Crazy - Factory Ammo vs. Handload Costs

SloppyJ

WKR
This will be a first for me. I picked up a new 6.5PRC barrel so I was looking at components and getting started. I want to shoot the 140 Berger EH bullet and use Lapua brass.

Well hey, Berger uses lapua brass, I wonder what the cost difference would be if I just buy their stuff to get 100 pieces of brass to get going?

I can find 20rd boxes of the factory Berger loads for $55. 100rds is $280. We will leave shipping out of it although it would skew the numbers to the factory ammo being even cheaper.

Here's my breakdown on the handloads
100ct Lapua Brass - $180
100ct Berger 140 Elite Hunters - $60
Primers - 10cents each - $10
Powder - We'll say $50/lb or roughly 40 cents per load - $40
Total - $290

Thought this was an interesting math problem and this doesn't factor in my time to reload either which seems to be more precious as the days go by.

Anyway, I figured some of yall would find some entertainment in this. I could use some Peterson and save $40 but I'd happily pay that $40 (or much more) for my time.

Taudisio

WKR
Start with 100 rounds of Berger ammo, then the second 100 (third, fourth, fifth also), brass is free. There is your $$$

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
$440 plus your original $280 is $720 for 500 rounds. That’s $1400 in factory rounds. Almost half price

Yeah that's the plan. Not going to steadily feed it factory but only buy enough to get the brass.

waspocrew

WKR
The difference between factory and handloading was obviously much better a few years back. I handload a lot, so I tend to purchase in 8lbs of powder, 500 ct projectiles, etc which does get the cost down a little more compared to singles of powder and 100 ct boxes.

I am with you regarding time though - figuring the cost of time to handload makes factory ammo (especially when it shoots very well) much more appealing.

Maverick1

WKR
This will be a first for me. I picked up a new 6.5PRC barrel so I was looking at components and getting started. I want to shoot the 140 Berger EH bullet and use Lapua brass.

Well hey, Berger uses lapua brass, I wonder what the cost difference would be if I just buy their stuff to get 100 pieces of brass to get going?

I can find 20rd boxes of the factory Berger loads for $55. 100rds is $280. We will leave shipping out of it although it would skew the numbers to the factory ammo being even cheaper.

Here's my breakdown on the handloads
100ct Lapua Brass - $180
100ct Berger 140 Elite Hunters - $60
Primers - 10cents each - $10
Powder - We'll say $50/lb or roughly 40 cents per load - $40
Total - $290

Thought this was an interesting math problem and this doesn't factor in my time to reload either which seems to be more precious as the days go by.

Anyway, I figured some of yall would find some entertainment in this. I could use some Peterson and save $40 but I'd happily pay that $40 (or much more) for my time.
I went to the range yesterday evening to check zero on two firearms. It was fairly busy with multiple people shooting. In the one hour I was there, between setting up, pulling the trigger, and making a few elevation adjustments on the dials, I fired a total of 26 rounds. While I’m an infrequent range-goer, especially compared to some, I wonder how frequently (and how long) does one shoot at the range to get through the several hundred rounds it takes to make hand loading economical? The answer is likely “it depends” - on many factors. For some, the 500 rounds listed above might be an ordinary day or week. For others it might be multiple years worth of shooting.

Taudisio

WKR
I went to the range yesterday evening to check zero on two firearms. It was fairly busy with multiple people shooting. In the one hour I was there, between setting up, pulling the trigger, and making a few elevation adjustments on the dials, I fired a total of 26 rounds. While I’m an infrequent range-goer, especially compared to some, I wonder how frequently (and how long) does one shoot at the range to get through the several hundred rounds it takes to make hand loading economical? The answer is likely “it depends” - on many factors. For some, the 500 rounds listed above might be an ordinary day or week. For others it might be multiple years worth of shooting.
I’m over 850 rounds through a rifle I finished building April 20th this year. Probably not your typical shooter though.

Definitely a good way to get brass. But, for me, Berger factory ammo was a bust. 6.5 Creed 140 Hybrid SRP, grouped great at 100 yards but fell apart at range. High ES/SD. Pulled a box and weighed charges, that was an eye opener I’ll never forget. Literally one grain variation in powder charge out of a single box. This was around 2016/17 ish so the Berger factory ammo was fairly new. Hopefully it has gotten better.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR

Every match I go shoot is good for 125 to 150rds between zero check, confirming dope, and the match. I've been doing one every month during the summer. I'm shooting a 6 creed so factor in a new barrel or two every year at a minimum too.

Headed to a S2H class next spring and I'll bring 1k rounds of .223 with me.

Now I have quite a few guns that get about 100 to 150rds on them to break them in and perfect a load. After that it's pretty slow going for those rifles.

I like to to tinker with new bullets and loads so I go through quite a bit. Since I started reloading, I shoot MUCH more than I did before and I'm a much better shot for it. What really opened it up for me was finding a local 1200yd range and local PRS matches. But now I'm extremely confident making shots I'd never dreamt of before.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Definitely a good way to get brass. But, for me, Berger factory ammo was a bust. 6.5 Creed 140 Hybrid SRP, grouped great at 100 yards but fell apart at range. High ES/SD. Pulled a box and weighed charges, that was an eye opener I’ll never forget. Literally one grain variation in powder charge out of a single box. This was around 2016/17 ish so the Berger factory ammo was fairly new. Hopefully it has gotten better.

Good to know. I'm hoping they shoot okay but I'm really doing it for the brass and barrel break in. I'd be pissed if they were off a full grain between them.