistic leopards/jaguars and bobcats.

Sightings of black cats are always feral cats or bobcats, obviously bobcats do not have long tails so that leaves feral cats. Feral cats in Australia can grow to be twice the size of a normal house cat so I would expect something similar here.